THE COACH Kevin Walters

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Can someone with a sub provide the general gist of this?

Why would we be in talks to extend his deal so soon after the last extension?

News Crap "understands" the Broncos "fielded" a request to start extension talks with Walters.

DD quotes below in response:

“There’s no timeline we’re working to,” Donaghy said when asked if the club has made moves to extend Walters for 2024 and beyond.

“We haven’t had any discussions, all of us have been very conscious of not wanting to create unnecessary distractions in-season. “I think that’s worked well.

“There’ll be plenty of time in the off-season to sit down and have discussions.” “Kevvie has done a good job,” Donaghy said. “Stability is a big thing for the club and while we have been disappointed with the past few weeks, no-one is putting their heads in the sand.

“We are conscious of what we need to do and Kev has a big role to play in that, as does Ben Ikin our head of football. “Everyone at the Broncos is disappointed with how the last couple of weeks have played out, especially at home.

“We aren’t going to shy away from the disappointment we have felt the last few weeks. “But at the moment, the season is still alive and while there is a glimmer of hope, the guys will do everything they can to bounce back this week.”

Capewell:
“Kevvie’s a great coach,” he said. “He wears his heart on his sleeve and is so passionate. I love that in him."
“What he brings to our team ... he builds our confidence and when we were winning he kept us rolling. “It’s been a pleasure this year under Kevvie and I’m looking forward to next year.”

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
News Crap "understands" the Broncos "fielded" a request to start extension talks with Walters.

DD quotes below in response:

“There’s no timeline we’re working to,” Donaghy said when asked if the club has made moves to extend Walters for 2024 and beyond.

“We haven’t had any discussions, all of us have been very conscious of not wanting to create unnecessary distractions in-season. “I think that’s worked well.

“There’ll be plenty of time in the off-season to sit down and have discussions.” “Kevvie has done a good job,” Donaghy said. “Stability is a big thing for the club and while we have been disappointed with the past few weeks, no-one is putting their heads in the sand.

“We are conscious of what we need to do and Kev has a big role to play in that, as does Ben Ikin our head of football. “Everyone at the Broncos is disappointed with how the last couple of weeks have played out, especially at home.

“We aren’t going to shy away from the disappointment we have felt the last few weeks. “But at the moment, the season is still alive and while there is a glimmer of hope, the guys will do everything they can to bounce back this week.”

Capewell:
“Kevvie’s a great coach,” he said. “He wears his heart on his sleeve and is so passionate. I love that in him."
“What he brings to our team ... he builds our confidence and when we were winning he kept us rolling. “It’s been a pleasure this year under Kevvie and I’m looking forward to next year.”
Thanks 👍

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Doesn’t sound like Kevvie is going anywhere anytime soon, but surely we need to be looking at turning over the assistants with more modern & technical voices to compliment Kevvie’s “heart on his sleeve”.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I remember looking into this and being disappointed.

tommy is right that bgoat was actually fine with Seibs right up until Bennett was sacked a year out from serving his contract, at which point he started his campaign.

The actual OGs were Accept and Cult, they just didn't tie their entire existence into death riding the coach. Even I expressed my concerns with Seibold well before bgoat and I was coming off a sabbatical.
It’s kinda sad for him he was so “right” about that. About the same time he went down his conspiracy rabbit hole and the possibility of only himself being right in arguments took full hold.

before seibold came along, bg was somewhat sane.

there I said it.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Doesn’t sound like Kevvie is going anywhere anytime soon, but surely we need to be looking at turning over the assistants with more modern & technical voices to compliment Kevvie’s “heart on his sleeve”.
What/who is in the Kevie team?
...and what roles do they play?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
It’s kinda sad for him he was so “right” about that. About the same time he went down his conspiracy rabbit hole and the possibility of only himself being right in arguments took full hold.

before seibold came along, bg was somewhat sane.

there I said it.
Covid19 pushed him over the edge.....

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I remember looking into this and being disappointed.

tommy is right that bgoat was actually fine with Seibs right up until Bennett was sacked a year out from serving his contract, at which point he started his campaign.

The actual OGs were Accept and Cult, they just didn't tie their entire existence into death riding the coach. Even I expressed my concerns with Seibold well before bgoat and I was coming off a sabbatical.
Excuse me:

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021

Id say this is actually a good thing.
Kev obviously knows Reynolds ability and football brain he posesses why waste it, Adam knows what works as he's a current NRL player, Kev hasn't played for 20 years.
Look at Seibold apparently he had all these plans the players didn't understand.

Probably happens at other clubs too.. Melbourne with smith, Cronk, Slater.
Teams James Maloney played for.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Not the biggest endorsement of Kevvie is it.

Duel Premiership winner Capes, on the other hand, does endorse Kevvie:

“Kevvie’s a great coach,” he said.

“He wears his heart on his sleeve and is so passionate. I love that in him.

“What he brings to our team ... he builds our confidence and when we were winning he kept us rolling.

“It’s been a pleasure this year under Kevvie and I’m looking forward to next year.”

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Id say this is actually a good thing.
Kev obviously knows Reynolds ability and football brain he posesses why waste it, Adam knows what works as he's a current NRL player, Kev hasn't played for 20 years.
Look at Seibold apparently he had all these plans the players didn't understand.

Probably happens at other clubs too.. Melbourne with smith, Cronk, Slater.
Teams James Maloney played for.
It sounds okay until you think about it. He's actually saying Kevvie is out of touch with the modern game and it's being left up to the players to coach themselves. He's rendering Kevvie to being a cheerleader/babysitter.

A hint that it's not a good thing is that the bloke saying it asked to leave to another club.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Duel Premiership winner Capes, on the other hand, does endorse Kevvie:

“Kevvie’s a great coach,” he said.

“He wears his heart on his sleeve and is so passionate. I love that in him.

“What he brings to our team ... he builds our confidence and when we were winning he kept us rolling.

“It’s been a pleasure this year under Kevvie and I’m looking forward to next year.”
Yet it’s the same narrative, emotion, which isn’t sustainable.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
It sounds okay until you think about it. He's actually saying Kevvie is out of touch with the modern game and it's being left up to the players to coach themselves. He's rendering Kevvie to being a cheerleader/babysitter.

A hint that it's not a good thing is that the bloke saying it asked to leave to another club.
Bloke who's saying it and asked for a release also is stuck behind another guy not getting game time.
The idea of getting Reynolds in was pretty much this, Tyson raved about it at the start of the year in interviews going on about learning as much as he can and be a sponge.
If Kevvie and his assistants were telling our captain and key playmaker how to run the attack I'd be more worried.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015

I actually think gamble leaving is a good thing after watching that. Say what you will about Walters, he has won 6 premierships as a player and played in 7 gfs as well as coaching and playing origin and playing for Australia. He fucking knows footy, and despite footy changing in professionalism it's still the team who runs the hardest and has the best defensive attitude who wins 99/100 times. I like gamble on the field but that clip just SCREAMS to me that he thinks he he's above the coach and you can't have that in your squad. He's a 100% effort on the field but unless the rest of your spine is rep level gamble isn't taking you near the promised land. He's a squad player who could find a spot off the bench and I think he has forgotten he would still be playing qld cup if not for the broncos....

Unread

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Rambstien
  • mitch222
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mr Fourex
  • porouian
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • thenry
  • Aldo
  • Maddy
  • Cavalo
  • Jedhead
  • Ondi
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • mystico
  • Midean
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.