THE COACH Kevin Walters

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
This question has now been answered ... Kevvie will be our coach next season after surviving the review.

some info from Badel's article
  • The last Broncos team to miss the finals after winning 13 games was Wayne Bennett’s 1991 squad 31 years ago, convincing club powerbrokers Kevvie is capable of breaking our 16-year title drought.
  • It is understood Walters delivered an address on behalf of Brisbane’s football department last Friday.
  • Broncos boss Donaghy was joined in the meetings by board member Vicki Wilson, the 104-Test Australian netball legend who was a proven winner during his illustrious sporting career.
  • Kevvie adds Lee Briers to his assistants Cartwright Matterson and Ballin
  • Kevvie is uner pressure to enact change, and there is speculation that Matterson is under review. Kevvie has until the pre-season starts in November to finalise the composition of his footy department.

Karl Morris says:

“We are going to back Kevin,” Morris said.

“If you look at things historically, 13 wins would have made the finals most seasons over the past 10 years.

“We are very disappointed at how the season finished, we can’t sugarcoat that, and it’s hard to rationalise (Brisbane’s poor final month) when you look at the way the team played in the middle of the season.

“There has been some real soul-searching when you lose a few games by 50 points into what went wrong.

“The CEO (Donaghy) has done a top-to-bottom analysis and review and we have some time now to make some decisions over the next few weeks.

“But we have no issues with Kevvie. We always thought it was going to take numerous years to get us back to where we need to be and we look forward to Kevvie having another crack at it next year.”

Ben Ikin says:

“We got closer to a premiership this year,” Ikin said.

“We didn’t finish where we wanted to finish, but we got closer to a premiership and the responsibility for everybody in this off-season is to build a plan to get closer once again.

“We have to keep closing the gap until we get ourselves into contender status and once you start contending, like the Storm and Roosters, there is no reason why it should ever stop.

“With Kevvie, the only thing I can judge is did he win more games this year than last year and the answer is yes.”

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
This question has now been answered ... Kevvie will be our coach next season after surviving the review.

some info from Badel's article
  • The last Broncos team to miss the finals after winning 13 games was Wayne Bennett’s 1991 squad 31 years ago, convincing club powerbrokers Kevvie is capable of breaking our 16-year title drought.
  • It is understood Walters delivered an address on behalf of Brisbane’s football department last Friday.
  • Broncos boss Donaghy was joined in the meetings by board member Vicki Wilson, the 104-Test Australian netball legend who was a proven winner during his illustrious sporting career.
  • Kevvie adds Lee Briers to his assistants Cartwright Matterson and Ballin
  • Kevvie is uner pressure to enact change, and there is speculation that Matterson is under review. Kevvie has until the pre-season starts in November to finalise the composition of his footy department.

Karl Morris says:

“We are going to back Kevin,” Morris said.

“If you look at things historically, 13 wins would have made the finals most seasons over the past 10 years.

“We are very disappointed at how the season finished, we can’t sugarcoat that, and it’s hard to rationalise (Brisbane’s poor final month) when you look at the way the team played in the middle of the season.

“There has been some real soul-searching when you lose a few games by 50 points into what went wrong.

“The CEO (Donaghy) has done a top-to-bottom analysis and review and we have some time now to make some decisions over the next few weeks.

“But we have no issues with Kevvie. We always thought it was going to take numerous years to get us back to where we need to be and we look forward to Kevvie having another crack at it next year.”

Ben Ikin says:

“We got closer to a premiership this year,” Ikin said.

“We didn’t finish where we wanted to finish, but we got closer to a premiership and the responsibility for everybody in this off-season is to build a plan to get closer once again.

“We have to keep closing the gap until we get ourselves into contender status and once you start contending, like the Storm and Roosters, there is no reason why it should ever stop.

“With Kevvie, the only thing I can judge is did he win more games this year than last year and the answer is yes.”
adding Briers is pretty exciting and Matterson maybe getting flicked for presumably a defensive mind would be great. Maybe even Dessie!

The last line from Ikin is pretty dumb though, that’s definitely not all you can judge a coach on

L

Locky24

QCup Player
May 17, 2009
So another year full of dumb ass team selections… 🤦‍♂️ Will be sacked next season

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Well then, 14 wins next year or he gets sacked. That'd be close to top 4 in most seasons.

I'm okay with him getting another year. There's no standout replacements anyway, so whatever, but if we start the season by getting flogged every week or two, I don't think he'll last past round 10 and that'll be another wasted year.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
adding Briers is pretty exciting and Matterson maybe getting flicked for presumably a defensive mind would be great. Maybe even Dessie!

The last line from Ikin is pretty dumb though, that’s definitely not all you can judge a coach on
not if you read between the lines it isn't , because results in the end is what's required .

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
The CEO (Donaghy) has done a top-to-bottom analysis and review and we have some time now to make some decisions over the next few weeks.
Karl Morris talking about having time to make some decisions. Kevin remaining as coach not being one as that decision has already been made, he always thought it was going to take numerous years to get back to where we need to be so who gives a ****.
So what decisions is he talking about?
How to make more money from our currently suffering football club for News Corpse no doubt. How to continue appeasing the shareholders while not winning football games perhaps.
Wish Karl and News would **** off.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
**** yeah, then we can bring in the next boom rookie coach on a multi-million dollar deal only to have to pay him out so we can rinse and repeat, you really do have all the answers.
I’m confused by this post. So you’re agreeing that Kev is just a continuation of inexperienced coaches that will inevitably get churned out because they aren’t capable?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
**** yeah, then we can bring in the next boom rookie coach on a multi-million dollar deal only to have to pay him out so we can rinse and repeat, you really do have all the answers.

Or you get say Flanagan who has a premiership and plenty of finals footy on his resume 🤷‍♂️

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Or you get say Flanagan who has a premiership and plenty of finals footy on his resume 🤷‍♂️
Except the weak minded playing group don't bother listening to him because he's a NSW'men with the charisma of a door knob

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I like it. I could see reasons for and against keeping him on but I do feel the reasons for do have more weight.

For:
- He improved the side this year (the issue is the last month of course and this is the question mark but before that, every single player had improved in the squad except Turps)
- In any other year, we would have played finals with our record this year
- This appeases the old boys because we have backed him now for three seasons (of course this won't happen if we dead in the water by round 10 next year)
- It shows the players that they are no longer the whip hand here, if they don't like Kevvie, they can leave and I suspect this is needed still given how awful we were as a club to finish out the season
- Kevvie is not on a lot of money
- Kevvie gets a chance to show the end of the season is the anomaly and not the middle of the season
- This provides stability in the club
- The assistants are clearly under pressure and this is good!

Against:
- Did he lose the dressing room? Only time will answer this but it is clear that the important players are behind Kevvie in Reynolds, Capewell, Carrigan, Oates and Billy (see what I did there?)
- Why was he not able to arrest the fall off a cliff?
- The bench usage regressed badly in the backend of the year
- Some of the team selections were atrocious and hopefully, if he keeps this rubbish up, this will likely be signing his own death warrant
- He continued to select clearly busted players and refused to use some of the younger guys who, while injured at points, were showing real signs in TC and Peeks.
- Don't get me started on the Paix non-selection, I'm still livid about this and this, with the related head scratching team selections, is what still has alarm bells in my head
- Paix is clearly currently the best hooker at the club, it isn't even close, so why the heck was Turpin a lock in the back end of the year?

Active Now

• Evander
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • GCBRONCO
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Culhwch
  • Pablo
  • BroncosAlways
  • bazza
  • Strop
  • broncs30
  • Midean
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Matheos
  • Fatboy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Santa
  • Xzei
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.