THE COACH Kevin Walters

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Cameron Smith and Denan Kemp touched on this on their podcast today.
In short Smith said - I was coached by Kevvie in origin and he did a fantastic job there, different environment but he was apart of the game plan building, he was apart of previewing opposition and breaking down weaknesses and says it's strange Tyson has come out and said this.
Apart from or a part of?

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I heard that and maybe it’s just reading too much into things but I thought it was strange that he kept saying “part of”, not “good at” or anything like that - he was just part of it. He didn’t say anything to talk up Kev’s knowledge or ability.

I bet no one would refer to Billy as being “part of” the game plan building at origin this year
With Smith, Cronk, Thurston and Boyd as the spine there's not much Kev would of needed to say.
Kev was the attacking coach here in 2015 and we seemed to go alright

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Gamble looks like the sort of person that although he means well, once he starts talking, the words just flow and he digs himself deeper and deeper. I don't think he meant it to come out the way it did and slag off Kev. He'd be a journo's wet dream.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
To be fair, leaders set these types of structures in their teams to empower their operational leaders..capewell and reyno. Give them the reigns, make them the to go guy. You can't ask the coach on the field. As a man manager you would want that place to reciprocate the same structure that the lads would experience on game day. Reyno is the top dog, ask him. Kevy would be the strategic leader, setting the pace, tone, targets and culture. Reyno is the operational leader, you go here, you go there. Do this, do that. His job to bring the strategy to life! I guarantee its exactly how Craig Bellamy used cameron Smith during his last 5 or 6 seasons.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Yeah, I agree. Personally I think Cartwright and Matterson are too similar. Similar age, era, personality etc.

Could have done with someone like a Trent Barrett or Ciraldo type.
Maybe that is why Lee Briers is joining Kev's team as "Transition coach"?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Maybe that is why Lee Briers is joining Kev's team as "Transition coach"?
Pretty sure he’s Wigan’s attack coach, they are second on the ladder with the most total points scored so he must be doing something right.

We need someone to teach us how to tackle more than anything though

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I have held off posting in this thread for a while and just read everyone else's opinions.

I have legitimate doubts over whether KW is going to make it as a long term head coach let alone as the head coach of the Broncos.

But in saying that, there can be no question that he has earned the right to see out next year and depending on how we go in the first half of the season, another contract extension.

I think many of us are wanting a miracle turn around and we are still to some degree buying into the hype of the quality of our young roster. Penrith are now the benchmark, but you look at how long it took them to turn that club around to get where they are.

If you look objectively at the results, he has taken us from the wooden spoon and on an upward trajectory since then. We are going to have a winning season in terms of wins over losses (which is a big improvement over last year) with numbers that in any normal season would see us in the 8. In his first year he was dealing with an absolute clusterfuck of a club with no effective management. The change since DD and Ikin came on board is marked and very apparent.

Add to that, he has also had to deal with trying to balance the roster, which is ongoing and will be for another one or two seasons.

Yes, we probably should have made the 8, but I suspect that we have a number of key players that are carrying injuries which are impacting on their performances. I also think that there is some truth to the contention that fatigue has caught up with this young squad post origin.

It may seem that KW has been around for donkey's years, but in reality he is still a fairly junior coach. Other than the stint as head coach of Catalans (which was more than 10 years ago) this is only his second season. He is also (like a lot of our squad) learning on the job.

Because of the above I think that calls for him to be moved on now are premature. I still firmly believe that the support staff need to be tinkered with and at least one more younger assistant coach with some tactical coaching skills brought in. I still think that Josh Hannay is that man and we should then be grooming him as a possible future head coach. We also really need to look at what is happening on the defensive side as well.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Pretty sure he’s Wigan’s attack coach, they are second on the ladder with the most total points scored so he must be doing something right.

We need someone to teach us how to tackle more than anything though
Don’t disagree, but at least there are some moves afoot in our assistant coaching ranks.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
All this is fair enough, but let’s say KW is the right man for the job and he feeds everything through Reynolds and we win a premiership in 2 years time, Reynolds’ last contract year. Who is the on field general the year after? Mam will only be 22, Reece Walsh not much older. Mozer may only be in his 2nd or 3rd season. We all know Carrigan will likely be captain, but who will be that dominating spine player we require?

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I have held off posting in this thread for a while and just read everyone else's opinions.

I have legitimate doubts over whether KW is going to make it as a long term head coach let alone as the head coach of the Broncos.

But in saying that, there can be no question that he has earned the right to see out next year and depending on how we go in the first half of the season, another contract extension.

I think many of us are wanting a miracle turn around and we are still to some degree buying into the hype of the quality of our young roster. Penrith are now the benchmark, but you look at how long it took them to turn that club around to get where they are.

If you look objectively at the results, he has taken us from the wooden spoon and on an upward trajectory since then. We are going to have a winning season in terms of wins over losses (which is a big improvement over last year) with numbers that in any normal season would see us in the 8. In his first year he was dealing with an absolute clusterfuck of a club with no effective management. The change since DD and Ikin came on board is marked and very apparent.

Add to that, he has also had to deal with trying to balance the roster, which is ongoing and will be for another one or two seasons.

Yes, we probably should have made the 8, but I suspect that we have a number of key players that are carrying injuries which are impacting on their performances. I also think that there is some truth to the contention that fatigue has caught up with this young squad post origin.

It may seem that KW has been around for donkey's years, but in reality he is still a fairly junior coach. Other than the stint as head coach of Catalans (which was more than 10 years ago) this is only his second season. He is also (like a lot of our squad) learning on the job.

Because of the above I think that calls for him to be moved on now are premature. I still firmly believe that the support staff need to be tinkered with and at least one more younger assistant coach with some tactical coaching skills brought in. I still think that Josh Hannay is that man and we should then be grooming him as a possible future head coach. We also really need to look at what is happening on the defensive side as well.
pure common sense!

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
All this is fair enough, but let’s say KW is the right man for the job and he feeds everything through Reynolds and we win a premiership in 2 years time, Reynolds’ last contract year. Who is the on field general the year after? Mam will only be 22, Reece Walsh not much older. Mozer may only be in his 2nd or 3rd season. We all know Carrigan will likely be captain, but who will be that dominating spine player we require?
Depending on what happens i think they will offer Reynolds an extension from his current contract as the most likely scenario.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

great post 👌

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Brocko
  • Culhwch
  • Shane Tronc
  • Aldo
  • Lostboy
  • Morkel
  • phoenix
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Pablo
  • Justwin
  • Skyblues87
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.