OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Extends to End of 2023

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
This makes zero sense?

Our cap is barely a mess., Bird, Boyd and Lodge are off the books. Our higest paid players are Hass and Reynold (not Bird, Boyd, Lodge).

We only need to win 4 more games than we did last year to make the 8.

We have money to spend next year.

Makes sense to me.

2012-2013 Roosters say Hello btw

Sure we have money to spend, doesn’t mean we’re going to be able to buy the players we need to turn us into contenders.

We need a high quality hooker, those are hard to find and even harder to develop

We’re not the Broncos of the mid 90’s, we’re the Broncos coming off the back of a wooden spoon the season before last and looking like we’d get the spoon last season if not for a late surge

Just look at this week for example, Reynolds is out and our spine would be in the running for one of the worst in the league

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
lol you can most certainly have the entire season, but did you not say 6 weeks so I actually i was more generous. from the start I've said he deserves the season and I don't think i mentioned that if he wins 1 more game then that's good enough. that's just ignorance
No I said worst case scenario he could lose his job in six weeks. Usually if a team is getting flogged by 50 every other week coaches tend to get sacked. The one year extension has eased that off somewhat but the point still remains and this season really is vital for Kev.

How is that ignorance? I'm trying to hold you to some kind of criteria instead of you beating around the bush and being vague. 8 wins is an objective improvement, otherwise it could come down to subjective mumbo jumbo like hunger

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
No I said worst case scenario he could lose his job in six weeks. Usually if a team is getting flogged by 50 every other week coaches tend to get sacked. The one year extension has eased that off somewhat but the point still remains and this season really is vital for Kev.

How is that ignorance? I'm trying to hold you to some kind of criteria instead of you beating around the bush and being vague. 8 wins is an objective improvement, otherwise it could come down to subjective mumbo jumbo like hunger
sorry but maybe my beating around the bush and vagueness could be put down to the fact that , i believe there's variables. It's not just 8 wins your good, the pros and cons should be considered of how you got those 8 wins.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Quite a few of us have unrealistic expectations from Kevvie because to be quite honest about it, we've never been in this situation before where we'd be happy to just make the 8 but any fan of any other club that has wasted away at the bottom of the ladder would know, there's no quick fix to turn it all around

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Quite a few of us have unrealistic expectations from Kevvie because to be quite honest about it, we've never been in this situation before where we'd be happy to just make the 8 but any fan of any other club that has wasted away at the bottom of the ladder would know, there's no quick fix to turn it all around
Not sure if being happy to just make the 8 should count as an unrealistic expectation

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Not sure if being happy to just make the 8 should count as an unrealistic expectation

That's what I would be happy with but I read other people's comments and they're talking about contenders and all that, it's not happening in his current contract time frame as coach and if that's the barometer for whether or not he will be a good coach for us, may as well sack him now because it's not going to happen within a couple of years

I don't think there's a coach alive that could get us from being a genuine bottom 4 team to a genuine top 4 team within 2 years, with where we're at with our cap. The fact they were able to sign a player of Reynolds' quality is nothing short of a miracle

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
That's what I would be happy with but I read other people's comments and they're talking about contenders and all that, it's not happening in his current contract time frame as coach

I don't think there's a coach alive that could get us from being a genuine bottom 4 team to a genuine top 4 team within 2 years, with where we're at with our cap. The fact they were able to sign a player of Reynolds' quality is nothing short of a miracle
I think there are some coaches that can do it but I definitely agree that if you expect that from Kev you probably aren’t being realistic.

if we finish above 10th I will be pleasantly shocked.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I think there are some coaches that can do it but I definitely agree that if you expect that from Kev you probably aren’t being realistic.

if we finish above 10th I will be pleasantly shocked.

I mean, with this current roster, which coach is getting us into the top 4? That's basically what the core issue is here and it's a big part of why we can't accurately judge whether or not he's going to be the right guy

We're at a disadvantage before a ball is even kicked as we have blokes at other clubs that we are still paying and you have to remember, we wanted these players out of our system so it's hard to imagine we're not paying a good chunk

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
One thing I will say is this week being a write off, if they did somehow get up, it would set the team up for a massive year with so many players out.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
OK then, so what are the variables?
implementing defensive structures , game management (bench usage) , i guess all areas that Kevvie was lacking because that's what we're talking about isn't it . If Kevvie is fixing his faults then he's learning and that's what should be looked at to decide hus fate.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
implementing defensive structures , game management (bench usage) , i guess all areas that Kevvie was lacking because that's what we're talking about isn't it . If Kevvie is fixing his faults then he's learning and that's what should be looked at to decide hus fate.
There are some variables that will help Kev keep his job in 2023 and beyond but it's not going to come down to subjective qualities like game management. No one is going to remember in six months time that Kev took too long to bring Keenan Palasia off the field. The only way fans are going to notice any improvements is if they get results.

As it stands, unless the Broncos qualify for the finals, Kev will be behind the 8-ball heading into 2023. If the Broncos have an especially rough season and have a repeat of 2021 chances are he's moved on sooner than later.

That's why I don't think he can afford too many setbacks because he's up against it as is.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Think a pass should be finishing somewhere around 10-6 but more importantly competing hard in games we lose and not getting blown away.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
There are some variables that will help Kev keep his job in 2023 and beyond but it's not going to come down to subjective qualities like game management. No one is going to remember in six months time that Kev took too long to bring Keenan Palasia off the field. The only way fans are going to notice any improvements is if they get results.

As it stands, unless the Broncos qualify for the finals, Kev will be behind the 8-ball heading into 2023. If the Broncos have an especially rough season and have a repeat of 2021 chances are he's moved on sooner than later.

That's why I don't think he can afford too many setbacks because he's up against it as is.
maybe, but if it was up to the fans Kevvie would probably all ready be gone.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Who has said that?
No one is going to remember in six months time that Kev took too long to bring Keenan Palasia off the field. The only way fans are going to notice any improvements is if they get results
not pointing fingers at anyone other than the general consensus on Facebook and other forums, that Kevvie hasn't done his job.
not talking about you so deep breaths.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
He certainly has everything to prove, I'll grant you that. But the club shares much of that blame. That we had to go out and import another club's culture in Reynolds and Capewell, and our season appears to rest on them, tells you how far up shit creek we were.

The accusations of nepotism are valid, and will pop out from under the rug the second Billy becomes the whipping boy for our losses. His brothers, only one of whom is a former Bronco, have managed to escape scrutiny to date.

As for poor assistants, you're right, that's 100% on him. Except for one untouchable in Alfie Langer. I think I'm the only one on this board who's ever whispered his track record of assistant coaching failure. We can't look directly into that sun.
What role does Jerrod supposedly have?

Unread

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Wolfie
  • Stix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.