OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Extends to End of 2023

For the record, I agree with your suggestion, you spend big on a CAREFULLY selected assistant who you groom for the job if Kevvie fails (and lets be honest, NONE of us want him to fail, we ALL want him to succeed). Whether that be Ciraldo / Slater / Hodges / whoever. I also think this is what Donuts was alluding to when he was talking about getting the right people in and around Kevvie.
exactly , and I guess all we need now is to find that assistant or preferably assistant's .

exactly , and I guess all we need now is to find that assistant or preferably assistant's .

Two assistants I would be looking at closely are Morris and Hannay - They would both be fine as interim coaches if the need arises and I wouldn't even mind having Morris as a potential head coach, I feel like he is extremely underrated.

Two assistants I would be looking at closely are Morris and Hannay - They would both be fine as interim coaches if the need arises and I wouldn't even mind having Morris as a potential head coach, I feel like he is extremely underrated.
I'd look for a defence assistant straight up , Ciraldo would be great but I very much doubt he'd come.
i honestly don't have a clue really, surely it's something we're looking at because Matterson and Cartwright just aren't it imo

I think Morris is underwhelming more than underrated.

My dad is a sharks fan so I watch their games quite a bit and have a vested interest in them.. actually to be honest I watch every game but that's because of supercoach more than anything.

The sharks ruck defence in recent times has been awful... they are on par with us in regards to avoiding wrestling and this was the case under Flannigan as well.

You will recall that sharks used to beat storm because they would bully them and bash them. Their mantra was to bring teams down to their level... so from that aspect Flannigan was able to get them up mentally to perform, but similar to us they would also lose to lesser teams and just put out some downright average performances.

For all intents and purposes Morris was a stop gap coach... Flannigan was still giving orders from the sidelines, so it seemed a given that Flannigan would be reinstated when his suspension ended and Morris would go back to running the water... until Flannigan was caught and his suspension was extended... at that point there was too much mud on Flannigan for him to be immediately thrown back into coaching the sharks.

The sharks then had to make a decision on who was going to be the next long term coach... would they turn the stop gap into a permanent or look for something else.

They pretty quickly decided to look for something else.... that is a poor reflection on Morris in my eyes.

The issues I would have with Morris mainly revolve around him not being his own man when coaching and appeared to have zero influence on anything in the football department.
- Flannigan was still giving orders from the peanut gallery,
- the team played the same style except now they had the bloke running the water trying to get them up,
- I cant really recall them being able to land any decent recruits under his tenure and the roster was aging, and
- the board were happy to quickly move on from him

To me he looks more like a guy that was given a decent team and then couldn't improve it... the circumstances were poor, but they were making finals and won the GF in 2016. There is no doubting that the sharks were somewhat on the decline when Morris was given the job full time, mainly due to an aging and injury prone roster, but that's also a negative reflection that he wasnt able to see it coming and fix it, instead they brought in Moylan, Dugan, Woods, etc.

So he either had no voice in that organisation or he wasn't able to sell his vision well enough... he wasnt backed by the sharks.

He needs to go somewhere that he will be backed and prove he can do it before I want to give him the keys to Brisbane and a war chest that opens up as of next year.

To be honest I dont think that Kevvie has been all that well backed by the Broncos either.

The absolute shit show that was his appointment (having to organise his own interviews), zero support from the back office and having to their job until Ikin and DD arrived and then the rhetoric/narrative from Ikin and DD has been somewhat underwhelming for me in regards to how they speak about Kevvie's position.. it's business / corporate speak and they talk more about the players and the amount of potential coming through and throw in that they're providing Kevvie with everything that he needs... except it's the same two assistants, cap space playing elsewhere, and no spending in 2023 to date.... but but but we must make finals this year or it will be a failure.

I get a slight feeling that he's being set up as a fall guy and then they can pick up Greeny and give him this whopping big war chest to start spending and actually shaping the roster.

At the moment Kevvie is living off scraps when it comes to shaping 'his' roster, excluding the landing of Reynolds and Capewell, which were massive coups and good spending.

My dad is a sharks fan so I watch their games quite a bit and have a vested interest in them.. actually to be honest I watch every game but that's because of supercoach more than anything.

The sharks ruck defence in recent times has been awful... they are on par with us in regards to avoiding wrestling and this was the case under Flannigan as well.

You will recall that sharks used to beat storm because they would bully them and bash them. Their mantra was to bring teams down to their level... so from that aspect Flannigan was able to get them up mentally to perform, but similar to us they would also lose to lesser teams and just put out some downright average performances.

For all intents and purposes Morris was a stop gap coach... Flannigan was still giving orders from the sidelines, so it seemed a given that Flannigan would be reinstated when his suspension ended and Morris would go back to running the water... until Flannigan was caught and his suspension was extended... at that point there was too much mud on Flannigan for him to be immediately thrown back into coaching the sharks.

The sharks then had to make a decision on who was going to be the next long term coach... would they turn the stop gap into a permanent or look for something else.

They pretty quickly decided to look for something else.... that is a poor reflection on Morris in my eyes.

The issues I would have with Morris mainly revolve around him not being his own man when coaching and appeared to have zero influence on anything in the football department.
- the team played the same style except now they had the bloke running the water trying to get them up,
- I cant really recall them being able to land any decent recruits under his tenure and the roster was aging, and

To me he looks more like a guy that was given a decent team and then couldn't improve it... the circumstances were poor, but they were making finals and won the GF in 2016. There is no doubting that the sharks were somewhat on the decline when Morris was given the job full time, mainly due to an aging and injury prone roster, but that's also a negative reflection that he wasnt able to see it coming and fix it, instead they brought in Moylan, Dugan, Woods, etc.

So he either had no voice in that organisation or he wasn't able to sell his vision well enough... he wasnt backed by the sharks.

He needs to go somewhere that he will be backed and prove he can do it before I want to give him the keys to Brisbane and a war chest that opens up as of next year.

To be honest I dont think that Kevvie has been all that well backed by the Broncos either.

The absolute shit show that was his appointment (having to organise his own interviews), zero support from the back office and having to their job until Ikin and DD arrived and then the rhetoric/narrative from Ikin and DD has been somewhat underwhelming for me in regards to how they speak about Kevvie's position.. it's business / corporate speak and they talk more about the players and the amount of potential coming through and throw in that they're providing Kevvie with everything that he needs... except it's the same two assistants, cap space playing elsewhere, and no spending in 2023 to date.... but but but we must make finals this year or it will be a failure.

I get a slight feeling that he's being set up as a fall guy and then they can pick up Greeny and give him this whopping big war chest to start spending and actually shaping the roster.

At the moment Kevvie is living off scraps when it comes to shaping 'his' roster, excluding the landing of Reynolds and Capewell, which were massive coups and good spending.
if green gets the keys im out , Ikin and Lockyer's buddy.

This isn’t a slight on Kev at all but I’m genuinely curious what the average length until first premiership / grand final appearance is for coaches who reach that level.

It would be interesting data if you could extrapolate that coaches will either win (or appear in) a GF by x seasons in the NRL or never at all.

@Big Pete , what are your initial intuitions on this? Do you think there’s any interesting patterns to be found if I bothered doing the work?

From the top of my head Cleary is the biggest outlier in recent history taking over a decade of coaching NRL to win one. Took about 4 years to get the Warriors to a GF to from memory.

They like any player, also have to learn a bit about themselves, their players and what works to get the best out of the players, that's what I believe would be the core thing to be a successful NRL coach. The ability to understand your players and what makes them tick. You can only yell so loud.

We've seen some great footy minds with undoubted knowledge of the game try their hand at coaching and turn out to be failures, then they get in the media and it's really obvious straight away that they know the game extremely well, they just couldn't strike that ability to get the best out of their men. I think you need be someone with high levels of empathy, Kevvie strikes me as someone like that. I think he will succeed but he like everyone else in any field, will have to take a few lessons along the way and for us as a club, we need to support him while he does that.

Mate...its Cronulla.....hardly a well run club.

Morris went in and fixed a shitload of issues they had, introduced a lot of the young guys who today are going to be stalwarts of the 2022 roster.

I think this needs to be recognised...

Now, i dont give 2 shits either way, ive no vested interets here, but Broncos are "still" a damaged club.

But we WILL reflect our coach this year. And Kev is emotional and changes his mind all the time.

So thats what we will be too.

And if it doesnt work out, and Kev needs to go.....well its not like Morris wouldnt know what needs to be done...

But sure, perhaps the right call is to let Morris show it again before we move...

But just my thoughts...

I like the extension. Given on the reasonably low salary Kevvie is on I am happy to extend him by an extra year as part of what i think is a very club favoured contract structure. This provides him with more security and allows players like Cobbo knowing to a certain extent that he will be here next year rather than them not knowing who the coach they will be signing with will be. He could still get sacked but better signing on with a coach planned to be on the books than none at all.

I think the back end of last year showed the positive impact he has had on the group with incremental improvement in results and with the help of the CEO getting rid of bad deals like Lodge, TPJ, Croft, Dearden and Milford and attaining some good signings with Reynolds and Capewell.

I think a one year extension was fair and good business all round.

Yep good call.. Go the Broncs..

Just watched their highlights from the last game of last season v The Knights, that was kind of a good effort :)

@
Big Pete
Big Pete , what are your initial intuitions on this? Do you think there’s any interesting patterns to be found if I bothered doing the work?
It's really rare that any coach wins a premiership after coaching for 10 years. Cleary is the first that comes to mind with John Lang being the next in line. 5-6 years tends to be the common period among coaches.

yeah i understand what you're saying but i believe we have to give him a chance, if we wanted a coach with runs on the board why didn't we go for green.
Because the Broncos were after a care-taker coach to mind the team while the club underwent significant changes. Walters being a former club legend just so happened to fit the bill.

Slim pickings and Seibold had runs on the board also and in a similar position to what Robinson was given, and he completely choked and put us in a worse position.
Seibold had one promising innings in a career that was mired with disappointing innings if anyone bothered to do their homework. He also didn't walk into the exact same situation Robinson did, Roosters were ready for a new coach, Brisbane was a hornet's nest.

If we don't give Kevvie the chance than what ? We get another coach who requires to change their roster and style , to much chopping and changing isn't the way . Unless there is another Robinson type coach then i just don't see the point, even if we get a young Good coach i think they come in with Walters and slowly change hands.
He's been given a chance.

Not a lot of coaches would have survived what happened last season. This isn't a fresh start, he has to accept that 2021 is a part of his baggage so unless he and the team improves the writing will well and truly be on the wall.

I'd like to hear what you would do because there isn't to many other options.
Stick with stockbroking.

If the Broncos have another poor season, I'd have no other choice but to bring a new coach into the club. I wouldn't just stick with something that wasn't working because potentially the next thing wouldn't work either. Besides, Kev has hardly built anything here. The roster is largely made up of stop-gap players.

Brisbane was a hornet's nest.

Much of which was Seibold's own doing by squealing in the overly embarrassing way that he did and then came in with preconceived ideas about who he wanted gone. He had effectively signed his own death warrant from the day he capitulated so embarrassingly. Had he handled that whole situation better, he probably would have been ok and would have had much better will from players and fans alike.

The players were well offside before Seibold arrived. Sure, Seibs played a huge role in the way things played out, but it wasn't like he was entering the same environment Robinson was at Bondi.

So if Kevvie is a caretaker coach , who are they waiting for?
Seibold had one promising innings in a career that was mired with disappointing innings if anyone bothered to do their homework. He also didn't walk into the exact same situation Robinson did, Roosters were ready for a new coach, Brisbane was a hornet's nest.
was talking about when Seibold was given the rabbitohs job.

You honestly believe he's been given a chance with that shit show to deal with?
Payten , Barrett , Brown @Newcastle, Brennan who with brown scored back to back spoons and brown still got a contract after his second.

Besides, Kev has hardly built anything here. The roster is largely made up of stop-gap players.
salary cap issues have played a major role with that and we've got the best 7 we've had in years maybe even decades, and also a premiership winning backrower.
Yes the rest is mainly stop gap players but he didn't have much of a chance to do anything other than weed out players last year.
sorry but if Nathan fucking brown can keep getting gigs Kevvie can sure as shit get a couple of years.

The players were well offside before Seibold arrived. Sure, Seibs played a huge role in the way things played out, but it wasn't like he was entering the same environment Robinson was at Bondi.
i meant the rabbitohs not Broncos , my apologies for the confusion.

So if Kevvie is a caretaker coach , who are they waiting for?
You've got to remember when Kev was made coach it was before Donaghy could perform his duties. If everything had have worked out as planned, Seibs would still be here but it became untenable. So whoever is deemed the best candidate.

was talking about when Seibold was given the rabbitohs job.

You honestly believe he's been given a chance with that shit show to deal with?
Payten , Barrett , Brown @Newcastle, Brennan who with brown scored back to back spoons and brown still got a contract after his second.
If management wasn't more understanding he currently wouldn't be the coach. However it isn't like 2021 doesn't count at all, no coach ever gets a mulligan, especially not at the Broncos and he's under pressure to perform this season.

If another club wants to employ Walters by all means but I doubt he'll get another gig in the NRL if things don't pan out at Brisbane. Just because things didn't work out with Seibold doesn't mean they can't work out with another coach, that's absurd logic.

salary cap issues have played a major role with that and we've got the best 7 we've had in years maybe even decades, and also a premiership winning backrower.
Yes the rest is mainly stop gap players but he didn't have much of a chance to do anything other than weed out players last year.
sorry but if Nathan fucking brown can keep getting gigs Kevvie can sure as shit get a couple of years.
I understand how it's come to this but my point is that getting a new coach isn't going to upset the apple cart like it did in 2018.

Just because things didn't work out with Seibold doesn't mean they can't work out with another coach, that's absurd logic.
I'm not saying that at all , I'm saying having had 4 coaches in 5-6 years isn't going to work out. And since there isn't anyone screaming to be better than what we have atm , why get rid of him just to move Sideways instead of forward.
I understand how it's come to this but my point is that getting a new coach isn't going to upset the apple cart like it did in 2018.
Not to the extremes no, but I'm sure existing players and future singings won't be all to excited about joining or staying in a club that can't figure out their coaching staff.

I'm not saying that at all , I'm saying having had 4 coaches in 5-6 years isn't going to work out. And since there isn't anyone screaming to be better than what we have atm , why get rid of him just to move Sideways instead of forward.
What is Einstein's theory of insanity again? If the Broncos don't improve this year and struggle then it shouldn't be that difficult to improve.
Not to the extremes no, but I'm sure existing players and future singings won't be all to excited about joining or staying in a club that can't figure out their coaching staff.
From the sounds of it, a few of them aren't keen to stay regardless.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • K-Style
  • Big Del
  • theshed
  • jd87
  • johnny plath
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Alec
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • heartly87
  • Shane Tronc
  • eggstar10
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Slippin Jimmy
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.