Joel Clinton

S

sydney_bronco09

NYC Player
Apr 24, 2008
Alright guys, how this topic hasnt come up amazes me. One word comes to mine particularly with this signing. An absolute DUD. What a waste of player he is at our club and is on pretty decent money. Wouldnt mind getting rid of him to keep ennis id say!

Discuss........

We need to sure up Ben Hannant before we even think about letting a front rower of Clinton's experience!! Even if he hasnt set the world on fire so far this year.

He needs time to get over his little niggles, after that I believe he will be a very handy player.

I don't know ... a dud is perhaps a bit much. I know it doesn't tell the whole story but if you have a look at the NRL stats, he made 27 tackles against the Sharks with 0 misses. We seem to be slipping into old habits so far as 'missed tackles' goes. On top of that, he made 107 metres in hit-ups which was only 9 metres less than the best forward - Nick Kenny. I'll reserve judgement till after the 'horror stretch'.

I think he has picked up his game. He didnt drop the ball against the sharks.

Props arent meant to set the world on fire. Just cart the ball up and make tackles which he is doing.
He is no Civo or Webcke but he is playing well.

I agree on the dud call. Sims, wallace and marsh have all lived up to or exceeded expectations but clinton has not only not lived up to them, but been far far worse. Every time he gets the ball im sure hes going to drop it, and the rare times he holds the ball, he offers nothing in attack.

QUEENSLANDER said:
I agree on the dud call. Sims, wallace and marsh have all lived up to or exceeded expectations but clinton has not only not lived up to them, but been far far worse. Every time he gets the ball im sure hes going to drop it, and the rare times he holds the ball, he offers nothing in attack.

He is a prop! Props arent meant to offer much or anything in attack. They are in the team to make tackles and get the team going forward like Prince Langer stated.

I am not prepared to say he is a dud for us just yet. We need to give him more of a chance before we go trying to get rid of him.

As I said in my previous post, his experience is crucial to us at the moment with all our origin guys out. Him being a senior player at this time will hopefully make him play better.

I thought he was close to our best forward against the sharkies, Kenny beat him by a shade.

To date it appears a dud signing, but to be fair to Clinton we didn't exactly purchase him as a form prop costing a load of our cap. He's been riding a low for a fair while now and has been hampered by injury and limited game time so far this season.

I believe that in time the Broncos environment/culture of success (in contrast to Penrith), coupled with the qaulity staff and players will help revive him from the hole he's been in for a couple of years. Even on Saturday there was a real spring in his step during his first spell with some strong charges that reminded me of what he produced back in 2003/04.

A bit of patience is required I think. Remembering it's only early days in his career as a Bronco, and i'm sure Bennett and the club could see that he still has what it takes to reach his potential again otherwise they wouldn't have touched him. And if he comes close to finding that form again, we'll be unstoppable up front.

Just remember the predicament Ben Hannant was in when we picked him up. Dumped to Roosters reserve grade IIRC? Look at him now.

He's the Brad Meyers of 2008 for the Broncos.

give him the season if he hasn't pulled his weight by then he can be called a dud.

The fact he was injured in round 1 didn't help, but he certainly hasn't justified his cash yet.

That said, neither has Ashton Sims. I'd say Sims had 3 good games - first 3 of the season - and has been pretty disappointing since. He needs to lift his game.

Marsh has struggled since his rib injury too.

Only player who has consistently impressed when he's played is Wallace.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
Just remember the predicament Ben Hannant was in when we picked him up. Dumped to Roosters reserve grade IIRC? Look at him now.

Hannant was playing reserve grade for the Roosters when they promoted him to first grade. Then he signed with us and back to reserve grade he went.
Also i think we would have signed him as a fringe player that played well enough to be granted a regular bench spot.

Back to Clinton, give him some time and he will be a great signing.

He's doing better, but it's still only a matter of time in a game before he gives away a penalty, usually the first. What was Saturday, at the 2 minute mark?

I agree with Coxy and Rock, Sims is also going a bit poor of late and the pair of them during this origin period should be aiming up and showing their seniority.

The Rock said:
Coxy said:
The fact he was injured in round 1 didn't help, but he certainly hasn't justified his cash yet.

That said, neither has Ashton Sims. I'd say Sims had 3 good games - first 3 of the season - and has been pretty disappointing since. He needs to lift his game.

Marsh has struggled since his rib injury too.

Only player who has consistently impressed when he's played is Wallace.

Agreed. Sims has played 3 good games all year and has been crap since. He's no better or worse than Clinton IMO.

Thats three more than Clinton [icon_wink

if he was stilplaying as good as he was when he made the Aussie side then we wouldnt have had the money to sign him. We paid what he's worth atm.

But i think he will get better.

I think he's a dud signing. I never really rated him when he was playing for the Panthers.

Prove me wrong!!

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.