THE COACH Kevin Walters

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I'm going to defend the guy again here because some of this talk is really disappointing to me. Give the guy a chance.

Some of you are sinking the boot in on the back of a defeat to NZ in NZ in the middle of origin without 5 of our best players. Now because memories can be very short, some of you guys might not be aware of this but even the great Wayne Bennett with star-studded sides lost to NZ in such circumstances from time to time.

Some of you are saying there is no improvement well I am sorry but there was today. The first half was abysmal but the second half was much more respectable despite losing two forwards from an already massive depleted forward pack. So it seems to me whatever he said at half time worked to an extent. It isn't any surprise we ran out of puff at the end but also, this might come as a real shock, Kevvie is not a miracle worker. I challenge any coach with that side out there today to do much better.

Kevvie rightly said in the press conference the club is currently in the middle of an injury crisis and they are, look at the long term injuries we've had at various times this year:
- Arthars, Walsh, Sailor, Mariner, Haas, Baker, Taupau, Pereira, Te Kura, Hunt, Oates, Piakura, Riki, Reynolds, Hoeter (and more) and short term ones to Cobbo, Mam, Madden, Walters, Staggs, Riki

I challenge any coach to be doing well with this much disruption on the back of losing several players at the end of last season, a short preseason and a huge interval trip at the start of the year and another one just a couple of days after origin.

These are not excuses, they are facts and yet despite all of this, as it stands right now, the Broncos are STILL in the top 8. All Kevvie can do is try and keep us afloat until the cavalry returns and he is pretty much doing that. He isn't the one out there dropping balls left, right and centre and again, looking at the injuries listed above, who can he even call on to replace guys who need replacing? There is no one there to replace them.
Exactly right.

I literally saw a fan blame kevy for ezra mam running the ball on the 5th tackle. Wtf does any reasonable, sane person with an IQ above that of a paperclip expect him to do?

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Would've respected Kev more had he hooked Sailor, put Kara at Wing, Arthars to Centre and Cobloaf at the back once the first half ran away.

Would have respected Kev more, had he picked the Origin players when our season is on the line.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Comments saying that the secind half of the season will be all good are dumb from him.

I'm sick of him always being so fucking positive. It's fake bullshit. He needs to come out and start laying it on these absolute fucking spuds he calls football players.

How has Baker not absolutely fucking copped it from his coach? How is it that no matter how useless you play, Kebin will praise or be positive.

I want him to come out in the media and start ripping in. The dimwitted decisions in the field are clearly not going punished, as the same dumb shit happens week in week out.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
We would have only needed 20 minutes out of them. Capewell managed to travel to NZ admitted he didn't play many mins during origin, about the same as our origin players had they backed up. Fletcher Baker was carrying a knee injury which got worse and he couldn't carry on, dumb decision to pick him. Pick your strongest team against the weaker team out of Penrith and Warriors and you probs win one. Instead we lose 2.
My thoughts, this was a winnable game, could have got 2 points. Instead we’ll play our stars against Penrith and most likely lose anyway. If I was gonna rest them against anyone it would’ve been the panthers.

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Comments saying that the secind half of the season will be all good are dumb from him.

I'm sick of him always being so fucking positive. It's fake bullshit. He needs to come out and start laying it on these absolute fucking spuds he calls football players.

How has Baker not absolutely fucking copped it from his coach? How is it that no matter how useless you play, Kebin will praise or be positive.

I want him to come out in the media and start ripping in. The dimwitted decisions in the field are clearly not going punished, as the same dumb shit happens week in week out.
Bro there's no one to replace them. Everyone's injured.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
There is literally no team we could beat the way we've been playing the last month. Before you reach for the injury/Origin excuse, we lost to the Titans with Walsh, Carrigan, Riki and Haas.

We have been disjointed and incompetent all season, getting away with a few flukey wins mostly on the back of breaks in open play from Walsh, Cobbo, Mam and Mariner. We haven't been convincing in the red zone, including in obvious set plays. Not that we spend much time in the opposition's half. We drop the ball nearly every set. That's normally the result of a bad pass, which is generally a sign of bad communication and a failure in basic training drills.

Mariner is copping it today for fumbling. He's currently the competition top try scorer and crossed the line for us twice, a weapon who any club would sign in a heartbeart. His most notable "fumble" was not catching a Staggs ball a metre behind his back. And this has been happening all season. All over the field. In almost every case the recipient has copped the blame.

Regardless of last night's second string lineup, this is now a clear coaching failure.

Not one player has improved this season. Some have gone backwards. We have persisted with duds. And hired poorly.

Kevvie still has time to turn this around, and may end the season with accolades. More likely, there will be blood at the end of the season. If there are any coaches left who haven't already fucked off.

Kevvie's job is safe, but no one else's is. Not because he's a great bloke or great coach. But because we need the continuity.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Even when we were winning games early on, it was hard to ignore the fact that we were often losing on the team stats sheet even to sides like the Tigers. It isn't viable long-term and it's starting to catch up to us.

The worry would be if Kev is OK with this style of play. I hope this isn't what "Broncos Footy" is, because again losing the basics and 1%ers and relying on winning off some magic won't work for too long. But maybe he isn't satisfied and the players are just screwing up the game plan with basic errors. There is a real lack of smarts in the side without Reynolds.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

That’s not gonna happen publicly. Roasting his players to the media won’t help.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Being positive about the useless ***** will only enable it. He needs to start saying that this shit is not good enough.
He probably is in the right circumstances behind closed doors. I agree with Beadsy, you don't flay them at a press conference. If you criticise you say we all have to do better, coaching staff included.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
He probably is in the right circumstances behind closed doors. I agree with Beadsy, you don't flay them at a press conference. If you criticise you say we all have to do better, coaching staff included.

There's nothing wrong with owning up to the media and fans that "Yep, our forwards really lets us down today" or "A lot of dropped ball by our backs, that's not good enough and we will be going over that further"

Something. Anything except his BS positivity when shit is broken.

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
I know any issues with the Broncos were evident prior to .. but wondering if Adam and Payne's public support of Sualii's dog shot on Reece has contributed to some kind of split, or some level of resentment in the playing group.

As a fan I was totally pissed off when I read of their support for Sualii'i. Can only imagine how the rest of the playing group felt. I could absolutely understand if there is any lingering resentment which is having a flow on effect inside the playing group.

Just trying to be really honest here, but I have to admit I lost a bit of respect for our two players over this. Again, being honest if I was in that playing group not sure that I could look at Adam and Payne the same way as I would have done prior to the incident.

And also, in respect to Payne .. a lot of the time when I'm watching him I've noticed that when a tackle he is involved in is almost complete, he kind of takes on a wrestling stance but doesn't finish it off with any aggression. It looks to me like he's just holding a wrestling pose .. like an instructor would do in a practise session. Payne needs to change this aspect of his game.

We absolutely need more aggression all round in our team. Without it nothing is going to change. 😑

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I know any issues with the Broncos were evident prior to .. but wondering if Adam and Payne's public support of Sualii's dog shot on Reece has contributed to some kind of split, or some level of resentment in the playing group.

As a fan I was totally pissed off when I read of their support for Sualii'i. Can only imagine how the rest of the playing group felt. I could absolutely understand if there is any lingering resentment which is having a flow on effect inside the playing group.

Just trying to be really honest here, but I have to admit I lost a bit of respect for our two players over this. Again, being honest if I was in that playing group not sure that I could look at Adam and Payne the same way as I would have done prior to the incident.

And also, in respect to Payne .. a lot of the time when I'm watching him I've noticed that when a tackle he is involved in is almost complete, he kind of takes on a wrestling stance but doesn't finish it off with any aggression. It looks to me like he's just holding a wrestling pose .. like an instructor would do in a practise session. Payne needs to change this aspect of his game.

We absolutely need more aggression all round in our team. Without it nothing is going to change. 😑

I think you're reading too much into it.

They would have been in support of his attitude that he got it wrong and will make up for letting him teammates down, not supporting the bit where he knocked Walsh out. That would be ridiculous.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Being positive about the useless ***** will only enable it. He needs to start saying that this shit is not good enough.

It's pretty obvious what he says to the media and what he says to the group are completely different things, I trust you've seen the clip of him ripping into them on the park.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • john1420
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Financeguy
  • davidp
  • HarryAllan7
  • Cavalo
  • Wolfie
  • Mick_Hancock
  • sooticus
  • Scdeac
  • maddo
  • Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.