THE COACH Kevin Walters

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The context is it's with hindsight, this isn't even news if Broncos didn't drop off a cliff after that was aired and Tyson wasn't playing when that happened.

It's complete over reaction and finger pointing.
They're reacting the same way I did when you posted it. It's always newsworthy when a player drops his guard and speaks openly. It's a rare commodity these days. All these players are media trained, given talking points and chaperoned to and from press conference. After games, they blurt out the same tired platitudes you've heard a million times from every other player.

This interview was pure gold. Full credit to you for posting it, and to all the boys for their comments.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Wasn't Bennet also known not to be a very technical coach (and more around managing the man)? I don't think it's so bad if the coach isn't planning every detail and more focused on attitude and culture.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Wasn't Bennet also known not to be a very technical coach (and more around managing the man)? I don't think it's so bad if the coach isn't planning every detail and more focused on attitude and culture.
I pointed this out before, Bennett is as non technical as it comes with even more questionable squad pick decisions, often risking player injury to get them out early and not using the 17th player and or having an outside back on the bench, he has done it for as long as I have watched us.

While there is very different technical approaches to coaching that some pick, others don't even go the technical path and go towards the player psyche path like him, to me it looks on the surface that Kevvie has based his philosophy around that and why not, Bennett was his coach for almost his entire first grade Career.

the big problem with that path is Bennett has his reputation to go on, Kevvie doesn't have that luxury so players see an inexperienced coach doing something extremely oddball that only a former Bennett player can probably understand, I think this is probably a reason he won Reyno over.

Back in the day when Bennett was starting it wouldn't of been such a hard sell I would think.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I pointed this out before, Bennett is as non technical as it comes with even more questionable squad pick decisions, often risking player injury to get them out early and not using the 17th player and or having an outside back on the bench, he has done it for as long as I have watched us.

While there is very different technical approaches to coaching that some pick, others don't even go the technical path and go towards the player psyche path like him, to me it looks on the surface that Kevvie has based his philosophy around that and why not, Bennett was his coach for almost his entire first grade Career.

the big problem with that path is Bennett has his reputation to go on, Kevvie doesn't have that luxury so players see an inexperienced coach doing something extremely oddball that only a former Bennett player can probably understand, I think this is probably a reason he won Reyno over.

Back in the day when Bennett was starting it wouldn't of been such a hard sell I would think.
And guys like Gamble and majority of players in the squad wouldn't of ever had a playmaker in the team whose capable of being the master mind in the attack.
Your playmakers who are capable of it should have this control over how the teams play.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
And guys like Gamble and majority of players in the squad wouldn't of ever had a playmaker in the team whose capable of being the master mind in the attack.
Your playmakers who are capable of it should have this control over how the teams play.
The way I see it why not, if a coach doesn't input anything off a player that is in the thick of it and has plenty of experience in big games etc why wouldn't you, I mean all the coaches in the game are ex players afterall.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
strong endorsement of Kevvie from the skipper

It's what they're not saying that's the issue here. Kevvie is a great bloke, passionate guy, but that's all they're saying about him. They aren't talking about how good he is at studying the opposition team, finding weaknesses and creating a gameplan to target those weaknesses or anything like that.

They're just talking about what a good bloke he is.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
It's what they're not saying that's the issue here. Kevvie is a great bloke, passionate guy, but that's all they're saying about him. They aren't talking about how good he is at studying the opposition team, finding weaknesses and creating a gameplan to target those weaknesses or anything like that.

The never satisfied don't need answers though.

MrRobot

MrRobot

NYC Player
Jul 21, 2017
To be honest, nothing in the Gamble interview makes me think any less of Kevvie. Other fans may want something different but I’m happy for him to lead the football team like a manager and leave the technical attack and defence structures to the assistants and senior playmakers. Everyone has their strengths.

If anything, perhaps we need at least one younger, more technically minded assistant coach.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
To be honest, nothing in the Gamble interview makes me think any less of Kevvie. Other fans may want something different but I’m happy for him to lead the football team like a manager and leave the technical attack and defence structures to the assistants and senior playmakers. Everyone has their strengths.

If anything, perhaps we need at least one younger, more technically minded assistant coach.
Yeah it’s one thing for Kev to not be running the attack but you have to ask wtf the assistance do.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021

Cameron Smith and Denan Kemp touched on this on their podcast today.
In short Smith said - I was coached by Kevvie in origin and he did a fantastic job there, different environment but he was apart of the game plan building, he was apart of previewing opposition and breaking down weaknesses and says it's strange Tyson has come out and said this.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Cameron Smith and Denan Kemp touched on this on their podcast today.
In short Smith said - I was coached by Kevvie in origin and he did a fantastic job there, different environment but he was apart of the game plan building, he was apart of previewing opposition and breaking down weaknesses and says it's strange Tyson has come out and said this.
I heard that and maybe it’s just reading too much into things but I thought it was strange that he kept saying “part of”, not “good at” or anything like that - he was just part of it. He didn’t say anything to talk up Kev’s knowledge or ability.

I bet no one would refer to Billy as being “part of” the game plan building at origin this year

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I heard that and maybe it’s just reading too much into things but I thought it was strange that he kept saying “part of”, not “good at” or anything like that - he was just part of it. He didn’t say anything to talk up Kev’s knowledge or ability.

I bet no one would refer to Billy as being “part of” the game plan building at origin this year
he said he did a fantastic job?
Billy had Smith, Thurston and others helping him !

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Culhwch
  • Pablo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • TimWhatley
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  • Big Del
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.