OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

I sure hope Billy stays on. The best thing madge can do when he gets here is honor kev and his achievements. I don't think the Billy haters can name a better utility at the club that can come on and play hooker or half at any given moment. Particularly when our halfback is made of glass.

The fans in here should show some respect to Kev as well. He has called for the fans to stand by the club which took guts and humility. Regardless of his shortcomings as a coach he evidently loves the Broncos more than himself and does not want to see the club abandoned.

No need to stick the boot in now that he's gone. It's over let's move onwards and upwards.

Thanks for posting Billy.

You always go too far the other way when you replace a coach- Micky Arthar made them do homework, Lehmann replaced him and let everyone have a relaxed approach and they went well loose, Langer went back to intense and now McDonald is sleepy again.

Seibold killed everyone with data and homework, Kev was a relaxed casual approach to correct the mood.
Yeah it's definitely a risk of occurring here. My personal hope is Madge has learnt a thing or two about his shortcoming in the past. Hopefully if he does become the coach that this is exactly what we get, a new improved Madge capable of something special. If not we could end up in a very bad way, with a not so desirable club to come and play for.

I'm with you, but what surprised me is the fallout happened before Vegas. We were shithouse from Round One and never convinced even once all season, even when the ladder flattered us.
Something was off, but I do recall I was really behind him early this year. He was good post game early and seemed to be making some right calls. But then it started to spiral and it became obvious that Kev couldn't stay on track and reverted back to his worst traits. He really burnt Patty to the ground this year, because he didn't believe in his men, or couldn't get them up to the level required. Either way it's unacceptable to flog a guy like that without a rest week in week out.

Smoothy could fill in, in a pinch. Doesn’t really matter, just make Mam and Walsh take over. Most teams don’t have a half on the bench.
Sad truth is we don't have the utilities we need. In the past couple of years that's thrown our entire bench out of whack, not least because it seemed the first priority was to accommodate 20 minute Billy.

Moving on from that albatross, Mozer is now the key. He has the dummy half role down in spades. He'll be a massive boost for us in attack. He must start.

But he's not without his own issues, and they will need to be resolved in the preseason or we're in a different kind of shit. His defence is substandard for a hooker, and either he's not fit enough or he's a bit lazy. That won't cut it.

If Madge can beat him into shape, and he can deliver us 60 minutes, and occasionally 80 if needed, we're on the right track.

As for the right 14, that might depend who we're playing. If we're facing a fit, attacking team like the Storm, we'll need watertight defence. If we're getting on a roll and want to rack up the points, we'll need a slippery spark who can inject some unpredictability ball in hand.

Neither Walters nor Smoothy offer much spark, and Paix, I can't even remember what he looks like. If we're still stuck with Madden and Rogers, maybe one of them might be more versatile. I don't hate the idea of Madden coming on with 15 to go rather than Billy. But surely we can do better.

If it's primarily defence we need, maybe Smoothy, but he's not much use covering a half. Billy might have the upper hand there.

I think it was best for us to get rid of Kevvie, it was pretty clear he lacked the coaching ability we needed. However, I am of the firm belief that losing Capewell was a much bigger factor than people are giving it credit. I heard it from multiple people and saw it first hand that he set and drove the standards at training. With him gone, and Kevvies inability to drive standards and needing the senior players to help coach the team, those standards clearly dropped. I think Madge will be great for us as he will be much more strict on standards but I also hope that his first act as coach is to bring in more experience and someone that will drive higher standards because that is what these flashy kids need. We have enough attack weapons that this person doesn't need to be flashy, someone like Welch would be perfect I think. All he needs to do is make his tackles and hold the kids accountable.

I think it was best for us to get rid of Kevvie, it was pretty clear he lacked the coaching ability we needed. However, I am of the firm belief that losing Capewell was a much bigger factor than people are giving it credit. I heard it from multiple people and saw it first hand that he set and drove the standards at training. With him gone, and Kevvies inability to drive standards and needing the senior players to help coach the team, those standards clearly dropped. I think Madge will be great for us as he will be much more strict on standards but I also hope that his first act as coach is to bring in more experience and someone that will drive higher standards because that is what these flashy kids need. We have enough attack weapons that this person doesn't need to be flashy, someone like Welch would be perfect I think. All he needs to do is make his tackles and hold the kids accountable.
I don't think he'll have much of a kitty to splash out on talent. Not unless we can offload some chaff.

I don't think he'll have much of a kitty to splash out on talent. Not unless we can offload some chaff.
Yeah, hopefully we can find people to offload. Wasn't there talk that Baker was wanting to go back to Sydney? Also, Hetherington has been told he can look elsewhere right, so hopefully that will be enough to get Welsh and a minimum wager to replace those two.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Battler
  • Dexter
  • Big Del
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Dreaglor
  • broncoscope
  • Johnny92
  • mrslong
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Jason Simmons
  • Galah
  • Browny
  • Aldo
  • broncos4life
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.