NEWS Judiciary: Live blog - Carrigan Four Week Suspension

One tackle goes awry and suddenly WE'RE the club that is coaching the hip drop? Surely NRL fans aren't that stupid to go along with that media narrative.
Ex players have been saying the technique comes from wrestling and martial arts skills that ALL clubs are now employing in defensive training. It's not specific to us.

Listen to what Gus says re grappling in tackles .
He says the tightness of jerseys means more wrestling to get a hold of players . Under hook , over hook . Grab the head .
Then backing into tackles and crusher tackles became the norm .

Bring back baggy jerseys and collars I say .
I watched that. It wasn't anything new to me, to be honest. I'm pretty sure I've explained tackling on here during the early days of the 6-again in a similar way. The issue is the reactionary response the NRL has to everything. Baggy Jerseys would mean more dislocated fingers and surely there would be a strangulation move that Melbourne would introduce.

At the end of that segment Gus basically ends his lecture by admitting that he has no solutions to the problem either. Really, the solution was given at the start, which is reward good tackles and punish bad ones on the field. A solid legs tackle, give them the 3 second hold time. A wrestle tackle, call them off after 3 seconds.

Most of the techniques Gus mentioned in there are obvious and cynical. Refs aren't stupid, they're being trained to be robotic and losing their discretion.

Anyway, if this continues, it will end up being touch football, until even that gets reffed out because someone's arm was too straight on the touch and they make every player wear some sort of phallic rubber object attached to their elbows to effect the tackle.

Kent's ranting is complete BS as usual.

Cherry-picking one of the many hip drop tackles from one weekend (where the NRL are trying to save face after many laughable non-charge decisions that weekend) and suspending that one player for 8 weeks (or even the 12 weeks that Kent said he wouldn't have a problem with) ... is absolutely not going to rid the game of the hip drop. coaches / players will still take the risk as long as the charges appear random.

now, if you were to hit every single player guilty of a hip drop with lengthy suspensions, well that's a different story. but the NRL aren't competent enough or willing enough to take that route, given they don't want a weekend where 5 players each get 6+ week suspensions (especially if those players are from some of the protected clubs in the game **cough** Storm **cough**)

just look at what they have done to the judiciary penalties this year, with the reduction in severity for many offences, like the shoulder charge, which they had pretty much eliminated, i wouldn't be surprised if it now starts creeping back into the game

Kent's ranting is complete BS as usual.

Cherry-picking one of the many hip drop tackles from one weekend (where the NRL are trying to save face after many laughable non-charge decisions that weekend) and suspending that one player for 8 weeks (or even the 12 weeks that Kent said he wouldn't have a problem with) ... is absolutely not going to rid the game of the hip drop. coaches / players will still take the risk as long as the charges appear random.

now, if you were to hit every single player guilty of a hip drop with lengthy suspensions, well that's a different story. but the NRL aren't competent enough or willing enough to take that route, given they don't want a weekend where 5 players each get 6+ week suspensions (especially if those players are from some of the protected clubs in the game **cough** Storm **cough**)

just look at what they have done to the judiciary penalties this year, with the reduction in severity for many offences, like the shoulder charge, which they had pretty much eliminated, i wouldn't be surprised if it now starts creeping back into the game
There are several stupid components of his argument.

Apparently this was their opportunity to go all out on the suspensions..... but why not use the Fuimuano incident from the trials that resulted in an ACL rupture??? Which also happened to occur before the "updates" to the judiciary system??

Also players are currently doing this tackle because no one has been heavily punished to date.... how would it be fair and appropriate to hit Carrigan hard by effectively amending the definition and punishment of hip drop tackles after the fact and then applying the "new" punishment retrospectively.

He's just completing a tackle in the same way 100's if not 1000's have already been completed this season, but because it results in injury you suddenly increase the punishment tenfold.

Apparently the NRL have been warning them for weeks about cracking down on this tackle.... did the NRL use this as an opportunity to amend the definitions and punishments for hip drop tackles in the MRC process??

Theres precedent to do this as they did on shoulder charges, crushers and head high shots over the last few years.

If a grade 2 hip drop was known to be an insufficient punishment weeks ago why didnt they ramp it up back then, instead of sending a Grade 2 incident to the judiciary to try and manufacture a more severe result.

There are several stupid components of his argument.

Apparently this was their opportunity to go all out on the suspensions..... but why not use the Fuimuano incident from the trials that resulted in an ACL rupture??? Which also happened to occur before the "updates" to the judiciary system??

Also players are currently doing this tackle because no one has been heavily punished to date.... how would it be fair and appropriate to hit Carrigan hard by effectively amending the definition and punishment of hip drop tackles after the fact and then applying the "new" punishment retrospectively.

He's just completing a tackle in the same way 100's if not 1000's have already been completed this season, but because it results in injury you suddenly increase the punishment tenfold.

Apparently the NRL have been warning them for weeks about cracking down on this tackle.... did the NRL use this as an opportunity to amend the definitions and punishments for hip drop tackles in the MRC process??

Theres precedent to do this as they did on shoulder charges, crushers and head high shots over the last few years.

If a grade 2 hip drop was known to be an insufficient punishment weeks ago why didnt they ramp it up back then, instead of sending a Grade 2 incident to the judiciary to try and manufacture a more severe result.

If they were serious about getting rid of the hip drop tackle, there were at least two that resulted in a significant injury. only one of them were charged.

Tatola did your classic hip drop on Will Kennedy, putting Kennedy out at least until the finals ... funnily enough the Souths player wasn't even charged, let alone referred directly to the judiciary (or had the entire NSW talking head brigade whinge about him for a week)

I look forward to all tackles that are even remotely "hip-drops" to be punished severely this weekend, if Pat's is considered beyond Grade 3 and worth 4 weeks even including mitigating factors. Any takers that there will be a distinct lack of consistency once again?

I look forward to all tackles that are even remotely "hip-drops" to be punished severely this weekend, if Pat's is considered beyond Grade 3 and worth 4 weeks even including mitigating factors. Any takers that there will be a distinct lack of consistency once again?
I have concerns that Flegs will do something stupid tonight and start the whole conversation back up again.

NSWRL have been saying they didn't go hard enough so the next bad one will get scrutinised to the max... especially if it's a bronco with a poor judiciary record.

Players will also take even more dives whenever they feel their ankle underneath the defenders body

JWH and NAS will also be under the microscope tonight.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Now that they know how severe the punishment can be any hip drop has to be minimum four weeks.

JWH and NAS will also be under the microscope this round.

Not so much JWH, but I haven't seen anyone agree with what happened with NAS. I half expect him to fart in the general direction of the ref and be sent....and I'm ok with that tbh

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.