OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Extends to End of 2023

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Don't think so maybe 1910 can confirm, he could also tell you there was a definite positive effect in Paix's development.
This attitude that these players should be the finished product at the flick of a switch is just ridiculous, it's why the Broncos have struggled because they haven't been afforded the luxury of development. i suspect the titans may feel the same affect this season, young players just don't get the chance to develope these days. Mind you many think they're ready before time, which in turn pushes the hand of clubs to keep them happy.
Are you saying other clubs have some "luxury of development" we don't have, and you can blame someone other than the club's coaching staff for it?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
He certainly has everything to prove, I'll grant you that. But the club shares much of that blame. That we had to go out and import another club's culture in Reynolds and Capewell, and our season appears to rest on them, tells you how far up shit creek we were.

The accusations of nepotism are valid, and will pop out from under the rug the second Billy becomes the whipping boy for our losses. His brothers, only one of whom is a former Bronco, have managed to escape scrutiny to date.

As for poor assistants, you're right, that's 100% on him. Except for one untouchable in Alfie Langer. I think I'm the only one on this board who's ever whispered his track record of assistant coaching failure. We can't look directly into that sun.

Only Steve works for the Broncos not brothers. Steve is the only brother that didn't play for the Broncos- obviously Kerrod and Kevvie but Andrew and Brett played lower grades.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
We should at east be fighting for the 8 this year.
Top 8 for me this year is

Top 6 basically guaranteed, but order can vary
- Storm
- Roosters
- Panthers
- Eels
- Manly
- Rabbits

Most likely from the rest
- Sharks (have improved and were on the brink last year)

For us to make the 8 there is probably 1-2 spots left... so are we better than:
- Knights (they look due to slide, but Clifford looked better as a 7 in the trials and they still have Ponga)
- Raiders (maybe now that Fogarty is out... I think they could slide further this year)
- Dragons (probably not... Sloan gives them strike and Bhunt was quite good last year)
- Titans (probably not... forward pack is already good and their spine has Sexton, Brimson and Campbell... untried but at least it's set in stone and has potential)
- Warriors (maybe... but they have SJ, Walsh, AFB, Lodge, etc... so they're no slouch)

Dogs have also improved, but whether they can get over the inneptness of Barrett is a question mark.

With the question marks we have in the spine it's still going to be a massive task for us to start competing for a place in the top 8

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
He he. We could go around in circles here but yes I'll be offering my view and hope its positive for a change. I'm sure you'll be looking forward to that. He he he.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Top 8 for me this year is

Top 6 basically guaranteed, but order can vary
- Storm
- Roosters
- Panthers
- Eels
- Manly
- Rabbits

Most likely from the rest
- Sharks (have improved and were the brink last year)

For us to make the 8 there is probably 1-2 spots left... so are we better than:
- Knights (they look due to slide, but Clifford looked better as a 7 in the trials and they still have Ponga)
- Raiders (maybe now that Fogarty is out... I think they could slide further this year)
- Dragons (probably not... Sloan gives them strike and Bhunt was quite good last year)
- Titans (probably not... forward pack is already good and their spine has Sexton, Brimson and Campbell... untried but at least it's set in stone and has potential)
- Warriors (maybe... but they have SJ, Walsh, AFB, Lodge, etc... so they're no slouch)

Dogs have also improved, but whether they can get over the inneptness of Barrett is a question mark.

With the question marks we have in the spine it's still going to be a massive task for us to start competing for a place in the top 8
Agree, i see us as similar to Dragons or Raiders last year and can see a ~10th type finish which is still an upward trajectory from the previous 2 seasons. Nuisance value and the occasional good win but inconsistent.

A team that doesn't know who their best 1, 6 or 9 is does not scream top 8.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Are you saying other clubs have some "luxury of development" we don't have, and you can blame someone other than the club's coaching staff for it?
yes it's called experience, teams that have experienced star players that help with younger players development, the Broncos chose to try and bring all their star junior's through at the same time.
Seibold (who also was basically a rookie himself)had the impossible job of trying to put the right people amongst these kids , unfortunately he chose a struggling Boyd , a broken Milford, dipshit in TPJ, control freak in lodge and a fragile Croft.
He so let macca and to a certain extent McGuire move on , leaving us with just raw talent to push through. Hence the older experienced players Walters has put in and around our younger players.
so really alot of the problems would have to be from the football department, namely one Peter Nolan .

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Agree, i see us as similar to Dragons or Raiders last year and can see a ~10th type finish which is still an upward trajectory from the previous 2 seasons. Nuisance value and the occasional good win but inconsistent.

A team that doesn't know who their best 1, 6 or 9 is does not scream top 8.
i think that the Broncos see -
1. Niu
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Paix (eventually Mozer)
as their spine moving forward, Walsh threw a spanner in the works but I'd be happy to put money on that is pretty much set in stone.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
yes it's called experience, teams that have experienced star players that help with younger players development, the Broncos chose to try and bring all their star junior's through at the same time.
Seibold (who also was basically a rookie himself)had the impossible job of trying to put the right people amongst these kids , unfortunately he chose a struggling Boyd , a broken Milford, dipshit in TPJ, control freak in lodge and a fragile Croft.
He so let macca and to a certain extent McGuire move on , leaving us with just raw talent to push through. Hence the older experienced players Walters has put in and around our younger players.
so really alot of the problems would have to be from the football department, namely one Peter Nolan .
Talking about broken players, I'm genuinely hoping we haven't bought another Jack Bird in Adam Reynolds.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Talking about broken players, I'm genuinely hoping we haven't bought another Jack Bird in Adam Reynolds.
yeah definitely a worry but alot of players have hamstring issues, at least we didn't buy him for his athletic ability . He just needs to lead us around the feild and be our General.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

That's simply untrue. Nolan gave the coach whatever he asked for- that was his role. He wasn't in a position to be telling coaches no you can't have that.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
That's simply untrue. Nolan gave the coach whatever he asked for- that was his role. He wasn't in a position to be telling coaches no you can't have that.
well smokin Joe said Nolan had to much power so I'm going with Joe.
I'm certainly not defecting the blame from seibold either, but Nolan hasn’t got a great record.
there's a reason he got punted.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
i think that the Broncos see -
1. Niu
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Paix (eventually Mozer)
as their spine moving forward, Walsh threw a spanner in the works but I'd be happy to put money on that is pretty much set in stone.
Reynolds and Paix are the stepping stones I was talking about. Niu is walking the tightrope and Mam is unproven. None of the positions in our premiership team are in biro yet.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Reynolds and Paix are the stepping stones I was talking about. Niu is walking the tightrope and Mam is unproven. None of the positions in our premiership team are in biro yet.
no correct but it’s simply to hard to buy a premiership spine , so i guess the is some of these guys flourish quickly whilst also keeping an eye on the market. But unfortunately there isn't a quick fix.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
well smokin Joe said Nolan had to much power so I'm going with Joe.
I'm certainly not defecting the blame from seibold either, but Nolan hasn’t got a great record.
there's a reason he got punted.

Broncos coaches have always got what they wanted. Been a shift now but before Kevvie RR made it work and the coach got his wishes- you're not going to pay a coach million dollars and bring him to the club and then say you can't have the team you want and we don't listen to your opinion. It makes no sense.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Broncos coaches have always got what they wanted. Been a shift now but before Kevvie RR made it work and the coach got his wishes- you're not going to pay a coach million dollars and bring him to the club and then say you can't have the team you want and we don't listen to your opinion. It makes no sense.
understand that but he absolutely butchered the cap , did he not?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
no correct but it’s simply to hard to buy a premiership spine , so i guess the is some of these guys flourish quickly whilst also keeping an eye on the market. But unfortunately there isn't a quick fix.

I reckon in Mam and Mozer (albeit too early for both) we have two key spine players there already. Hopefully one of Cobbo or Niu nails the FB position and then we have the building blocks there. We really should have gone in hard for Mahoney. Though that said, I am more than confident Paix is ready...well I was before he reportedly got Covid.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I reckon in Mam and Mozer (albeit too early for both) we have two key spine players there already. Hopefully one of Cobbo or Niu nails the FB position and then we have the building blocks there. We really should have gone in hard for Mahoney. Though that said, I am more than confident Paix is ready...well I was before he reportedly got Covid.
I'd have an eye on how walsh goes this year too , I'd take him back if he continues to flourish. Mam and him could cause major damage together.
yeah I really hope paix takes his chance when he gets it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Seibold’s last season type stench.

I get the feeling you're not much of a fan , so who would have you preferred?
So only a wooden spoon would see him sacked? Anything more like a Bottom 4 finish would be unfair?

I'm fine with the choice the Broncos had to make in the position I just disagree with the notion that 2021 and 2022 should be treated as mulligans and nothing can come under a critical lens.
In fairness to Kevvie though, Walsh was very early on and I would say a result of the previous years’ failings of the entire administration of players always getting what they wanted. Walsh wanted to play first grade and Kevvie wanted him to wait, Walsh was on the first flight out to a club who would play him.

Coates is the only other one I can think of who they wanted to keep but left. I’m likely forgetting someone but of the others, who was actually considered a loss? TPJ and Lodge were kicked out after all.

Meanwhile Brisbane managed to retain Carrigan, Piakura, Staggs, Cobbo and some others. They also managed to recruit one of the best halves in the comp and a grand final winning origin player.

To put it in perspective, the undoubted best coach of the last 20 years also lost Smith, Bromwich x2, Addo-Carr, Kaufusi and an iron grip on Storm not media leaking.

I’m not sold on Kevvie as a coach yet either but I want him to succeed and I think he’s done well with what he has so far and I’m willing to give him time.
It doesn't speak to Walters' ability as a draw that Brisbane either had to make the best offer to keep these players or effectively let them walk out the door. Not even the captaincy could retain a club stalwart like Andrew McCullough.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Griffo
  • Ironbroncos
  • Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Waynesaurus
  • KickHaas
  • Morkel
  • Nerd
  • Brocko
  • Rambstien
... and 59 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.