NEWS Kevvie on Milford's contract renewal: right now you'd have to say "no"

HScreenshot 2021 04 07 The Courier Mail Breaking News Headlines for Brisbane and Queensland Co

Kevin Walters is asked whether Anthony Milford has earned a new contract:

“That’s a work in progress, right now you’d have to say no."

“We need to see ‘Milf’ playing better but I’m extremely confident we can get the best out of Anthony Milford. We’re four weeks into a 25-round competition plus finals. We’re in no hurry and Anthony’s in no hurry. As long as we keep building and getting better, that’s all I’m concerned with. It’s about taking small steps. Everything we’re doing is based around that. It’s all small-picture and trying to get better each week."

"Milf has played some good football this year at stages. We are backing him all the way. He is under a lot of pressure, as is everyone in a Broncos jersey at the moment. It’s about taking little steps at a time to improve and I feel Anthony is certainly having a crack. That’s what I like about him. If and when I believe that stops happening then things will change.”

“I don’t feel there’s any uncertainty around our halves. We’ve got two good halfbacks vying for a position. There is great competition there between them and that’s what’s good about the club. Both players have got areas in their games they are working on and moving forward to get better at."

“The plan is to get those two playing well and improve on what they’ve been building on. I’ve seen some great signs there and some areas we need to be better. The players are aware of that. We’ve had good conversations this week around the three of them (Milford included) and the role they need to play in the side. The competition is about trying to get better each week. I expect those guys to be better.”

“We’re really keen to hang on to Kotoni Staggs, we believe he has a bright future at the Broncos regardless of what position he plays for us. I’m sure he can play back-row, halves and centre. He can play several positions. Right now our major focus is to retain the services of Kotoni and then we will place him somewhere in those positions over the next 12 months.”

“We’re always in the market. You guys (media) should know that. Every club is on the lookout if players become available. We will be looking, but right now we’re trying to re-sign four or five of our junior players. That’s where our major focus has been, trying to secure those guys. There’s a big, bad world out there in the player market and my job is to coach the side. We’ve got other people in our organisation to look after those areas.”

McHunt

So the cap will be dedicated to resigning 4-5 young guys who won the spoon to upgraded contracts they don't deserve.
And not even interested in signing a marquee halfback.
My head cannot process this..say what, Kevvie?

Since we can't blame Bennett for the Boyd/Macca contracts, no one can blame kevvie for these ...

Although if we don't re-sign these guys BHQ will blow up whinging about us losing them

Since we can't blame Bennett for the Boyd/Macca contracts, no one can blame kevvie for these ...

Although if we don't re-sign these guys BHQ will blow up whinging about us losing them
Yes we can blame him, he stuck by them and they held our side back from being a top 6 team. They just stopped trying when Bennett and the true talent and leaders left.

**** what BHQ wants, Kevvie needs established talent yesterday, cause I definitely cannot see how Piakura, Coates, Dearden or Staggs single handedly will turn the clubs fortunes around in the next 2 years.

So the cap will be dedicated to resigning 4-5 young guys who won the spoon to upgraded contracts they don't deserve.
And not even interested in signing a marquee halfback.
My head cannot process this..say what, Kevvie?

"....he was adamant the club could build its future around existing playing talent and was not interested in chasing veteran Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds for next season..."
The fact that Milford even needs to be "challenged" by his coach in an effort to secure a new contract says it all really. Seriously, in which other professional sport would a player earning a million a year need to be challenged to "show more" (effort/interest/intensity).

Milford should be ashamed of himself when he looks in the mirror, the pea-hearted, lazy ****. Does he not have any pride in himself? Well he certainly has no shame thats for sure judging by his half-arsed, 'couldn't give a ****' performances these past few years and still expecting to be paid.

The fact that Milford even needs to be "challenged" by his coach in an effort to secure a new contract says it all really. Seriously, in which other professional sport would a player earning a million a year need to be challenged to "show more" (effort/interest/intensity).

Milford should be ashamed of himself when he looks in the mirror, the pea-hearted, lazy ****. Does he not have any pride in himself? Well he certainly has no shame thats for sure judging by his half-arsed, 'couldn't give a ****' performances these past few years and still expecting to be paid.

I think it’s really unfair to assume you know what a player is thinking, and when I watch Milf I don’t see a player that doesn’t care like everyone else claims too. Maybe a player that struggles with discipline when it comes to fitness, or a player that relied heavily on natural ability and when teams started numbering up on him he was unable to find any answers or much growth.

I don’t think he deserves the vitriol and accusations, I think he just kind of isn’t as good as the guy who wrote up his last contract (and many others) thought he might have been.

It’s kind of like that old quote along the lines of “don’t attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity” or whatever. “Don’t attribute to malice what can be explained by mediocrity”

The most Milford moment on the weekend for me was when he stripped the ball then forget that the opposition could do the same to him and had it stripped straight back. It reminds me of the time Robbie Farah shot out of the line to put a hit on him and he dodged it, but then he started dancing around as he does and forgot Robbie still existed behind him, got smashed and lost the ball.

I also remember him appealing to the referee as a ball came loose and Benji picked it up and ran away and scored while Milford wasn't paying attention. Sorry this turned into a rant, but I wish our team could just play the whistle, it's embarrassing to watch sometimes!

Do ya mean Pete Nolan, Kevvie? **** me we are in some serious trouble then if he is the person "in our organisation to look after these areas"! You may as well walk over to Caxton Street and pull some drunk off their bar stool and let them do the job. There wouldn't be any difference in the end result.
Hey! That was me you were talking about... (Tonight. All the staff there were singing Karaoke and it was AWFUL...) 😂

Welp, there goes any motivation Milford had left to perform (and lets be honest there wasn't much left to lose). If anything this is an invitation from Kev for him to drop his head even further so he can drop him without creating too much drama within the club.

Welp, there goes any motivation Milford had left to perform (and lets be honest there wasn't much left to lose). If anything this is an invitation from Kev for him to drop his head even further so he can drop him without creating too much drama within the club.
I haven’t heard a single peep about other teams showing interest in him. What Kev thinks isn’t even the most of his worries, 15 other coaches would be seeing the same thing Kev is. He is on the edge of being the next Sandow - all the natural ability in the world and not a single club interested. If that doesn’t motivate him I worry for his career.

He'll probably go to England and win the Man of Steel award in the next two seasons.

He'll probably go to England and win the Man of Steel award in the next two seasons.
I’m not sure about that. Milford seems very reluctant to leave Brisbane and is strongly connected to his family. I think he’ll struggle outside of QLD let alone over in England. I have no doubt he’d be the best player in super league but I think the homesickness would kick in very quickly.

I’m not sure about that. Milford seems very reluctant to leave Brisbane and is strongly connected to his family. I think he’ll struggle outside of QLD let alone over in England. I have no doubt he’d be the best player in super league but I think the homesickness would kick in very quickly.
Yep, he'd be like a little boy lost, being the man-child that he is. I expect him to end up down the M1. At least then he can still drive home to Inala to have his laundry washed.

His motivation is to save his career. If that's enough then he was never good enough for another contract anyway.

Yep, he'd be like a little boy lost, being the man-child that he is. I expect him to end up down the M1. At least then he can still drive home to Inala to have his laundry washed.
He could always follow this trajectory and wind up back here in five years:

I think it’s really unfair to assume you know what a player is thinking, and when I watch Milf I don’t see a player that doesn’t care like everyone else claims too. Maybe a player that struggles with discipline when it comes to fitness, or a player that relied heavily on natural ability and when teams started numbering up on him he was unable to find any answers or much growth.

I don’t think he deserves the vitriol and accusations, I think he just kind of isn’t as good as the guy who wrote up his last contract (and many others) thought he might have been.

It’s kind of like that old quote along the lines of “don’t attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity” or whatever. “Don’t attribute to malice what can be explained by mediocrity”
Thats well said....I don't get the Milford hate either TBH. I guess its got something to do with the million dollar price tag....and his lack of performance. That doesn't necessarily make Milford a shit ****.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.