OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Extends to End of 2023

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Long time ago and trends change over the years but Wayne started in '88 with basically the best of the BRL and State side. Although belting the reining premiers and early talk about going through undefeated still took him four years to win a premiership. I wonder if the current fan base / supporters are willing to wait four years for Kevin to instill some spark. I too am not a Wayne fan boy - not anymore at least but he was in another league compared to most of todays new boy coaches. Ours included.
As long as we show improvement, no matter how minor and gradual I'm happy to stick with Kev long term. Move up 2-4 positions a year, that'll do.

The alternatives are not worth the risk

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Bennett came last in 81- you won't find too many coaches that don't have a dud year in there.

Bax maybe the only one..
I don’t know of his record prior to the Broncos, so I would be interested to know if that was with a squad brimming with rep players that had gone minor premiers the three years prior?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
As long as we show improvement, no matter how minor and gradual I'm happy to stick with Kev long term. Move up 2-4 positions a year, that'll do.

The alternatives are not worth the risk
yep exactly my train of thought, but definitely need to be progressing, and I think getting in quality assistants will be imperative for Kevvie.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I don’t know of his record prior to the Broncos, so I would be interested to know if that was with a squad brimming with rep players that had gone minor premiers the three years prior?
He coached Brothers in 1980 to fourth position and they were knocked out in the first semi-final by Norths, the eventual premiers.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Plenty of state reps, Bennett took Souths to the Grand FInal in 1979- so he wasn't leaving there to go to Brothers because he thought Brothers were rubbish and going no where.

He ended up unemployable after his three years there.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I actually think Robinson's recovery from 2016 is what separated him from a lot of coaches. We've seen it in the past where a coach has a strong start to their careers and can't sustain it. However Robinson was able to recover after losing Tuivasa-Sheck and Maloney and managed to take the Roosters to new heights.

We'll have to see from Kevie, but it's going to take a monumental effort to have the type of turn-around Robinson did that year. I can't see it happening, at least in the timespan Robinson was able to achieve.

One of the most impressive moments of his career was in 2018 when the Roosters got off to a slow start. They just weren't gelling well together, so Robinson drafts in Victor Radley to help distribute the ball better and it made the Roosters attack that more threatening.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I actually think Robinson's recovery from 2016 is what separated him from a lot of coaches. We've seen it in the past where a coach has a strong start to their careers and can't sustain it. However Robinson was able to recover after losing Tuivasa-Sheck and Maloney and managed to take the Roosters to new heights.

We'll have to see from Kevie, but it's going to take a monumental effort to have the type of turn-around Robinson did that year. I can't see it happening, at least in the timespan Robinson was able to achieve.

One of the most impressive moments of his career was in 2018 when the Roosters got off to a slow start. They just weren't gelling well together, so Robinson drafts in Victor Radley to help distribute the ball better and it made the Roosters attack that more threatening.
But that's the mate when you have a core squad and good system , losses like Maloney and sheck are just a little hurdle. Throw in politis's gifted persuasive recruiting and an aging Maloney turns into a young star in Keary or a faltering Pearce into the star 7 in Cronk , all crucial pieces to success from both signings.
Similar to the storm the Roosters can just pick and choose who require to fill crucial gaps.
Now im not saying both Bellamy and Robinson aren't great coaches, and much of the reason that they can do it is because of how good they are especially Bellamy. But you can't compare what Robinson did to the job Kevvie has , it just isn't even close.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
But that's the mate when you have a core squad and good system , losses like Maloney and sheck are just a little hurdle. Throw in politis's gifted persuasive recruiting and an aging Maloney turns into a young star in Keary or a faltering Pearce into the star 7 in Cronk , all crucial pieces to success from both signings.
Similar to the storm the Roosters can just pick and choose who require to fill crucial gaps.
Now im not saying both Bellamy and Robinson aren't great coaches, and much of the reason that they can do it is because of how good they are especially Bellamy. But you can't compare what Robinson did to the job Kevvie has , it just isn't even close.
I disagree, there's been so many coaches who have entered good systems like Ricky Stuart, Michael Hagan, Michael Maguire etc. who have enjoyed early success but couldn't sustain it. Robinson had to make some big calls and while he endured 2016 ultimately it paid off in the years ahead and he improved as a coach.

I agree that 2013 isn't comparable, but their stints at the Catalans are where Robinson cleaned up Walters' mess.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I disagree, there's been so many coaches who have entered good systems like Ricky Stuart, Michael Hagan, Michael Maguire etc. who have enjoyed early success but couldn't sustain it. Robinson had to make some big calls and while he endured 2016 ultimately it paid off in the years ahead and he improved as a coach.

I agree that 2013 isn't comparable, but their stints at the Catalans are where Robinson cleaned up Walters' mess.
yeah like I've mentioned before that i think Robinson is a fantastic coach, one of the best but he still gets plenty of help.
You mentioned about him making some big calls and he improved as a coach , does Kevvie get that chance ? He also has made some big calls and also some good signings (without the sombrero), will he improve? I'm not sure but he deserves a chance.
As for the Catalans im not to concerned, to many variables.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Just to be clear, my point wasn't to bag out Walters, just to touch on the Robinson tangent.

You mentioned about him making some big calls and he improved as a coach , does Kevvie get that chance ?

Without going around in circles, Robinson had runs on the boards that afforded him that opportunity. Kevie simply doesn't have those runs on the board for one reason or another. So no he won't be offered the same chance.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Just to be clear, my point wasn't to bag out Walters, just to touch on the Robinson tangent.

Without going around in circles, Robinson had runs on the boards that afforded him that opportunity. Kevie simply doesn't have those runs on the board for one reason or another. So no he won't be offered the same chance.
yeah i understand what you're saying but i believe we have to give him a chance, if we wanted a coach with runs on the board why didn't we go for green.
Slim pickings and Seibold had runs on the board also and in a similar position to what Robinson was given, and he completely choked and put us in a worse position.
If we don't give Kevvie the chance than what ? We get another coach who requires to change their roster and style , to much chopping and changing isn't the way . Unless there is another Robinson type coach then i just don't see the point, even if we get a young Good coach i think they come in with Walters and slowly change hands.
I'd like to hear what you would do because there isn't to many other options.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
yeah i understand what you're saying but i believe we have to give him a chance, if we wanted a coach with runs on the board why didn't we go for green.
Slim pickings and Seibold had runs on the board also and in a similar position to what Robinson was given, and he completely choked and put us in a worse position.
If we don't give Kevvie the chance than what ? We get another coach who requires to change their roster and style , to much chopping and changing isn't the way . Unless there is another Robinson type coach then i just don't see the point, even if we get a young Good coach i think they come in with Walters and slowly change hands.
I'd like to hear what you would do because there isn't to many other options.
To use a RL adage: only pass it to someone in a better position than yourself.

Before you even consider flicking Walters; there has to be a plan in place, you have to have that someone better to replace him with. Forward, not sideways.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
We're an entitled bunch aren't we, we expect the best, unconditionally.

We don't want to go through a period of developing the next bloke, even if he is one of the great Bronco players.

They don't fall from trees, wake up to yourselves, what's plan b? The Walker brothers? fair dinkum..

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It isn't really a glowing endorsement though is it - You can stay coach because frankly we just can't find anyone else with a decent record, so you'll do for now.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
We're an entitled bunch aren't we, we expect the best, unconditionally.

We don't want to go through a period of developing the next bloke, even if he is one of the great Bronco players.

They don't fall from trees, wake up to yourselves, what's plan b? The Walker brothers? fair dinkum..
This isn’t a slight on Kev at all but I’m genuinely curious what the average length until first premiership / grand final appearance is for coaches who reach that level.

It would be interesting data if you could extrapolate that coaches will either win (or appear in) a GF by x seasons in the NRL or never at all.

@Big Pete , what are your initial intuitions on this? Do you think there’s any interesting patterns to be found if I bothered doing the work?

From the top of my head Cleary is the biggest outlier in recent history taking over a decade of coaching NRL to win one. Took about 4 years to get the Warriors to a GF to from memory.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
It isn't really a glowing endorsement though is it - You can stay coach because frankly we just can't find anyone else with a decent record, so you'll do for now.
No it isn't because lets be honest it's a results driven business, but what you can do is back him and put quality assistants around him and see if he grows.
What else do you do?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
This isn’t a slight on Kev at all but I’m genuinely curious what the average length until first premiership / grand final appearance is for coaches who reach that level.

It would be interesting data if you could extrapolate that coaches will either win (or appear in) a GF by x seasons in the NRL or never at all.

@Big Pete , what are your initial intuitions on this? Do you think there’s any interesting patterns to be found if I bothered doing the work?

From the top of my head Cleary is the biggest outlier in recent history taking over a decade of coaching NRL to win one. Took about 4 years to get the Warriors to a GF to from memory.
Here's a crueler yardstick: judge the coaches by how well they coached their sons (who made into the NRL).

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
No it isn't because lets be honest it's a results driven business, but what you can do is back him and put quality assistants around him and see if he grows.
What else do you do?

For the record, I agree with your suggestion, you spend big on a CAREFULLY selected assistant who you groom for the job if Kevvie fails (and lets be honest, NONE of us want him to fail, we ALL want him to succeed). Whether that be Ciraldo / Slater / Hodges / whoever. I also think this is what Donuts was alluding to when he was talking about getting the right people in and around Kevvie.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Maroon4life
  • Sproj
  • BroncsNBundy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • Galco
  • Gaz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  • bert_lifts
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.