THE COACH Kevin Walters

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Had some more time to think and consider now the emotion of such a disappointing end to the season has cleared...

The turnaround plan post the dire Seibold fiasco probably looked like this:

2021: Avoid wooden spoon, steady the ship, clean house
2022: Top 8
2023: Top 4

Kevvie is 1/2 (close to 2/2) so far, if he can secure a top 4 berth next year then I would think he had earned the right to keep his job. He should be given that opportunity - if only for the stability of the club and because there are no other obviously better replacements available (Or the potential replacements have serious concerns).

HOWEVER, management need to be able to see that Kevvie is lacking key skills in critical areas and surround him with the assistants and support staff he needs to succeed. Coaching isn't a simple one man job anymore, it takes a host of coaches, assistants and experts to create consistent success.

We need to be aggressively hunting (and using our resources as the biggest club) to secure top notch assistants and a backup cast that can aid the coach (whether that is Kevvie or someone else), because no coach available now (or for the forseeable future) can do it alone.

I would give Kevvie one more year with the tools to succeed and if he can make the top 4 then we are back on track... if not, then it will be time to move on, but we will at least already have a solid cohort of assistants to support the new coach from the get go.

An interesting point to note ... Kevvie was brought in before both Ikin and DD - he may not be their coach of choice and I think his future may well depend on how these 2 feel about him.
I pretty much completely agree (unless a great coach somehow becomes available). My only concern though is even with assistant coaches Kev will still make fried selections and bench rotation decisions.

I thought maybe Kev should have to run his weekly team list by a committee and although he gets to choose the team, he has to justify the reasoning before it is approved. But once a coach isn’t picking the team than what is even the point.

If we are coddling Kev to that extent and relying heavily on assistant coaches than why not give a young fella with potential a chance like Slater, KHunt, or Hodgo. Slater especially.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
As mentioned by others, i think James graham would be an asset to our club. He may not need to be in the position of defensive coach either. Even if he was the defensive coach's sidekick he'd bring so much relatable advice and common sense to the playing group. He'd also have no qualms about telling players when to pull their heads in, or in boosting confidence when required.

This is only under the proviso he does a six week crash course in Aussie as his Scouse accent can be hard to understand a times 😃

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Now we're getting the change in attitude from Ikin, the head of the football department.

Before the season started, anything less than finals was a failure. Now they're trying to sugar coat the 6 more wins we had this season.

That's concerning.
no it's just taking the positive approach and building on it.
why blow things and start again when the facts are we were better , now it's a matter of identifying the areas that need fixing.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
why blow things and start again when the facts are we were better , now it's a matter of identifying the areas that need fixing.
100% and that's why you have assistant coaches,
somebody has to get blamed.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
As mentioned by others, i think James graham would be an asset to our club. He may not need to be in the position of defensive coach either. Even if he was the defensive coach's sidekick he'd bring so much relatable advice and common sense to the playing group. He'd also have no qualms about telling players when to pull their heads in, or in boosting confidence when required.

This is only under the proviso he does a six week crash course in Aussie as his Scouse accent can be hard to understand a times 😃

He could teach them some aggression too !
Like how to bite fullbacks on the ear maybe ?

Canterbury-Bankstown[edit]​

He played 26 games in his début NRL season and was part of the Bulldogs team which lost the Grand Final to Melbourne Storm. However he was at the centre of the match's most controversial incident when he appeared to bite the left ear of Storm fullback Billy Slater. Graham denied the charge but despite inconclusive video footage[26] was widely condemned and subsequently suspended for 12 matches by the NRL Judiciary in a hearing lasting ten minutes.[27][28]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Graham_(rugby_league)

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Now we're getting the change in attitude from Ikin, the head of the football department.

Before the season started, anything less than finals was a failure. Now they're trying to sugar coat the 6 more wins we had this season.

That's concerning.
I don't see it that way, in fact I'm really impressed with what Ikin is saying, and doing.
He has said he thinks Kev is the man to lead us forward given the improvements made, but despite that the season was not good enough which is evidenced by the forensic review, and nobody is safe.
I like it

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
He’ll survive to coach coach next year I’m sure. Come ‘24 I think we’ll have a new coach however.

Any of the top tier coaches namely (Bellamy) wouldn’t have done much better with this squad. Taking into account the glaring deficiencies in key positions of hooker & fullback as well as a meek bench rotation and ninth seems unpalatably reasonable.

I don’t think it’s plausible to think that a top tier coach would have been able to get more out of players like Walters, Turpin, Nui & TMM from a skills point of view.

The roster needs work and we need some more personnel changes. I don’t imagine Kev and his staff are the right people to do that job so logically another 6th-10th finish on the cards next year with a look to the ‘24 season for some greater expectations under a new coach and different roster.

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
He’ll survive to coach coach next year I’m sure. Come ‘24 I think we’ll have a new coach however.

Any of the top tier coaches namely (Bellamy) wouldn’t have done much better with this squad. Taking into account the glaring deficiencies in key positions of hooker & fullback as well as a meek bench rotation and ninth seems unpalatably reasonable.

I don’t think it’s plausible to think that a top tier coach would have been able to get more out of players like Walters, Turpin, Nui & TMM from a skills point of view.

The roster needs work and we need some more personnel changes. I don’t imagine Kev and his staff are the right people to do that job so logically another 6th-10th finish on the cards next year with a look to the ‘24 season for some greater expectations under a new coach and different roster.
Oh Joy

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

It's sugarcoating what was once considered a failure by the same people sugarcoating it.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
It's sugarcoating what was once considered a failure by the same people sugarcoating it.

Ikin has to be diplomatic. He's not going to come out and say 'yeah, Kevvie is in the shit now' or anything so obvious. That just creates headlines, which in turn will have a negative impact around the club in terms of culture and attitude.

Keep it all in-house. Give the media nothing.

S

Sanjit Joseph

NYC Player
Oct 21, 2017
There were rumours that when the Broncos were searching for a new coach, they would only consider Kevvie if we got someone like Bellamy in a mentoring style role.

Maybe there was something to that.

Craig reveals he will be coming to an end, could Donaghy try and work his magic to bring Bellamy here

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Screenshot 20220908 101419

If we kicked every goal this season we make the 8..

Unread

Active Now

• Howie
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • winslow_wong
  • Astro
  • Strop
  • bazza
  • eggstar10
  • bert_lifts
  • Ejbroncos
  • Mr Fourex
  • sooticus
  • Tmac
  • BroncosAlways
  • rj9
  • Wolfie
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.