OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

The club called a meeting of all players this morning - simulcast on Zoom for holidaymakers - they're going after Madge to be the next coach.
Feels like overcompensating for not letting them know Kev was sacked before the media reported it, otherwise why not just tell them when he has been officially appointed.

I never considered Madge a great option until the Matty Johns podcast convinced me. I said at the time it felt like a set up to get Madge the broncos gig.

It was on September 9. Less than 20 days later it looks like Madge has the job.

I’m not sure what the angle was entirely but it feels to me that things were already in motion by the time Madge did that podcast. If so, what was the point of it?

It felt disrespectful to Kev at the time. Was it a planned PR piece to win good favour with the public before the whole charade of Kevie’s due process played out? It was a great piece of propaganda

@McHunt , you usually have pretty good theories around these media dances. If I gave you permission to entirely speculate, what is your thoughts on what occurred?
I've mentioned this a few times, but once again, Rothfield tipped us off months ago:

And in case you didn't guess who he meant he doubled down later:

It's clearly been on the cards for some time, but the review provided the cover they needed to get it done.

For my own morbid curiosity, I'd like to know to what extent Billy's name came up in the review.

For my own morbid curiosity, I'd like to know to what extent Billy's name came up in the review.
let it go GIF

This is why I am not a fan of him coming on board. Compare it to Arthur, a bloke who a lot on here are saying nope nah ah. Arthur has an impressive record. If I was wanting an experienced coach - I'd be going for him over Maguire without thinking twice.

My personal preference though would be Adrian Lam but I know that isn't even being entertained. So for me, Arthur is a FAR better pick.
Our players will do exactly what they did with Kev to Arthur or Holbrook. We have done the buddy coach and it's time for a change. Plus I can't deal with another bloke that will have his son replacing Reynolds.

Some of his press conference reactions were very strange but to blow up at your own review just takes the cake. Club legend but a very strange person indeed.
He is a club legend and was a tremendous player, but he is also an idiot. Idiots are afraid of their own shortcomings being revealed (I know from personal experience) and the typical reaction is to lash out.

Our players will do exactly what they did with Kev to Arthur or Holbrook. We have done the buddy coach and it's time for a change. Plus I can't deal with another bloke that will have his son replacing Reynolds.

You always go too far the other way when you replace a coach- Micky Arthar made them do homework, Lehmann replaced him and let everyone have a relaxed approach and they went well loose, Langer went back to intense and now McDonald is sleepy again.

Seibold killed everyone with data and homework, Kev was a relaxed casual approach to correct the mood.

Nope. Kevvie lost all benefit of the doubt on this subject when he shot down questions about Mozer with "Billy was good, too." Bearing in mind he'd given away four penalties in that match. And then when Billy walked out of his radio side-gig, it was clear Kevvie wasn't just the coach. He was daddy. The charade ended right there.

But this is just us fans talking. What did the players say?

He is a club legend and was a tremendous player, but he is also an idiot. Idiots are afraid of their own shortcomings being revealed (I know from personal experience) and the typical reaction is to lash out.
Detective Simmons gets his man.

Out of interest, what is the site's highest traffic ever?

My guesses would be:
- 2023 GF post full time
- spoon confirmation
- Seibold sacking

I remember the record on the old forum when it happened was the day after Locky did his ACL. Sad day because we were looking unbeatable up to that point.

Billy hasn't ragequit yet, he's still a talking point. Probably the only player in our team whose salary hasn't been speculated on by the media. If you needed a clue where the leaks were coming from.

Billy hasn't ragequit yet, he's still a talking point. Probably the only player in our team whose salary hasn't been speculated on by the media. If you needed a clue where the leaks were coming from.
$240k if you can believe this (which I wouldn't, especially if family backhanders are involved):

He shouldn't quit. No club is likely to pay him any more to fester in reserve grade. Plus he and Madge have history.

I sure hope Billy stays on. The best thing madge can do when he gets here is honor kev and his achievements. I don't think the Billy haters can name a better utility at the club that can come on and play hooker or half at any given moment. Particularly when our halfback is made of glass.

The fans in here should show some respect to Kev as well. He has called for the fans to stand by the club which took guts and humility. Regardless of his shortcomings as a coach he evidently loves the Broncos more than himself and does not want to see the club abandoned.

No need to stick the boot in now that he's gone. It's over let's move onwards and upwards.

It would be pretty funny if Billy still ended up first choice 9 even with a new coach.

I was impressed with the organisation of the Blues during origin this year. They had the right amount of mongrel and desire that we just couldn't match in any of the 3 games. Also remember how Haas was a different animal too. If he can produce those ethics into our team, which has been sadly lacking, mixed with the talented players we have, we could be looking at a good season to come.

Detective Simmons gets his man.
Unfortunately, it’s sad to see it come to this and I’m not gloating about it.

But I am more concerned about the club than I am who has fallen by the way side.

Why do they always wait until it‘s too late to pull the trigger? Why does every major decision they make, seem to smack of desperation and incompetent knee-jerk reaction, rather than a solid, thought through plan?

Active Now

• barker
  • Jason Simmons
  • Battler
  • Swordfish
  • kwomo
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Reds2011
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • marw
  • Allo
  • mrslong
  • whykickamoocow
  • theshed
  • mrtij
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Bronco bob
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.