Jack Bird to remain at Red Hill despite testing his value on the open market

Does anyone know if bird as a similar clause like Boyd ie has to play a minimum number of games to trigger his option for 2021?

I wouldn’t think so, they’re at completely different stages of their career.

If bird is fit and healthy he walks straight into the broncos team. Not sure why Lockyer says he can fight his way back in. It’s a good sign he’s staying imo, a weaker character would leave with the luck he’s had. Plus he’s on 1.5 million a year.

you realise these guys have contracts right ... we can't force them to piss off; if Macca and Boyd want to sit in reserve grade and collect their pay checks there is not a damn thing we can do about it
I know, and I'd be happy to let them, but I fear that we will not force them into QCup, but will instead include them in the run on 17.

Also, the sheer stupidity of allowing aging players to have options in their favour beggars belief. Whichever idiots on the Board signed off on all of these over-priced (Bird/Milford) and/or aging contracts (Macca/Boyd) should be fired.

Last edited:
If bird is fit and healthy he walks straight into the broncos team. Not sure why Lockyer says he can fight his way back in. It’s a good sign he’s staying imo, a weaker character would leave with the luck he’s had. Plus he’s on 1.5 million a year.

I wouldn’t say leaving would be a weak character trait. Sometimes it’s best to cut your losses and get out.

I really hope Jack stays fit, because while he didn’t do a lot per se, he was one of about 4 guys putting effort in during that first two months and showed he wanted to be playing

you realise these guys have contracts right ... we can't force them to piss off; if Macca and Boyd want to sit in reserve grade and collect their pay checks there is not a damn thing we can do about it

and further to your point, if they do indeed chose to stay put and play in reserve grade, we will still be salary cap restricted

Seriously, is anyone else thinking we’re just going to field the same shit team we did last year? After the finals loss I thought they’d do a purge for sure, but no, still got Macca and Boyd, not getting rid of Bird to buy in someone we actually need, just the same old shit.

Only change I can see on the horizon as a possibility is Bird to either 6 in place of Boyd with Boyd to 4 or Bird to fullback, Milf back to 6 and Boyd to 4. If Bird’s in the team we’ll at least be spared from Shiba, but having to carry Boyd and Macca is depressing.

Nope, nobody thinks that

Bird's inclusion just on it's own is a change

Hard to do that in the off season tbf. I think we're going to see a fair bit of movement during the break.
The essential off-season action i would like to see is fifita and staggs re-signed and a game managing half signed (what ever we need to do to get t his done, needs to be done). Other movements are icing on top.

He had Oates humming on the wing whilst he was playing. It was beginning to be a decent looking combo.

Not that slotting him back into centre solves the Darius Boyd positional issue.

Damn

Don't fall for the lies fellas. I will say it one final time then shut up till it happens, Jack Bird will not be a bronco next year. A deal will be struck for him to leave soon, mark my words. Don't say you didn't hear it here first!
Hahaha will believe it when I see it.

But it is looking VERY unlikely

Last edited:
I'm thinking we'll play a lot like the bunnies in their premiership year next year.

Lots of explosive forward action, speed in the ruck and offloads from TPJ & Haas. Clever running halves
(my money is on 7 Croft 6 Milford)
And powerful fullback in Bird.

On paper it all makes sense... Just need an extremely intense off season to learn the new model with all souls on board to play to the new game plan and style. Bennett ball will be a year further from their minds. They'll be fitter. Because I noticed a LOT this year it was mostly effort and energy we lacked this year. Lots of one out individual brilliance at times.. if we can get that individual performance at a team level, create some synergy.... The team will hum.

Just need that 7 signing to fix our in game kicking problem.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  • Old Mate
  • Morepudding
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.