THE COACH Kevin Walters

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
When is the perennially injured Copley going to be not injured again supposedly? It is pretty funny we swapped one injury magnet centre for another in the off season.
Exactly....thats why we fucked him off in the first place. Nothing against Dale, but he should probably hang up his boots.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
The media goes on about Penrith winning 22 of their last 23 or whatever it is, they'll win another half dozen games before they get beaten too, they've got a pretty nice draw with some soft games between the hard ones

Meanwhile we've taken on Parra, Melbourne, Souths, Gold Coast.. Penrith tomorrow night, followed by Parramatta and the Titans again

It's a ridiculous draw
Has been for years.......I'm not why it changed from the standard, play everyone once.......and them play them again.....then finals time. I believe its something to do with the number of teams....but fucken hell....there has to be a better way.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Whilst i dont think he will succeed here and i dont particularly rate him as a coach, i hope he can prove me wrong because the bloke wears his heart on his sleeve and is so likeable.

In regards to judging him. i think after 10 or 11 games i'd expect to see some kind of improvement. As long as we are slowly getting better, even if we lose games then i think he stays. The key thing for me is just showing his coaching is improving us. Better game plan, better structures, better set plays and an improved defence. Thats got be be a minimum expectation.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
“We are Round 5 of 25 so we are a quarter of the way. If you look at a cake there is still three quarters of the cake to eat, so that’s what excites me.” -Kev

Well he doesn’t know maths so it’s a bit of a concern... 5/25 is a fifth. Yikers.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Whilst i dont think he will succeed here and i dont particularly rate him as a coach, i hope he can prove me wrong because the bloke wears his heart on his sleeve and is so likeable.

In regards to judging him. i think after 10 or 11 games i'd expect to see some kind of improvement. As long as we are slowly getting better, even if we lose games then i think he stays. The key thing for me is just showing his coaching is improving us. Better game plan, better structures, better set plays and an improved defence. Thats got be be a minimum expectation.
its bizzare you know because during the trials and against parra it actually looked like we finally had a game plan for the first time in months.
we were actually running lines and structures.

then all of a sudden parra go on rampage and everything got thrown out the window by the players.

I seriously think that no coach can get this group of players to perform. there is to many dumb lazy footballers in the side As soon as something goes against them they give up and just wait for someone else to do the work.

I'm willing to give kevie at least 2 years before really rating him. he needs to bring in the players that he wants because this group seems to be unable to stick to any game plan what so ever.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
“We are Round 5 of 25 so we are a quarter of the way. If you look at a cake there is still three quarters of the cake to eat, so that’s what excites me.” -Kev

Well he doesn’t know maths so it’s a bit of a concern... 5/25 is a fifth. Yikers.
Milf right now

6C7B51B5 E4B4 4EB8 B65C 0B6473E909E0

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Just rember, Stuart had his lean years, Robinson had a lean year, Arthur had a couple of lean years, Storm 13-15 had leaner years. We have to back the coach with good recruitment and smart contracts. If they dont happen, the coach cant turn turkeys into chickens.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Far better coaching display from Kev this week.

He made some tough but necessary calls. Niu and Riki’s demotions are great as their defence hasn’t been up to scratch and it’s good to make these young guys earn the spots they were given far too easily.

Milf needed to go and finally a coach was willing to do it.

I’m still not convinced Turpin should play 80 or that Carrigan is a lock but with the players selected, his bench rotation was basically perfect. Gave everyone a decent rest while minimising the amount of time there were no starters on the paddock.

He had a very simple but effective game plan that was built around getting the most out of his teams limited abilities, and it almost worked - if not for a few brain snaps and poor executions. Teaching this team any form of football literacy will take more than a few rounds so you can’t blame Kev for that (unless it was Kev’s idea to try and force those bad 2 point field goal attempts).

The set play with Bully was pure genius too. Teams would expect that if it was a Tedesco or Paps lurking in that position but no one expects that play from a bench forward. Very clever.

We’ll see how things unfold moving forward but I think Kev got a lot right this week. The first bit of impressive coaching since the first half round 1.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
There was a bit of Wayne Bennett about him last night in the press conference, he would have been chuffed with that performance, I don't care what he told the media.. but as Wayne would do.. "I was a bit disappointed actually"

The same things Wayne was saying when his team kept Canterbury to nil and scored 38 themselves

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Anyone still keen on Sacking Kev? Have we calmed down yet?
I never wanted to sack him. I was (imo) correctly critiquing some concerning coaching decisions.

He was good this week and i gave him wraps. i hope it continues.

i dont feel silly for pointing out when someone is performing poorly just because they improve. Croft was rightfully called poor for a whole season but he had a good game last night, and hopefully can build on it.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
The gulf between what was dished up at best for the last two seasons shows a lot. Wasnt having a dig, being jovial.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The gulf between what was dished up at best for the last two seasons shows a lot. Wasnt having a dig, being jovial.
I didn’t mean to sound defensive. Kev has just yet to show he was an NRL coach and I think I explained pretty well why I felt that way. All I wanted was a glimpse that he knew what he was doing and this week he showed it, definitely. If he keeps coaching the way he did this week, things wills definitely improve. We’ll see how the next few weeks go but yes, definitely the first sign of life from Kev’s coaching career and plenty to be happy about. This was a game that the players lost and not the coach (the other games were a mix of both).

It’s a shame that next week isn’t an easier game because a win after that performance would have the team buzzing. The real challenge is how they react to another loss if the Eels do as is expected against us.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
After a quarter of a season I feel like you can start to look at warning signs for even a rookie coach.
My question is, how have the Broncos not even attempted to fix their attack, especially in the opposition half? I know some things can take a while to get going, but they haven't looked close to even starting to improve it, its the same clueless bash and barge. Is it on the coach or is it the side that is completely incapable of to thinking even 3 seconds ahead?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
After a quarter of a season I feel like you can start to look at warning signs for even a rookie coach.
My question is, how have the Broncos not even attempted to fix their attack, especially in the opposition half? I know some things can take a while to get going, but they haven't looked close to even starting to improve it, its the same clueless bash and barge. Is it on the coach or is it the side that is completely incapable of to thinking even 3 seconds ahead?

I actually think Kev is improving the team. The squad is just football illiterate. Some game plans are starting to show but the spine can’t execute it. A lot of my big concerns about Kev have improved. The team is just terrible.

Donald Garner

Donald Garner

NRL Player
Feb 5, 2017
I actually think Kev is improving the team. The squad is just football illiterate. Some game plans are starting to show but the spine can’t execute it. A lot of my big concerns about Kev have improved. The team is just terrible.

Mate he has two idiots playing in the halves. Milford will be back soon.
The best we have looked this season was off the back of Mikford in the first half round 1

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Mate he has two idiots playing in the halves. Milford will be back soon.
The best we have looked this season was off the back of Mikford in the first half round 1

What about from the second half of round one up until he was dropped, though?

Active Now

• Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • Waynesaurus
  • BRC088
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.