OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Extends to End of 2023

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
So only a wooden spoon would see him sacked? Anything more like a Bottom 4 finish would be unfair?

I'm fine with the choice the Broncos had to make in the position I just disagree with the notion that 2021 and 2022 should be treated as mulligans and nothing can come under a critical lens.

It doesn't speak to Walters' ability as a draw that Brisbane either had to make the best offer to keep these players or effectively let them walk out the door. Not even the captaincy could retain a club stalwart like Andrew McCullough.
That is BS Pete, and a position not worthy of you. You are showing a decided bias in this thread.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Billy Walters has played at 3 clubs, 2 of which his father worked for, the other being the tigers. Kev, former Melbourne assistant coach, handed Billy his Storm debut jersey

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
What about the bolded part is BS?
1. The writing was already on the wall with Macca when the club let him walk out and go and join Newcastle, that was prior to Walters even taking up the coaching position. The club was off him.

2. The club was up front with him that it was unlikely he would be offered a further contract and definitely not a multi-year contract like he was offered by St George. He left for the security of a multi-year deal which must have felt like a gold lotto win for him given his age, his recent injuries and the direction his form was heading.

For you to imply that (a) we wanted to keep him; and (b) that we were prepared to offer overs to do so; and (c) that despite this he still walked is completely disingenuous and frankly poor form by you.

To then try and use that to bolster your argument re Walters as a coach that this was all or even a part of him leaving and it is a knock on Walters as a coach is pure BS. It was really disappointing that quality poster would resort to this.

There are a lot of things you can knock his coaching on, try sticking to them and not inventing or embellishing things.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Billy Walters has played at 3 clubs, 2 of which his father worked for, the other being the tigers. Kev, former Melbourne assistant coach, handed Billy his Storm debut jersey

Billy worked damn hard at Easts to get that Storm start- Colts with Easts in 2013, then BRL finally ISC in 2015 and then four years of ISC before he got an NRL start. He played Queensland Residents and was one of the best halves in the ISC- no way anyone could argue that he didn't deserve that Storm spot.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Billy worked damn hard at Easts to get that Storm start- Colts with Easts in 2013, then BRL finally ISC in 2015 and then four years of ISC before he got an NRL start. He played Queensland Residents and was one of the best halves in the ISC- no way anyone could argue that he didn't deserve that Storm spot.
Could argue that if it was deserved it probably wouldn’t have taken 5 years and only result in 2 first grade games.

I won’t argue that but you could.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Could argue that if it was deserved it probably wouldn’t have taken 5 years and only result in 2 first grade games.

I won’t argue that but you could.

The Storm didn't have anyone in their halves in that time that might have kept you in ISC. Easy team to break through.

What sort of non fan- negative as hell person doesn't celebrate someone playing five years of lower grades to get their debut.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The Storm didn't have anyone in their halves in that time that might have kept you in ISC. Easy team to break through.

What sort of non fan- negative as hell person doesn't celebrate someone playing five years of lower grades to get their debut.
It’s a great achievement in perseverance.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
1. The writing was already on the wall with Macca when the club let him walk out and go and join Newcastle, that was prior to Walters even taking up the coaching position. The club was off him.
Seibold was off him. Walters was a fan of his and the big aim of Walters' initial pre-season was to mend fences which included McCullough. McCullough was set to be the starting dummy half and Glenn had lost the captaincy until McCullough was poached by the Dragons.

2. The club was up front with him that it was unlikely he would be offered a further contract and definitely not a multi-year contract like he was offered by St George. He left for the security of a multi-year deal which must have felt like a gold lotto win for him given his age, his recent injuries and the direction his form was heading.
St George did offer him more years and Brisbane weren't willing to match it right away. He was still valued by the club and was set to be the captain before he jumped at the chance. Still, if he knew he was most likely going to be the leader and really loved what Kev brought to the club wouldn't he be inclined to stay?

At the very least it would have given Walters the chance to say he was a draw.
For you to imply that (a) we wanted to keep him; and (b) that we were prepared to offer overs to do so
I never said anything about offering overs. They were set to make him captain, he was held in much higher regard by Kevie than he was by Seibs (and the majority of the fanbase).
To then try and use that to bolster your argument re Walters as a coach that this was all or even a part of him leaving and it is a knock on Walters as a coach is pure BS. It was really disappointing that quality poster would resort to this.

There are a lot of things you can knock his coaching on, try sticking to them and not inventing or embellishing things.
I'm knocking the argument that he's good for retaining or attracting players. We simply don't know that at this stage and if anything there's more cases against him.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Seibold was off him. Walters was a fan of his and the big aim of Walters' initial pre-season was to mend fences which included McCullough. McCullough was set to be the starting dummy half and Glenn had lost the captaincy until McCullough was poached by the Dragons.

St George did offer him more years and Brisbane weren't willing to match it right away. He was still valued by the club and was set to be the captain before he jumped at the chance. Still, if he knew he was most likely going to be the leader and really loved what Kev brought to the club wouldn't he be inclined to stay?

At the very least it would have given Walters the chance to say he was a draw.

I never said anything about offering overs. They were set to make him captain, he was held in much higher regard by Kevie than he was by Seibs (and the majority of the fanbase).

I'm knocking the argument that he's good for retaining or attracting players. We simply don't know that at this stage and if anything there's more cases against him.
McCullough was appointed captain not as any enticement for him to say (which you implied), but because he was literally the only experienced option available given that it was patently obvious that Glenn was not up to the task.

You attempt to imply, completely without evidence that the Broncos may have offered him a multi-year contract when that was never going to occur.

So under KW's regime, they have kept Staggs, Carrigan Farnworth, Hetherington. Piakura, Riki, Robati, Cobbo, Gamble, Niu, Palasia, Arthars, Mam and Willison.

The only one that they have apparently lost that they wanted to keep was Coates. All the others that have left, the club have either pushed or encouraged them to move on.

From outside they have brought in:
Reynolds, Capewell, James, Lee, Pereira.

Aren't the latter three the sort of solid first graders that you were banging on about at the start of 2021 that the club should be signing??

You will have to excuse me if I have a question mark over the validty of your contention that `if anything there's more cases against him' as being contrary to the evidence and more based on bias.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
McCullough was appointed captain not as any enticement for him to say (which you implied), but because he was literally the only experienced option available given that it was patently obvious that Glenn was not up to the task.

You attempt to imply, completely without evidence that the Broncos may have offered him a multi-year contract when that was never going to occur.
I'm afraid your jumping to conclusions because I never implied anything about a multi-year deal. All I said is that he was valued enough by the club that he was set to captain the side heading into 2021, the club clearly wanted to keep him but he chose to leave.

The other reason why I highlighted McCullough is that it was a good example of the Broncos losing that stability. If McCullough stuck around I could see that point, but he left and the club has gone in a new direction which is far from settled at this stage.

So under KW's regime, they have kept Staggs, Carrigan Farnworth, Hetherington. Piakura, Riki, Robati, Cobbo, Gamble, Niu, Palasia, Arthars, Mam and Willison.
Farnworth didn't commit to Walters, he committed to Seibs and is rumoured to be leaving. Both Staggs and Piakura had to be offered lucrative contracts to stay which is why Staggs' is being floated as a potential five-eighth to justify his price.

You're bound to keep a few players, especially when they're development/depth players. The most concerning thing at the moment was the chatter surrounding Payne Haas, far and away the Broncos best player. I'm certainly not holding that against Kevie but again if Payne was willing to commit, especially after the Broncos bumped up his pay I could see that point but that's not how it's panned out.
The only one that they have apparently lost that they wanted to keep was Coates. All the others that have left, the club have either pushed or encouraged them to move on.

Coates was the biggest blow but they also wanted to retain Walsh they just weren't willing to go 'all-in' like the Warriors were. The Dearden situation was bizarre as well with Dearden publically meeting with the Cowboys well before the season started and his management piling pressure onto Walters which Kev ultimately bowed to. That's why there was that weird situation where Dearden was rushed into the team for his audition which he ultimately failed at and why the club went in a different direction.

Reynolds, Capewell, James, Lee, Pereira.
Reynolds and Capewell are the two arguments that could be made but come with caveats.

Souths turned down Reynolds and it effectively became a two horse race between Brisbane and Cronulla. Brisbane got Reynolds, Cronulla got Hynes - Reynolds like the attraction of a one team town, Hynes liked being close to his family and the surf.

With Capewell it was just a matter of Brisbane making him the best offer.

The latter three weren't in-demand so of course they'd jump at the opportunity to extend their NRL careers.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I'm afraid your jumping to conclusions because I never implied anything about a multi-year deal. All I said is that he was valued enough by the club that he was set to captain the side heading into 2021, the club clearly wanted to keep him but he chose to leave.

The other reason why I highlighted McCullough is that it was a good example of the Broncos losing that stability. If McCullough stuck around I could see that point, but he left and the club has gone in a new direction which is far from settled at this stage.

Farnworth didn't commit to Walters, he committed to Seibs and is rumoured to be leaving. Both Staggs and Piakura had to be offered lucrative contracts to stay which is why Staggs' is being floated as a potential five-eighth to justify his price.

You're bound to keep a few players, especially when they're development/depth players. The most concerning thing at the moment was the chatter surrounding Payne Haas, far and away the Broncos best player. I'm certainly not holding that against Kevie but again if Payne was willing to commit, especially after the Broncos bumped up his pay I could see that point but that's not how it's panned out.

Coates was the biggest blow but they also wanted to retain Walsh they just weren't willing to go 'all-in' like the Warriors were. The Dearden situation was bizarre as well with Dearden publically meeting with the Cowboys well before the season started and his management piling pressure onto Walters which Kev ultimately bowed to. That's why there was that weird situation where Dearden was rushed into the team for his audition which he ultimately failed at and why the club went in a different direction.

Reynolds and Capewell are the two arguments that could be made but come with caveats.

Souths turned down Reynolds and it effectively became a two horse race between Brisbane and Cronulla. Brisbane got Reynolds, Cronulla got Hynes - Reynolds like the attraction of a one team town, Hynes liked being close to his family and the surf.

With Capewell it was just a matter of Brisbane making him the best offer.

The latter three weren't in-demand so of course they'd jump at the opportunity to extend their NRL careers.
Brisbane got Reynolds because Cronulla sent a random nobody to Reynolds house to offer the contract and he was insulted. Brisbane sent their coach and new CEO down to make the deal. Reynolds actually took less money from Cronulla to sign with us. Hynes was signed like 2 months after Reynolds had committed to the Broncos. The sharks who were desperate to make a signing, blew everyone out of the water with Hynes

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Brisbane got Reynolds because Cronulla sent a random nobody to Reynolds house to offer the contract and he was insulted. Brisbane sent their coach and new CEO down to make the deal. Reynolds actually took less money from Cronulla to sign with us. Hynes was signed like 2 months after Reynolds had committed to the Broncos. The sharks who were desperate to make a signing, blew everyone out of the water with Hynes
Less money under the cap, but the advantage of playing for a one team town comes with better TPA opportunities.

But yeah I do recall it being a case of Cronulla bungling the talks when they all but thought they had him signed.

That's also why I brought up Hynes because I think both signings are related. Will be very interesting to see who ended up getting the better out of their respective deals.

Active Now

• BooKhaki
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jarro65
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Skyblues87
  • Brocko
  • Allo
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Totally Unr3al
  • rj9
  • sooticus
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.