OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

I think we all knew this would play out like it has since Kevie was appointed.

Kev's name has been tossed up as a potential Broncos coach since he basically retired in 2001. In fact, he first coached the Broncos all the way back in 2003 to a 4-40 loss against the Bulldogs. I don't think sections of the fanbase were ever going to move on until Kev got his shot and when the Broncos found themselves at their worst, what did they have to lose?

The Broncos needed a figurehead who was willing to make some tough decisions and rebalance the roster. The roster was in terrible shape after the disastrous decision to sack Bennett and Kev had enough cart blanche to get away with it.

Coming out of 2022 it only seemed like a matter of time before time was called on the Kevolution and it was time to get a new head coach. However the Broncos had the most amazing sense of timing in competition history and just about snatched the 2023 premiership until their limitations were exposed in one of the most humiliating losses in Rugby League history.

It proved a curse because now players were demanding much higher wages based on this golden run of form that was always going to be difficult to sustain. Especially without key players like Farnworth, Flegler and Capewell to help sustain that form.

Unfortunately instead of building on that experience, the Broncos became complacent and made some really neglectful decisions. Some players were being white anted out of the club, others didn't want to be at the club and for whatever reason the club stood in their way and the pathways were completely exposed.

Little by little, the confidence the players had in 23 eroded and by the end they were winning ugly or getting absolutely flogged. It was apparent that Kev had done all he could and there was nothing more he could offer.

It's just a question of who comes into replace him. I think the most logical choice would be Maguire under the guise that he's the best available and has premiership success. It's not ideal and I think Madge left a lot to be desired at both Souths and Wests but he's had an opportunity to learn and on the surface shapes as an improvement on Kevie.

I think the other options like your Hannays and Thorns are far more risky and feel like sentimental picks. I feel the Broncos would be wise to go with a meritocratic approach.

I think we all knew this would play out like it has since Kevie was appointed.

Kev's name has been tossed up as a potential Broncos coach since he basically retired in 2001. In fact, he first coached the Broncos all the way back in 2003 to a 4-40 loss against the Bulldogs. I don't think sections of the fanbase were ever going to move on until Kev got his shot and when the Broncos found themselves at their worst, what did they have to lose?

The Broncos needed a figurehead who was willing to make some tough decisions and rebalance the roster. The roster was in terrible shape after the disastrous decision to sack Bennett and Kev had enough cart blanche to get away with it.

Coming out of 2022 it only seemed like a matter of time before time was called on the Kevolution and it was time to get a new head coach. However the Broncos had the most amazing sense of timing in competition history and just about snatched the 2023 premiership until their limitations were exposed in one of the most humiliating losses in Rugby League history.

It proved a curse because now players were demanding much higher wages based on this golden run of form that was always going to be difficult to sustain. Especially without key players like Farnworth, Flegler and Capewell to help sustain that form.

Unfortunately instead of building on that experience, the Broncos became complacent and made some really neglectful decisions. Some players were being white anted out of the club, others didn't want to be at the club and for whatever reason the club stood in their way and the pathways were completely exposed.

Little by little, the confidence the players had in 23 eroded and by the end they were winning ugly or getting absolutely flogged. It was apparent that Kev had done all he could and there was nothing more he could offer.

It's just a question of who comes into replace him. I think the most logical choice would be Maguire under the guise that he's the best available and has premiership success. It's not ideal and I think Madge left a lot to be desired at both Souths and Wests but he's had an opportunity to learn and on the surface shapes as an improvement on Kevie.

I think the other options like your Hannays and Thorns are far more risky and feel like sentimental picks. I feel the Broncos would be wise to go with a meritocratic approach.

What are your thoughts on Arthur?

Reyno saying the players were blindsided by the decision.

If they weren't consulted first... That's pretty incompetent.
Not really.

DD did exactly what was needed, and did it decisively. A strong administration leads to a strong club. A quick, clean death is a good death. The players would have leaked it.

Hopefully this puts to bed DDs credentials. With the Siebold like performance in 24…the writing has been on the wall for some time. I have no doubt DD has a short term and long term plan. Well done DD.

Rest up Kev. Great player and a nice bloke.

What are your thoughts on Arthur?
Bridesmaid, never a bride.

I also have to question his decision to sign on with Parramatta in 2023. The writing was on the wall, he should have backed himself to find another gig.

Still plenty to like and he can point to the number of players who came to him at Parramatta and became better players. Still, stayed around too long and it was difficult to distinguish his limitations with the club's limitations.

Also, you left Holbrook out of your list. You're slipping mate.
Has anyone other than FG linked him to the club? Not a horrible suggestion mind you but he doesn't have the experience or the convictions.

When does the Board face consequences for their continued rubbish decisions. Not replacing Ben Ikin with a strong football manager to support the coach and now it seems the coach is taking the fall for the lack of support from the front office and from the players performance.

So that's now 2 coaches fired by Brisbane who we are paying freight on..

That's starting to add up isn't it

Michael Maguire is the man we need.

Even if there is some long-term concerns about him holding the support of a playing group, short-term, there's nobody even close to him on the market who could get us back to contending for a title next year. Panthers & Roosters are losing several key players, and with Reynolds retiring after next season, 2025 could genuinely be our last title shot for the next 3-5 years, conservatively.

We need a hard taskmaster to come in, get the boys rock-hard fit like they were for 2023, and weed out any pea hearts in the pre-season (cough, Cobbo, cough). Some of the kids on this roster need a pre-season army camp like you wouldn't believe.

Can he? Or does he just have a generational squad?
I remember everyone raving about him but he’d done **** all really other than lose a grand final with the warriors until he teamed up with Big Chin Jr

Has anyone other than FG linked him to the club? Not a horrible suggestion mind you but he doesn't have the experience or the convictions.

Oh, no idea. Beyond in here, I haven't really been able to sink my teeth in to what's going on with it all. I just noticed in his extensive list, Sproj left him out lol.

Bronxnation has been a fun read.

Michael Maguire is the man we need.

Even if there is some long-term concerns about him holding the support of a playing group, short-term, there's nobody even close to him on the market who could get us back to contending for a title next year. Panthers & Roosters are losing several key players, and with Reynolds retiring after next season, 2025 could genuinely be our last title shot for the next 3-5 years, conservatively.

We need a hard taskmaster to come in, get the boys rock-hard fit like they were for 2023, and weed out any pea hearts in the pre-season (cough, Cobbo, cough). Some of the kids on this roster need a pre-season army camp like you wouldn't believe.
I struggle to see Adam Reynolds as one of our aces in 2025. He's, at best, not a liability. Not having a successor to him is though.

When does the Board face consequences for their continued rubbish decisions. Not replacing Ben Ikin with a strong football manager to support the coach and now it seems the coach is taking the fall for the lack of support from the front office and from the players performance.
This is exactly it!! We can't be forcing the coach out and allowing all the incompetence from our administration.

Seemed like the departure of Ikin may have been a turning point? Backed the wrong pony at that time perhaps?

Not sure who they choose but Madge seems like another terrible idea.

Oh well.. maybe they get lucky this time, recruitment and roster has been an obvious failure and should be first up against the wall after the kevolution… and take that coach whisperer please with the silly platitudes and affirmations .. ‘we aren’t trying to make the 8.. we will make the 8!!

Anchorman GIF

Bronco Cheat Sheet:

When the adminstration publicly backs coach, they've already signed his replacement.

When player declares Bronco for life, he has just signed elsewhere.

When the playing group publicly backs the coach, he's lost the dressing room.

Player is shocked, he leaked it

For the love of ****, get rid of Moose McGuire too. We started sliding when he was announced as working with us.

Active Now

• Santa
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • kiwibronco
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Ondi
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Johnny92
  • MTF75
  • Inknition
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  • jd87
  • Wild Horse
  • HarryAllan7
  • RolledOates
  • Swordfish
  • mitch222
  • teampjta
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.