Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kev’s coaching win rate:

Catalans: 36.8%
QLD: 50%
Broncos: 29.2%

36 wins / 93 games
36.5%

Kev also has the unflattering title as the lowest NRL win % of all current coaches - though he’s also coached the least NRL games.
He has 1 win from 5 in trials.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Kev’s coaching win rate:

Catalans: 36.8%
QLD: 50%
Broncos: 29.2%

36 wins / 93 games
36.5%

Kev also has the unflattering title as the lowest NRL win % of all current coaches - though he’s also coached the least NRL games.

Better than Seibold?

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Should've waited and see how Kev performs under pressure before making the call.

I'd say he's already done well enough under pressure, turned the club around somewhat last season, not sure how much realistically he can turn the club around in his first season but he did everything we probably wanted him to do.

Cleaned out the club and the roster, brought in some more experienced players this season and obviously the valued signing of a decent halfback. I know we are used to riding high in the top 4 every season but that's not always reality, he's done everything we could have wanted him to do. This season will be the test and we will definitely know more but I don't know what else he could have done to warrant a short-term extension.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I'd like to hear from a few others, what else could he have done?

Realistically, of course.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
The old, training the house down adage….

I don’t hate it but no denying he’s done well to extend already after a 14th and no real sign of improvement.
that's what I'm saying there is obviously improvement that is being seen and I'm not talking just results or training form.
He gets judged on results and how the team has looked in trials , but by reports the stuff he's bringing off the field like confidence and calmness are strong building blocks.
To put it into perspective he got given an absolute rabble of a footy team , and dealt with a rabble of a football department. He got that team to put in positive performances without some of our better players, and has added some crucial pieces to hopefully get us back on track.
I really don't get the people who think he doesn't deserve at least this year to see what he can do with a solid football department , and with a team that he's started to mold.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
that's what I'm saying there is obviously improvement that is being seen and I'm not talking just results or training form.
He gets judged on results and how the team has looked in trials , but by reports the stuff he's bringing off the field like confidence and calmness are strong building blocks.
To put it into perspective he got given an absolute rabble of a footy team , and dealt with a rabble of a football department. He got that team to put in positive performances without some of our better players, and has added some crucial pieces to hopefully get us back on track.
I really don't get the people who think he doesn't deserve at least this year to see what he can do with a solid football department , and with a team that he's started to mold.
Sometimes I forget the seibold era…

I’m not down on him getting extended I just think it’s a bit surprising and would have thought 6-8 weeks in see how we’re travelling… but then again the whole circus would restart if we were going shit

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Sometimes I forget the seibold era…

I’m not down on him getting extended I just think it’s a bit surprising and would have thought 6-8 weeks in see how we’re travelling… but then again the whole circus would restart if we were going shit
yeah exactly and that's the positive nature of what they've done , instills the team with confidence when your coach has the backing of the board . Last thing we need now is a media frenzy just waiting to chew Kevvie up and spit him out without anyone backing him .
All though results will need to come i just think you need to put the building blocks in place after the last few years, stability and character need to be achieved then hopefully results follow.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
yeah exactly and that's the positive nature of what they've done , instills the team with confidence when your coach has the backing of the board . Last thing we need now is a media frenzy just waiting to chew Kevvie up and spit him out without anyone backing him .
All though results will need to come i just think you need to put the building blocks in place after the last few years, stability and character need to be achieved then hopefully results follow.
I think Kev is a good figure head. The media like him which is a nice change and it shuts up all the gronky old boys who were white anting hard since Wayne left and Kev missed out on the gig last time.

Kev will be alright as a figure head. He just needs enough support around him to do the actual work.

Ikin has seemingly taken charge of the roster which is good. Hopefully he also reigns in Kev’s frivolous chopping and changing.

Dave has stepped in and gotten involved with the player recruitment interactions which is good.

I think you just need to pay Kev a budget salary and spend big on assistance.

Not at all impressed with Cartwright and Matterson. Matto had a 39% win record as a coach and Carty overlooked the dumpster fire at the titans. Boasting 2 finals appearances and a wooden spoon in 8 years (46% win rate).

I much prefer we sacked Carty and / or Matterson than Kev - and splash massive on assistant coaches. Especially defence - which is why I think we should use the money we save on Kev to offer Ciraldo double what the Panthers are paying him to be an assistant.

Would also be watching Ryan Hinchcliffe closely.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I think Kev is a good figure head. The media like him which is a nice change and it shuts up all the gronky old boys who were white anting hard since Wayne left and Kev missed out on the gig last time.

Kev will be alright as a figure head. He just needs enough support around him to do the actual work.

Ikin has seemingly taken charge of the roster which is good. Hopefully he also reigns in Kev’s frivolous chopping and changing.

Dave has stepped in and gotten involved with the player recruitment interactions which is good.

I think you just need to pay Kev a budget salary and spend big on assistance.

Not at all impressed with Cartwright and Matterson. Matto had a 39% win record as a coach and Carty overlooked the dumpster fire at the titans. Boasting 2 finals appearances and a wooden spoon in 8 years (46% win rate).

I much prefer we sacked Carty and / or Matterson than Kev - and splash massive on assistant coaches. Especially defence - which is why I think we should use the money we save on Kev to offer Ciraldo double what the Panthers are paying him to be an assistant.

Would also be watching Ryan Hinchcliffe closely.
i agree he needs quality around him and i to aren't sold on Matterson or Cartwright, hopefully we can sort that out but I think Kevvie's train of thought was experience.
Also I think you're looking into his previous record with blinkers on.

catalan dragons -he had one good year the next was average, but they did lose a few players.(plus at least half the team was french)

Queensland - 2 from 4 series whilst losing Slater, Smith ,Cronk and Thurston, whilst NSW got stronger.
not bad going considering Mal has a 66% win rate and he had all those players in their prime and Lockyer , scott , civinoceva, thaiday , folou, Hodges, yow yeh , inglis , parker.......
i think Kevvie did well for what he had to deal with.

2021 Broncos- need i say more other than poor barstard.
As for the chopping and changing even DD mentioned it was a year of paning through what he had and what he wanted to remove.
Im not saying he's going be the next super coach but I think he deserves a decent crack to show what he can do with a settled roster that he's put together, maybe you should dig up some stats on teams changing coaches after winning the spoon to get something to guage from. would be interesting to see.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
i agree he needs quality around him and i to aren't sold on Matterson or Cartwright, hopefully we can sort that out but I think Kevvie's train of thought was experience.
Also I think you're looking into his previous record with blinkers on.

catalan dragons -he had one good year the next was average, but they did lose a few players.(plus at least half the team was french)

Queensland - 2 from 4 series whilst losing Slater, Smith ,Cronk and Thurston, whilst NSW got stronger.
not bad going considering Mal has a 66% win rate and he had all those players in their prime and Lockyer , scott , civinoceva, thaiday , folou, Hodges, yow yeh , inglis , parker.......
i think Kevvie did well for what he had to deal with.

2021 Broncos- need i say more other than poor barstard.
As for the chopping and changing even DD mentioned it was a year of paning through what he had and what he wanted to remove.
Im not saying he's going be the next super coach but I think he deserves a decent crack to show what he can do with a settled roster that he's put together, maybe you should dig up some stats on teams changing coaches after winning the spoon to get something to guage from. would be interesting to see.
Good points. I wasn’t expressing an opinion of Kev with the stats - just dropped them there as I thought they were relevant. They will be good to look back on when Kev coaches us for 10 years with a 70% win record and we can look back and see how far he’s come.

As for Catalans, Kev took a team that came 3rd the season before he arrived to 8th then 14th. Trent Robinson took over and took them to 6th and 4th with a win record not too unlike his NRL record (59% / 65%). The French thing is a good example of what makes Trent the coach he is - As far as I know of the 2 only Trent is now fluent in French. He spoke French at training.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Good points. I wasn’t expressing an opinion of Kev with the stats - just dropped them there as I thought they were relevant. They will be good to look back on when Kev coaches us for 10 years with a 70% win record and we can look back and see how far he’s come.

As for Catalans, Kev took a team that came 3rd the season before he arrived to 8th then 14th. Trent Robinson took over and took them to 6th and 4th with a win record not too unlike his NRL record (59% / 65%). The French thing is a good example of what makes Trent the coach he is - As far as I know of the 2 only Trent is now fluent in French. He spoke French at training.
stats as we know don't paint the whole picture ,and it seems Robinson played and coached Toulouse Olympique from 2003 till when he took over from Kevvie.
Bit easier knowing the language and possibly some players, and coaching longer i would assume.
Anyway like i said im not saying Kevvie will be like Robinson but he does deserve time not just one season when the walls had already collapsed , or a couple of seasons in the SL .

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
stats as we know don't paint the whole picture ,and it seems Robinson played and coached Toulouse Olympique from 2003 till when he took over from Kevvie.
Bit easier knowing the language and possibly some players, and coaching longer i would assume.
Anyway like i said im not saying Kevvie will be like Robinson but he does deserve time not just one season when the walls had already collapsed , or a couple of seasons in the SL .
Robinson was a coach at Toulous for 1 season then returned to NRL as assistant coach until he went to Catalans many years later. He did play there for a year or 2 though so he did have that head start on Kev.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Robinson was a coach at Toulous for 1 season then returned to NRL as assistant coach until he went to Catalans many years later. He did play there for a year or 2 though so he did have that head start on Kev.
Look either way I'm definitely not saying Kevvie is in the same league as Robinson, i just think he's getting to harshly judged from last year.
Would've loved to see a Bellamy or Robinson take up a similar challenge.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I wouldn't describe 2009 as a good year for Walters. Big things were expected of the Catalans coming off their most successful season and big name signings like Greg Bird, Steve Bell and Jason Ryles. However it got off to a horrific start and Kev was under pressure right away. He bought himself enough time by making the GF qualifier but nobody was shocked when the Dragons won the wooden spoon.

Whatever good will Kev had built at the Jets had been squandered.

Unread

Active Now

• Midean
  • Battler
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • bert_lifts
  • RodF
  • mrslong
  • Browny
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrMoore
  • lakers133334
  • Galah
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brocko
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.