THE COACH Kevin Walters

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I have so many thoughts but I can't make them coherently.

This has been a total clusterfuck this last half of the season. Something has gone rotten. Maybe it is a wayward player group. Maybe it is Kev's selections. Maybe it is the assistant coaches.

From the outside looking in, it appears that Kev's selections have been appalling and all over the shop, along with the lack of clear bench game plan and attacking game plan.

Maybe it's a mixture of injuries to ARey and Capes, Origin fatigue, over confidence and inept coaching as well.

----
This is where I thought Kevin Walters would take us as coach, at the midway to the point I was pleasantly surprised and ready to eat my words, only to be bitterly disappointed and back where I thought we were.

SOS Flanagan.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
If I were in Donuts shoes, he has until Round 10 next season. That's the hard deadline. If the side is not looking consistently solid by that point, he's getting the tap. The Walker brothers can have the remainder of the season to just run riot and see what they can conjure while the club pursue the best coach available.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
The Kevin Walters honeymoon period is definitely over and with it has gone the commitment and effort from the players, I think its pretty clear he has lost their respect, they are not playing for him anymore otherwise they would have stood up for him and the club tonight.

I think Kevvie will survive to see next year but his assistants won't.

Nerd

Nerd

QCup Player
Sep 27, 2020
Kev is a very inexperienced NRL coach and it shows but hopefully he has learnt something from the last 2 years. His selections and use of the bench are still poor. I don't understand why he would select Kennedy and then sit him on the bench till 8 minutes to go for multiple games. Either he's good enough to play 15-30 minutes or he isn't in the team.

The big worry for me is that if Kev stays so does his son. Billy Walters is barely first grade standard and should only be considered on a minimum contract as injury cover.

Chopping and changing coaches isn't good as it signals another rebuild and takes the players the best part of a season to adjust to the new coach. Saying that does DD start making quiet enquires as to whether Flanagan is interested and or available?

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
“We will get back into it next year”
Kevin’s parting words for the 2022 season.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Saying that does DD start making quiet enquires as to whether Flanagan is interested and or available?

Him and Madge, Hasler too if Manly make him a scapegoat, at the very least. I'm leaning towards Madge personally because he is exactly the sort of no bullshit "I will not tolerate your soft **** rubbish" coach that this group needs.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Kevin is the 1st Broncos coach to have the team missing the finals twice in a row. The end to the season has been diabolical.
Even Seibold made the finals with us in his first year…

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
We should have got Ivan when we had the chance.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
If I were in Donuts shoes, he has until Round 10 next season. That's the hard deadline. If the side is not looking consistently solid by that point, he's getting the tap. The Walker brothers can have the remainder of the season to just run riot and see what they can conjure while the club pursue the best coach available.
Problem with that is how consistent we were looking this year. Top 4 and 7 in a row or whatever and everything seemed rosy.

When it got tough, this squad and the coach had NFI what to do. No plan and no ability to turn it around, whatsoever.

How does an off-season and a few rounds next year, fix that?

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
The back end of the season is where it has all gone wrong this season. First 10wks will more then likely good good for Kev and then the fatigue will hit again rds 18-22.
If they’re going to part ways it’d be better to allow a new coach the entire preseason.
Can’t see it happening.
No doubt 2023 will be similar to 2022.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I was very much into the idea of Flanagan but I've talked to a mate who knows shit and let's just say I no longer want him as coach.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
If he does survive, it's on Ikin and Donuts. If you don't make changes, don't expect anything different.

Kevvie at his absolute best could be a passable rep coach, he is all spirit and passion but unfortunately much like his son, has **** all ability.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
So we waste another year?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Assistant coaches need to go.

2 years under Kev and these guys and I have seen minor to no improvements to our defensive structure. The club needs to throw its weight around and get the best possible defensive coach we can.

An emotional coach only goes so far before being yelled at by a guy who doesn’t have the tools to help you improve becomes extremely demoralising.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Lozza
  • Bucking Beads
  • davidp
  • LGH
  • teampjta
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Cavalo
  • Big Del
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.