OFFICIAL James Roberts granted immediate release

Bennett as coach would have a say in the players coming here. Also as far back as the 90’s he had a say in how much the players were worth and refused to pay higher than certain rates. The board certainly would have rubber stamped the contracts based on advice from the football department recruitment and coaching so to absolve WB of any part in it is extremely naive.
**** me, some can be stupid. When WB returned it was knowing he WOULD NOT HAVE the power he had in his first stint. Quoting the 90s or at least WBs position then is idiotic. I did not at any stage absolve WB of responsibility. I clearly stated he had imput and his opinions were doubtless taken on board. The rubber stamp claim is not only unsupported by evidence, it's plainly dumb. So far I've used dumb, stupid and idiotic. That's how highly I regard your post. Yes, I'm grumpy and old and cannot do much about one of those things. You on the other hand, can change.

I'm not a bitter ex, because I didn't want the bloke back to start with. I absolutely strongly dislike him as a person, and don't believe he is anywhere near as good a coach as he is a manager. I've never pretended otherwise.
Being a good coach requires good man management. By all accounts Jason Taylor knows a thing or two about the technical side of coaching but isn't much chop when it comes to getting the best out of his players. I'm hoping Seibold (finally got it right thanks Tom) continues to improve in this area, obviously experience helps tremendously and he is only in his second year.
Perhaps calling him your messiah is unfair, because you've always been a pretty balanced poster who I do respect on BHQ.
However, I think you're kidding yourself if you think you're not displaying bias towards Wayne.

I repeat, Wayne approached the club, and did so after stating he would never unseat a coach under contract, so he definitely backstabbed Hook. I knew this before Wayne's return became news, and there are people here who know this too.
To me, that makes all the difference between him and Seibold.

The coach dancing chairs is the least of my concerns. The Broncos approached Seibs for 2020, souffs did the same for Bennett, at which point negotiations ensued for an earlier coach swap. Nothing wrong about that imo.

Seibs certainly didn't handle the whole affair with aplomb, but I'm not about to bag him about being upset for his kids at the consequences of WB's machinations.

FTR, based on everything I've heard from reliable sources about this and past situations, I absolutely trust Seibold and White's version of the whole affair over Wayne's.
If you're using a set of facts different to those available publicly then I'm not sure it's correct to describe a difference in perspective as bias.
Finally, why isn't it logical to believe Seibold was suffering the consequences of what he inherited at the start of the season, or be happy he did with Kodi what Wayne should've done in 2017, or at the very least in 2018?
It's perfectly logical to believe that in and of itself but it's not consistent with the level of expectations in the preseason. Wayne left us with a good squad that Seibold took a while to kick on with. This doesn't make either of them bad coaches, Wayne built a team to play his way and Seibold does things differently. No biggie.

I do blame the board though, if they wanted Wayne gone no matter what then instead of saying he'd stay while privately negotiating for a swap deal they should have just sacked him. Our team would have benefited from the extra time to transition and ultimately that's what they're supposed to be supporting.
I also applaud his stance on Roberts, which I think will be highly beneficial for the team, and something I don't believe WB would have done either.
Not sure, I don't think Wayne would have dropped James but I also think he'd be performing well so it's pretty moot.

I'm hoping Seibold (finally got it right thanks Tom) continues to improve in this area, obviously experience helps tremendously and he is only in his second year.

The Souths players really liked Seibold and you can tell how highly they thought of him by how disappointed they were to lose him. I think he is already a decent man manager but like you said, hopefully he continues to improve.

As did the club and most of their fans who also now mostly regard him as a traitor. That however really shows the extent of their disappointment. Hopefully he live up to that standard here and sway those of us who are less convinced of his attributes.

Last edited:
Being a good coach requires good man management. By all accounts Jason Taylor knows a thing or two about the technical side of coaching but isn't much chop when it comes to getting the best out of his players. I'm hoping Seibold (finally got it right thanks Tom) continues to improve in this area, obviously experience helps tremendously and he is only in his second year.
Sure, I won't argue with that at all. I won't go as far as saying that Bennett's coaching ability is as bad as J Taylor's man management either.

If you're using a set of facts different to those available publicly then I'm not sure it's correct to describe a difference in perspective as bias.
The second part may not be public knowledge (although it was discussed here). The first however, definitely was.

It's perfectly logical to believe that in and of itself but it's not consistent with the level of expectations in the preseason. Wayne left us with a good squad that Seibold took a while to kick on with. This doesn't make either of them bad coaches, Wayne built a team to play his way and Seibold does things differently. No biggie.
I don't guide myself by the level of expectations from others or the media, who looked at the quality of our roster, but were forgetting our limitations.
Yes, he did leave us with a good roster in most positions, but most of the problems Seibold experienced were inherited from the previous years (average at best fullback, no halfback, a hooker who can't really manage a game, and 2 great running halves who practically couldn't organise a root in a brothel and had a pretty average kicking game), not to speak of the inconsistency and lack of defensive starch we were demonstrating regularly.
Add to this, the youthful inexperience and a period of adjustment to the new regime, and you end up with a stuttering start like we did.

I do blame the board though, if they wanted Wayne gone no matter what then instead of saying he'd stay while privately negotiating for a swap deal they should have just sacked him. Our team would have benefited from the extra time to transition and ultimately that's what they're supposed to be supporting.
You're merely echoing Wayne's version of events. The board's version from Morris, White and Lockyer is quite different, and I mean the public one.
You may pick one over the other because of a difference in perspective, but it is guided by bias.

Not sure, I don't think Wayne would have dropped James but I also think he'd be performing well so it's pretty moot.
Yes, quite possibly true for Roberts. Doubtful for the team...

Does anyone know or heard if any of the players are upset over Roberts getting moved on?

inherited from the previous years (average at best fullback, no halfback, a hooker who can't really manage a game, and 2 great running halves who practically couldn't organise a root in a brothel and had a pretty average kicking game), not to speak of the inconsistency and lack of defensive starch we were demonstrating regularly

For mine, putting all feelings about how the end of last year played out it's pretty difficult to disagree with the above summary.

There was a post by Offa on Instagram about Roberts that he would miss him.

First Wayne, now Surgess. **** I hope we blast Souths and whoever’s playing opposite Roberts gives him an absolute bath. Run Glenn and Staggs(?) at him all night

Doesn’t Wayne implement a strict “no shit haircuts” policy? I remember reading it a couple seasons back.

Insert Mr Burns shave those sideburns meme here

Doesn’t Wayne implement a strict “no shit haircuts” policy? I remember reading it a couple seasons back.

He got away with the mop and dirty mo last season. Granted it’s no ratty, but still

Don't think Turps got the memo then. Same this year too his latest is an out and out shocker. But as they say only six weeks between a good haircut and a bad one.

I seem to remember one of our fringe forwards had a godawful haircut. Come to think of it, maybe that's why he never got a run.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • Rambstien
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Aldo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.