THE COACH Kevin Walters

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
He's earned a bit of time to turn things around. The season isnt lost yet and there is a lot of footy to play. I'm sure he would agree though, if we dont play finals footy, thats unnaceptable and i reckon it should cost him his job. You cant afford to go backwards to the extent you miss the finals after almost winning the big one. I'm still confident though we have enough to finish top 8 minimum.
I agree KW has earned some time but geez I'd really like to see some things change.
We are just off the pace in all areas. Slow play the balls, 2 in a tackle allowing the opposition quick play the balls, kick chase is hit and miss, even when we run the standard block plays we just run through it like a training run fooling nobody. That's all basic stuff we are doing poorly.
Our halves don't look like they have a plan on who/where to attack. Yesterday when we got back in that game we got inside 20 and did 5 hit ups and kick FFS.

If we get our Origin guys back in 1 piece and the rest of the squad stays fit I think we still make the 8 given our draw is easier at the back.
I really think the coaching staff don't know what to do.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
It appears again we’ve fallen into the trap of overpaying players to stop the bleeding, and the ones we have signed in their places are dogshit.

I just cannot accept that Baker, Hunt, Jetski and Quai-Ward (again) were the best our R&R team could muster, even with limited funds.

And the fact we don’t even have anyone on the cards for 2025?

I’m all for growing our own players, but even the best teams at that signed at least one or two legitimately good to great first graders from other clubs.

I don’t know whether it’s all on Kev and Scanlan, or if Dave has any say as well, but it leaves a lot to be desired and while I love Kev, I feel he’s too much of a bleeding heart to be as ruthless as necessary.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
You had me right here.
Its not just the players. We can all acknowledge that things have been poor across the board. Kevys job isn't and shouldn't be under threat though. He's a great coach. The culture and the winning ways have not left the club, it's just a form slouch due to a heap of unfortunate injuries. I would say the team is still on the way up

He called it earlier in the season where we were winning but he wasnt happy with how we were playing. It's compounded with the injuries to key positions.
You could ask the same of all the current top 8. The Storm and Panthers at 1 and 2, for example, have been without Munster and Cleary respectively. The mark of a great team is having the next off the rank step up and challenge the incumbent. Like Jesse Arthars did to Oates.
Yeah but panthers have had hughes and Luai step up and be dominant, reliable performers. Mam is our version of those players at the moment and he has shown he is nothing without walsh or reynolds in the side both in ability and decision making.

He's also played about a quarter of the footy of those two blokes so it is understandable that he can't do what they do which is why it's such an issue for the Broncos.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
No surprise to see Seibold's team outside the 8. Oh wait, they're above us.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Who are we replacing him with?
Cobbo but we’d need to get him fitter. He seems to have a naturally good passing game already. Don’t have to worry about him defending at centre.

Either way I feel like the ball is in the clubs court on what they do with walsh. I doubt he’d want to leave but his performances should allow us to not over pay him.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Cobbo but we’d need to get him fitter. He seems to have a naturally good passing game already. Don’t have to worry about him defending at centre.

Either way I feel like the ball is in the clubs court on what they do with walsh. I doubt he’d want to leave but his performances should allow us to not over pay him.

Problem there is, Walsh is actually the one with the most potential to become our 7 if we are being really honest. Yes he is an absolute weapon at fullback but you could build the team around a spine of:

1. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Walsh
9. Mozer/Bukowski

I am NOT saying this is what we should do but it isn't the worst idea you will hear thrown out today.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The criticism of Walsh because of his performance in origin is craziness... he's a generational talent that has just about everything you would want to build your club around.

He's super talented (athletically and footy IQ), is a footy nut that continually wants to learn and he's super competitive.

He's definitely worth $1m

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
1. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Walsh
9. Mozer/Bukowski

I am NOT saying this is what we should do but it isn't the worst idea you will hear thrown out today.

Only a few hours remaining........

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
One of the worst injury-affected years we've had since the Spoon season, I can genuinely see why Kev didn't want to risk OUR BEST PLAYERS with a short turnaround, which is just exposing them to exponentially more injury risk. Jagging one game during Origin is not as important as our run home.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

If we low ball Walsh, and then move Cobbo from his preferred (and best) position ... I will join the sack everyone movement

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If we low ball Walsh, and then move Cobbo from his preferred (and best) position ... I will join the sack everyone movement

But how are we going to fit all these highly sought after ESL and QCup journeymen?

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
He's super talented (athletically and footy IQ), is a footy nut that continually wants to learn and he's super competitive.

As an attacking player ; yes .
Defensively he is off the pace . No metres from kick returns , doesn`t like catching bombs and is unreliable as the last defender defending breaks , also positioning for kicks I have seen better .
Then there is all the time off he takes to get over being tackled ...

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
One of the worst injury-affected years we've had since the Spoon season, I can genuinely see why Kev didn't want to risk OUR BEST PLAYERS with a short turnaround, which is just exposing them to exponentially more injury risk. Jagging one game during Origin is not as important as our run home.

Agreed. What all of this has done though, is expose how shit our depth is.

On this though, has it been confirmed exactly what the issue is with his hand? There was footage after the Origin game of him showing Haas something. Considering our injuries there's no way you risk him doing further damage to it.

Active Now

• kiwi2
  • sooticus
  • Dexter
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Shane Tronc
  • Aldo
  • Browny
  • Dash
  • Lostboy
  • maddo
  • Kev_Guz
  • Horseheadsup
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.