OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Extends to End of 2023

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
What is Einstein's theory of insanity again? If the Broncos don't improve this year and struggle then it shouldn't be that difficult to improve.

From the sounds of it, a few of them aren't keen to stay regardless.
FYI, I’m pretty confident the expression you’re referring to has been widely misattributed to Einstein.

Muros

Muros

BRL Player
Jun 19, 2021
It's pretty simple.
There is no evidence Kev can coach. There is plenty of evidence to doubt whether he can.
The whole "Hurry up and resign me before the season" doesn't suggest Kev is anything but aware of his own weaknesses. It's not Kev's fault DD & BI blinked. The nepotism, however, is his fault. The poor assistants, is his fault. The results, from now, he has to own. Hiring an old guy who was let go for being injury prone, and then saying "Well don't judge me because who was to know he would be injured", won't cut it (but he'll try it).
Saying "Well, I'm better than the last bloke" has worn thin, in many ways (but he'll try it).
Can we just hurry up and bring this stupid situation to an end. I'd be surprised if we don't start well (surely they will be up for it), but by SOO time, we'll know.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
i think brad arthur is an example of a club sticking with their coach that in the last couple of years have been reaping the reward,there was one season 2018? that they won 6 games all season and collected the spoon.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I believe there is a difference between being keen to stay and keen to leave. As you've highlighted, the Broncos best player is rumoured to be off to the Roosters and there's a few others across all levels. Keep in mind too the amount of players who left last season and it's not like Kev is a big draw. This isn't like Wayne Bennett circa 2018.

No, because every scenario is different.

Define really stinking it up?
Seibold’s last season type stench.

I get the feeling you're not much of a fan , so who would have you preferred?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It's pretty simple.
There is no evidence Kev can coach. There is plenty of evidence to doubt whether he can.
The whole "Hurry up and resign me before the season" doesn't suggest Kev is anything but aware of his own weaknesses. It's not Kev's fault DD & BI blinked. The nepotism, however, is his fault. The poor assistants, is his fault. The results, from now, he has to own. Hiring an old guy who was let go for being injury prone, and then saying "Well don't judge me because who was to know he would be injured", won't cut it (but he'll try it).
Saying "Well, I'm better than the last bloke" has worn thin, in many ways (but he'll try it).
Can we just hurry up and bring this stupid situation to an end. I'd be surprised if we don't start well (surely they will be up for it), but by SOO time, we'll know.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I believe there is a difference between being keen to stay and keen to leave. As you've highlighted, the Broncos best player is rumoured to be off to the Roosters and there's a few others across all levels. Keep in mind too the amount of players who left last season and it's not like Kev is a big draw. This isn't like Wayne Bennett circa 2018.

No, because every scenario is different.

Define really stinking it up?

In fairness to Kevvie though, Walsh was very early on and I would say a result of the previous years’ failings of the entire administration of players always getting what they wanted. Walsh wanted to play first grade and Kevvie wanted him to wait, Walsh was on the first flight out to a club who would play him.

Coates is the only other one I can think of who they wanted to keep but left. I’m likely forgetting someone but of the others, who was actually considered a loss? TPJ and Lodge were kicked out after all.

Meanwhile Brisbane managed to retain Carrigan, Piakura, Staggs, Cobbo and some others. They also managed to recruit one of the best halves in the comp and a grand final winning origin player.

To put it in perspective, the undoubted best coach of the last 20 years also lost Smith, Bromwich x2, Addo-Carr, Kaufusi and an iron grip on Storm not media leaking.

I’m not sold on Kevvie as a coach yet either but I want him to succeed and I think he’s done well with what he has so far and I’m willing to give him time.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
In fairness to Kevvie though, Walsh was very early on and I would say a result of the previous years’ failings of the entire administration of players always getting what they wanted. Walsh wanted to play first grade and Kevvie wanted him to wait, Walsh was on the first flight out to a club who would play him.

Coates is the only other one I can think of who they wanted to keep but left. I’m likely forgetting someone but of the others, who was actually considered a loss? TPJ and Lodge were kicked out after all.

Meanwhile Brisbane managed to retain Carrigan, Piakura, Staggs, Cobbo and some others. They also managed to recruit one of the best halves in the comp and a grand final winning origin player.

To put it in perspective, the undoubted best coach of the last 20 years also lost Smith, Bromwich x2, Addo-Carr, Kaufusi and an iron grip on Storm not media leaking.

I’m not sold on Kevvie as a coach yet either but I want him to succeed and I think he’s done well with what he has so far and I’m willing to give him time.
even Coates was being wooed in December just after Kevvie got the keys to the place, and white was pretty much out the door.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Here is what is happening.

If Kevie can't turn us into a contender by the end of 2023, then he doesn't deserve the job.

So far we seem to be trending towards contenders. People wanting to give Kevie 6 weeks, need to chillllllllllllllll.
Interested to see your thoughts in six weeks.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Here is what is happening.

If Kevie can't turn us into a contender by the end of 2023, then he doesn't deserve the job.

So far we seem to be trending towards contenders. People wanting to give Kevie 6 weeks, need to chillllllllllllllll.

This makes zero sense

You are saying people giving him 6 weeks need to chill, I am saying no team is going from being a genuine wooden spoon contender to being a premiership contender within a couple of years

Our cap is still a mess, despite the fact we've done a bit of recruiting, we're still paying for players at other clubs this season. Just because next season we won't be that doesn't make us a contender suddenly, still have to recruit well

It's not a 2 year job, sadly, however, I would like to see us make the 8 in 2023, I think that'd be acceptable

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This makes zero sense

You are saying people giving him 6 weeks need to chill, I am saying no team is going from being a genuine wooden spoon contender to being a premiership contender within a couple of years

Our cap is still a mess, despite the fact we've done a bit of recruiting, we're still paying for players at other clubs this season. Just because next season we won't be that doesn't make us a contender suddenly, still have to recruit well

It's not a 2 year job, sadly, however, I would like to see us make the 8 in 2023, I think that'd be acceptable

We should at east be fighting for the 8 this year.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
We should at east be fighting for the 8 this year.

I'd love for that to happen but even I feel like that would be an above expectations result, we've been one of the worst teams in the NRL for a few years now

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It's pretty simple.
He certainly has everything to prove, I'll grant you that. But the club shares much of that blame. That we had to go out and import another club's culture in Reynolds and Capewell, and our season appears to rest on them, tells you how far up shit creek we were.

The accusations of nepotism are valid, and will pop out from under the rug the second Billy becomes the whipping boy for our losses. His brothers, only one of whom is a former Bronco, have managed to escape scrutiny to date.

As for poor assistants, you're right, that's 100% on him. Except for one untouchable in Alfie Langer. I think I'm the only one on this board who's ever whispered his track record of assistant coaching failure. We can't look directly into that sun.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I'd love for that to happen but even I feel like that would be an above expectations result, we've been one of the worst teams in the NRL for a few years now
we've also been hit decently with injuries of late, if we can stay fit and get some luck we should be fighting for the 8

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
He certainly has everything to prove, I'll grant you that. But the club shares much of that blame. That we had to go out and import another club's culture in Reynolds and Capewell, and our season appears to rest on them, tells you how far up shit creek we were.

The accusations of nepotism are valid, and will pop out from under the rug the second Billy becomes the whipping boy for our losses. His brothers, only one of whom is a former Bronco, have managed to escape scrutiny to date.

As for poor assistants, you're right, that's 100% on him. Except for one untouchable in Alfie Langer. I think I'm the only one on this board who's ever whispered his track record of assistant coaching failure. We can't look directly into that sun.
Brothers? only one im sure and he's had a hand in Paixs development.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Brothers? only one im sure and he's had a hand in Paixs development.
Wasn't Kerrod lurking around last year? And how many NRL games has Paix played since Boxhead's hand got involved?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Wasn't Kerrod lurking around last year? And how many NRL games has Paix played since Boxhead's hand got involved?
Don't think so maybe 1910 can confirm, he could also tell you there was a definite positive effect in Paix's development.
This attitude that these players should be the finished product at the flick of a switch is just ridiculous, it's why the Broncos have struggled because they haven't been afforded the luxury of development. i suspect the titans may feel the same affect this season, young players just don't get the chance to develope these days. Mind you many think they're ready before time, which in turn pushes the hand of clubs to keep them happy.

Active Now

• RodF
  • Strop
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Wolfie
  • lynx000
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Battler
  • Jazza
  • porouian
  • Organix
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • Culhwch
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.