THE COACH Kevin Walters

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
In reality it seems KW isn’t the best coach and this squad (and spine) certainly aren’t top tier. so… kind of finished where you might expect them to finish.
Agree, we finished around where we should have...just the dramatic fall made it feel much worse than it was.

Walters deserves 2023 for another crack but he needs to start addressing weaknesses in the squad even if it is targets for 2024 once Nov 1 hits.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
In reality it seems KW isn’t the best coach and this squad (and spine) certainly aren’t top tier. so… kind of finished where you might expect them to finish.
Which is exactly why I tipped them to finish 10th so I wasn't far off. They had us fooled for a long time there as we thought they were much stronger than they actually were. The players thought so too. In the end, they displayed to the RL world how much work still needs to be done at Fulcher Rd.

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
Is Flanagan open to coaching again I think he would be a great option for us even as a assistant coach.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Is Flanagan open to coaching again I think he would be a great option for us even as a assistant coach.
He’s not moving interstate to do the same job he’s doing in Sydney

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016

Hes looking for the dragons job, if their board can decide on what to do.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
There’s a reason Flanagan hasn’t been signed by anyone yet. Applied for plenty of jobs and nobody wants him.

I dare say he’s actually as stupid as he sounds on commentary, or most teams are against his son being their first marquee signings. Maybe it’s the complete lack of accountability for the peptides? Maybe the salary cap cheating? Either way, the Broncos should absolutely steer clear of Flanagan.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
There’s a reason Flanagan hasn’t been signed by anyone yet. Applied for plenty of jobs and nobody wants him.

I dare say he’s actually as stupid as he sounds on commentary, or most teams are against his son being their first marquee signings. Maybe it’s the complete lack of accountability for the peptides? Maybe the salary cap cheating? Either way, the Broncos should absolutely steer clear of Flanagan.

He has always come across as the kinda guy who would whinge the same way any of us whinge when something happens against the Broncos and that's great and everything but it's not really a good way to coach your team.

For example, if we got smashed in the middle of the field and could barely give our halves time to get away a decent kick, let's say something happened late in the game which put the result to bed, he would probably focus on the bad call or something rather than how shit our forwards were. Not sure that's the kind of coach I want. I don't want the coach to be an extension of the highly emotional fans on BroncosHQ.

Besides, his son would probably end up here.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
He has always come across as the kinda guy who would whinge the same way any of us whinge when something happens against the Broncos and that's great and everything but it's not really a good way to coach your team.

For example, if we got smashed in the middle of the field and could barely give our halves time to get away a decent kick, let's say something happened late in the game which put the result to bed, he would probably focus on the bad call or something rather than how shit our forwards were. Not sure that's the kind of coach I want. I don't want the coach to be an extension of the highly emotional fans on BroncosHQ.

Besides, his son would probably end up here.
7. Flannigan
6. Walters

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Lodge on his fallout with Kevvie.

“Me and ‘Kevvie’ didn’t know each other and I knew he couldn’t look past what I had done and didn’t think I belonged at his club in his culture,” Lodge says.

“That’s why I admire guys like Wayne (Bennett) and Trent (Robinson). They were prepared to give me a chance.

“I’ll always appreciate what the Broncos and Redcliffe did for me. I don’t think many other coaches could have endured the backlash so I’ll always be thankful to Wayne and Peter Nolan (former Broncos football boss) was like a dad to me.

“I worked so hard for those first couple of years in the NRL. I basically played for free (to fund compensation for his American victims) and I finally earned a five-year deal.

“I loved the Broncos. I felt I owed them and was prepared to play my whole career there.”

Then talks about the old boys assessment of him and Kevvie's hot & cold treatment of him.

“The old boys of Brisbane are very publicly opinionated more than any other club.

“I guess they’re proud, and a lot never took to me being signed, let alone being asked to captain the club,” Lodge said.

“They were all Kevvie’s mates and I knew if he got the job I was gone, even if I was playing well. I knew it wasn’t footy related.

“Kevvie got the job and he rang my agent within the first day to move me on and said he would pay whatever it takes.

“In the end, I sat down with Kevvie at least five times (to discuss his future).

“Each time he changed his mind, and that repeated through the pre-season and premiership games, right up until the day I signed my papers to leave.

“My head was just gone. It was a tough day leaving the Broncos, but I knew my time there was up. It’s a brutal game and when your heart’s not in it playing for your coach, you are as good as retired.

“I wish I didn’t let my Broncos teammates see how upset I was about being told to move on because you end up becoming a negative energy. I’ve got some great mates there and we keep it touch.

“It ruined the reputation I had of putting my body on the line playing and training hard. And always valuing the team first. I wish I could have kept that internal and not let my teammates see my emotion.

“But I’ll always have a soft spot for the Broncos and hope they get success … unless I’m playing against them.”

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020

Let me just quote some of this, but change a name, and remove a sentence.

There’s a reason Walters hasn’t been signed by anyone yet. Applied for plenty of jobs and nobody wants him.
I dare say he’s actually as stupid as he sounds on commentary, or most teams are against his son being their first marquee signings. Either way, the Broncos should absolutely steer clear of Walters.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
there's been at least 4 articles now about Lodge and how well he's going with the Rooster and his fallout with us ... they barely mention his fallout with the Warriors

What do you mean? It was talked about plenty when it happened. There were a number of articles talking about what happened and speculation on what caused it etc.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Let me just quote some of this, but change a name, and remove a sentence.

There’s a reason Walters hasn’t been signed by anyone yet. Applied for plenty of jobs and nobody wants him.
I dare say he’s actually as stupid as he sounds on commentary, or most teams are against his son being their first marquee signings. Either way, the Broncos should absolutely steer clear of Walters.
Ooh talk about the cap cheating and peptide scandal Walters created next please

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • BRC088
  • bazza
  • Morkel
  • leon.bott
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Yeahdawg
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.