NEWS Karmichael Hunt to be added to Broncos squad

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Hunt was a no-show at Broncos training today, apparently still awaiting ticks of approval.

Justin Hodges is a fan:

“The thing that stands out most in my memory of playing with him is how cool he was under pressure. It’s a big thing. He just doesn’t get rattled. That can help you in all sorts of ways. It might mean coming off the bench when everyone else is getting tired and making sure you get through a set of six and kick to a corner. Or making sure the kick-chase is right."

“He has a good running game and can defend well. I suppose one thing that has to be said is that the game has changed a lot since when he last played in the NRL in 2009. It is a lot quicker now, but even though he is 34 he has been playing AFL and rugby union, I don’t feel he has been physically knocked around much. He could play anywhere really."

“You could easily put him in the halves because he has played there with Darren Lockyer. Or he could come off the bench or even play at number nine or in the centres. But he could become a valuable leader at a time when the team need ones. I like the idea of getting him in there for a while and seeing how he is going and whether and where he could fit in.’’

McHunt

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Hunt was a no-show at Broncos training today, apparently still awaiting ticks of approval.

Justin Hodges is a fan:

“The thing that stands out most in my memory of playing with him is how cool he was under pressure. It’s a big thing. He just doesn’t get rattled. That can help you in all sorts of ways. It might mean coming off the bench when everyone else is getting tired and making sure you get through a set of six and kick to a corner. Or making sure the kick-chase is right."

“He has a good running game and can defend well. I suppose one thing that has to be said is that the game has changed a lot since when he last played in the NRL in 2009. It is a lot quicker now, but even though he is 34 he has been playing AFL and rugby union, I don’t feel he has been physically knocked around much. He could play anywhere really."

“You could easily put him in the halves because he has played there with Darren Lockyer. Or he could come off the bench or even play at number nine or in the centres. But he could become a valuable leader at a time when the team need ones. I like the idea of getting him in there for a while and seeing how he is going and whether and where he could fit in.’’

McHunt

Not a bad idea by Hodges - use Hunt as a cool-headed bench utility/hooker. It give Turpin a much-needed rest, and brings in an extra kicking option with a buttload of playmaking ability if required.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
KHunt was always versatile so if he's fit enough he'd be a fantastic benchie-of-all trades. I don't think Turps is ideal as a playmaker but he can jump out if marker well and can be nippy earlier on in a match. KHunt might do well 15 out from the end of halves. As long as he still gets in front and defends well he can really be creative.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Not a bad idea by Hodges - use Hunt as a cool-headed bench utility/hooker. It give Turpin a much-needed rest, and brings in an extra kicking option with a buttload of playmaking ability if required.

What is all Hunt being a playmaker? He mastered one set play that every fullback since now has as a prerequisite (in theory). He’s 10 years out of the game, on the wrong side of 30, missed half his tackles and can’t even get a spot in the halves in his q cup team.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
What is all Hunt being a playmaker? He mastered one set play that every fullback since now has as a prerequisite (in theory). He’s 10 years out of the game, on the wrong side of 30, missed half his tackles and can’t even get a spot in the halves in his q cup team.
Fans are desperate....desperate to believe in someone....something....anything.

nathano11

nathano11

NYC Player
Jun 14, 2010
Gang rape? Wasn't it consensual oral sex in a nightclub toilet?
Apparently she said “I want a Boy in my **** on Friday” but the players thought she said “I want a Boyd then a Hunt then a Thaiday”

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

He was potentially being groomed to take over from Lockyer at #6 and filled in there a few times when Lockyer was out.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
He was potentially being groomed to take over from Lockyer at #6 and filled in there a few times when Lockyer was out.
Did they make him pack on 15kg so he could "defend in the front line" out of interest?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think KHunt had the potential to be a half if he had stayed in the NRL.
He didn't look comfortable when he was put there in 2007... but he was only 20 years old, he was the same age as Dearden is now, who also still hasn't settled into the position at first grade level.
After he got moved back, I thought his ball playing kept improving, reaching its peak in 2009 just before he left. This was back when the league was still trying to perfect the sweep play, he wasn't just there to only throw finishing passes, he knew how to draw in defenders and he had the vision to put in a kick etc. I think his ball playing could have kept developing and he could have moved into the halves eventually.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I think KHunt had the potential to be a half if he had stayed in the NRL.
He didn't look comfortable when he was put there in 2007... but he was only 20 years old, he was the same age as Dearden is now, who also still hasn't settled into the position at first grade level.
After he got moved back, I thought his ball playing kept improving, reaching its peak in 2009 just before he left. This was back when the league was still trying to perfect the sweep play, he wasn't just there to only throw finishing passes, he knew how to draw in defenders and he had the vision to put in a kick etc. I think his ball playing could have kept developing and he could have moved into the halves eventually.
That's how I remember it.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Starting to think all the talk around KH is preparing us for losing Dearden and Staggs.
KH and Croft in the halves.
God help us.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
He was already a pretty solid bloke
It was a bitterly ironic comment...

Lockyer wasn’t a big bloke and no-one thought hmmm, what he needs is 15kg of more muscle and weight, and less acceleration, speed and agility, unlike the thoughts of some in recent years...

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Fozz
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.