THE COACH Kevin Walters

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I actually think gamble leaving is a good thing after watching that. Say what you will about Walters, he has won 6 premierships as a player and played in 7 gfs as well as coaching and playing origin and playing for Australia. He fucking knows footy, and despite footy changing in professionalism it's still the team who runs the hardest and has the best defensive attitude who wins 99/100 times. I like gamble on the field but that clip just SCREAMS to me that he thinks he he's above the coach and you can't have that in your squad. He's a 100% effort on the field but unless the rest of your spine is rep level gamble isn't taking you near the promised land. He's a squad player who could find a spot off the bench and I think he has forgotten he would still be playing qld cup if not for the broncos....
who better to coach the attack then the guy who's out on the field getting a feel for the game calling all the plays..

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I actually think gamble leaving is a good thing after watching that. Say what you will about Walters, he has won 6 premierships as a player and played in 7 gfs as well as coaching and playing origin and playing for Australia. He fucking knows footy, and despite footy changing in professionalism it's still the team who runs the hardest and has the best defensive attitude who wins 99/100 times. I like gamble on the field but that clip just SCREAMS to me that he thinks he he's above the coach and you can't have that in your squad. He's a 100% effort on the field but unless the rest of your spine is rep level gamble isn't taking you near the promised land. He's a squad player who could find a spot off the bench and I think he has forgotten he would still be playing qld cup if not for the broncos....
Later in that interview he’s talking about easy wins on the run home and what it’s like being a finals team - like he has any idea.

If his comments are a reflection of the team they definitely started to rate themselves far too early.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
I don't really take much from the Gamble comments. He wanted to play more this year and is letting off steam.

I think he's being a bit disrespectful to Kevvie though.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

It fucking sucks to have to agree with Gamble on this point, but it's unavoidable now without being disingenuous or just flat out in denial. The "golden age" of footy that existed when Kev and Alfie were doing their thing is long gone. We can fight to bring it back until our legs fall off, at the end of the day the bullshit, horrible wrestlemania grub brand of footy that Bellyache has found success from has come to dominate the code, and it will take a brave administration to challenge them on it, and this current admin is anything but brave.

I'm at the point now where I'm ashamed to remember that psychotic wanker got his start at our club. My only solace is the thought it's possible his falling out with us before his departure was centred around a very different philosophy about what Rugby League ought to be. Reality would suggest it was just Cullen's bungling, and people are welcome to lament losing Bellyache in the first place, but for my part I certainly don't. I don't want the Broncos to be forever smeared with the muck of being the club that patented the shithouse brand of footy that currently dominates, and probably will long after Bellyache retires. Melbourne are welcome to it, imo.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Anthony Seibold has the potential to be a very good NRL coach, is a hill I'm willing to die on.
In all honesty I believe his coaching was/is before it’s time. All the technicalities he wanted to address was/is beyond those currently prepared to address such things.

I have no doubt David Fifita was talking about playing comfortable football in reference to not having to for go his notes and videos rather then just tackling and beating the **** beside him.

I agree, Anthony will make it one day and not too far away.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Duel Premiership winner Capes, on the other hand, does endorse Kevvie:

“Kevvie’s a great coach,” he said.

“He wears his heart on his sleeve and is so passionate. I love that in him.

“What he brings to our team ... he builds our confidence and when we were winning he kept us rolling.

“It’s been a pleasure this year under Kevvie and I’m looking forward to next year.”

One-time premiership winner. You can't call him a dual premiership winner when he wasn't part of the Sharks GF squad.

What he says there about Kevvie is pretty much what Gamble said.. About the type of person he is and that he's good at getting the team going etc. But coaches have also gotta be able to come up with a gameplan and so far there's two players not crediting Kevvie for that.

Reyno was meant to only assist with that, not come up with the whole damn thing.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
putting it in here since there isn't a dedicated thread for it; but Scott Sattler has refuted claims Broncos players were left upset following a spray from coach Kevin Walters. not sure if he has any official association with us, but he does talk like he has some sort of inside knowledge.

Scott Sattler said on the Fox Sports Podcast

“I’m led to believe it didn’t happen Hoops,” Sattler said on The Fox League Podcast.

“I’m led to believe that Kevvie leading into the Parramatta game did give them a spray earlier on in the week saying we need to toughen up, not from a physicality point of view, from the psychological aspects of the game.

“We’ve got to be tougher going into these games, we’re playing a side Parra who are just priming for the finals.

“We’ve got to meet them head on, when that didn’t happen we saw how animated he was in the dressing sheds after the game.

“Now I’ve got no doubt that he called them that they had a soft mentality and they need to improve if they’re going to play finals.

“When it came to players actually physically complaining and making complaints I’m led to believe it didn’t happen.

“I’d be very surprised if a player would complain about the way that a coach has spoken about the playing group.”

“Kevvie I would find it very hard to believe Kevvie would directly point people out individually and call them soft,” Satller said.

“I don’t think that’s the way he would operate as a coach and from what I’m lead to believe he doesn’t operate that way as a coach so more to come with that I think.

“They’ll probably need to show that in their performance this week, how they respond to Kevvie’s words.

Sattler said the Broncos were struggling to find answers as to why their season has nosedived.

“With the Brisbane Broncos everyone’s trying to find a reason why.

“Up to five and six weeks ago they were in the top four, we were talking about how they were potentially fairytale grand finalists the way they were going lead by Reynolds and Kurt Capewell.

“They’re just red lining, they’re running on fumes at the moment, you’ve got a lot of young players at the moment who’ve played a lot of rugby league this year some have been introduce to Origin, you’ve got Pat Carrigan who’s a notable emission and back this week.

“You’ll see a different side with Pat Carrigan who has become a real leader at that club, you’ve got Payne Haas whose playing with two damaged shoulders you’ve got Kurt Capewell, many people inside the Broncos don’t know how he’s taking the field each week let alone train during the week, Kotoni Staggs who is down on form.

“All these players I think are just running on fumes and they’ve just got to the part of the season where it’s just become too much.

“Round 25 you’ve got a do or die game in front of you, every player finds something so this has potential this weekend to be one of the game’s of the weekend with so much at stake.”

Sattler commends the leadership of Patty Carrigan

“Darcie I think it’s already started to have a positive effect where Kevvie has said to the playing group after the game which you’ve got to admit is warranted, absolutely warranted,” Sattler said.

“You can’t tip toe around a playing group on the back of the last two weeks with the Brisbane Broncos so you’ve got to be direct to the team as a whole.

“You’ve got Corey Oates and Pat Carrigan who’re all coming in saying it was justified, we were training soft, we played soft and now we’ve got to prove the critics wrong this week and we’ll do it as a group this week.

“It’s already started publicly in the group this week so we’ll find out we’ll know whether the Broncos are still a chance.

“We’re going to wait till the very last game of the regular season at Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday afternoon, the Tigers and Raiders, well the Raiders will already know that they’re in the finals and how they approach that game this Sunday afternoon.”

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I have watched the entire interview and I don't get that impression from Gamble at all, all he basically did was just say the truth without it being a truth too brutal for outside ears to hear.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
In all honesty I believe his coaching was/is before it’s time. All the technicalities he wanted to address was/is beyond those currently prepared to address such things.

I have no doubt David Fifita was talking about playing comfortable football in reference to not having to for go his notes and videos rather then just tackling and beating the **** beside him.

I agree, Anthony will make it one day and not too far away.
He was also too sexy for his shirt.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
I have watched the entire interview and I don't get that impression from Gamble at all, all he basically did was just say the truth without it being a truth too brutal for outside ears to hear.
Is it an old interview? I could e sworn we were talking the same thing eight weeks ago

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Lol looks like it has finally hit the media. Sounds like the assistants are more involved then what we assume here too.

Gamble is just basically saying "full credit to the boys" (none to the coach).

On a positive note, that means Kevvie is in no way responsible for the 113 - 18 drubbing we've had over the last fortnight.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Being a good bloke who doesn't know much about Xs & Os isn't ideal.

It just means you're heading into games hoping everyone is up for it. Not falling back to gameplan B or C when things aren't working.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Is it an old interview? I could e sworn we were talking the same thing eight weeks ago
The media only now picked it up because someone tweeted it(and out of context as well), it's from the start of the month.

It's been on youtube for awhile now and I posted it on here weeks ago, it doesn't take much for RL journos to take something like this and run with it, because they are parasites.

It's stuff like this that stops players from doing podcasts like this because the media hates it when information comes out that isn't leaked from them.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The media only now picked it up because someone tweeted it(and out of context as well), it's from the start of the month.

It's been on youtube for awhile now and I posted it on here weeks ago, it doesn't take much for RL journos to take something like this and run with it, because they are parasites.

It's stuff like this that stops players from doing podcasts like this because the media hates it when information comes out that isn't leaked from them.

The journos did the same as you did, they just picked up on it later. The clip was not out of context. The context was Tyson damning Kevvie with the faintest of praise (only stepping in when they start fucking around).

The entire interview was mostly them wittering on about American sport. No one is interested in that. The Broncos comments, however, are highly newsworthy, particularly in the context of the player in question, the freefall form of the team in his absence, his subsequent release from the club, and him being recalled to save the team's season in what might be his final game in a Broncos jersey.

If they were being really parasitic, they might go one further and speculate that he might've been pissed off to have been forced further back in the queue for the 6 jersey by the coach's son. A decision, that in retrospect, was yet another selection blunder by the coach.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
The journos did the same as you did, they just picked up on it later. The clip was not out of context. The context was Tyson damning Kevvie with the faintest of praise (only stepping in when they start fucking around).

The entire interview was mostly them wittering on about American sport. No one is interested in that. The Broncos comments, however, are highly newsworthy, particularly in the context of the player in question, the freefall form of the team in his absence, his subsequent release from the club, and him being recalled to save the team's season in what might be his final game in a Broncos jersey.

If they were being really parasitic, they might go one further and speculate that he might've been pissed off to have been forced further back in the queue for the 6 jersey by the coach's son. A decision, that in retrospect, was yet another selection blunder by the coach.

The context is it's with hindsight, this isn't even news if Broncos didn't drop off a cliff after that was aired and Tyson wasn't playing when that happened.

It's complete over reaction and finger pointing.

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Financeguy
  • The Boss
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Jedhead
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Stix
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.