Kevvie on NRL360

Yes and no. It might be on paper, but you look at the players missing big numbers of games last year (Bird was gone before round 1, Staggs missed 5, issaako 10, Turpin 14, Fifita 11, TPJ 11, Glenn 12, Lodge 14, Milford 7 plus played a few with a busted hamstring, and Dearden missed the first part of the season with no ISC so hadn't played footy for nearly a year) and unless we get a similar injury toll the squad's better for having most of those guys available. Not many teams can lose their fullback, backup fullback, backup backup fullback, 5/8, hooker, both second rowers, and most mature prop and still go alright.
Great post

Yes and no. It might be on paper, but you look at the players missing big numbers of games last year (Bird was gone before round 1, Staggs missed 5, issaako 10, Turpin 14, Fifita 11, TPJ 11, Glenn 12, Lodge 14, Milford 7 plus played a few with a busted hamstring, and Dearden missed the first part of the season with no ISC so hadn't played footy for nearly a year) and unless we get a similar injury toll the squad's better for having most of those guys available. Not many teams can lose their fullback, backup fullback, backup backup fullback, 5/8, hooker, both second rowers, and most mature prop and still go alright.
From last year we have "lost" Bird, Boyd, McCullough, Fifita and Offa. We have replaced them with Mead, Asiata and Albert Kelly...

The injuries to the guys means nothing, because it could happen again. The 30 man squad 2021 is weaker than the 30 man squad from 2020. I mean looking just at the first person you mentioned, Staggs who is possibly our best player, he will miss at least 12-14 weeks this year compared to 5 last year.

Last edited:
From last year we have "lost" Bird, Boyd, McCullough, Fifita and Offa. We have replaced them with Mead, Asiata and Albert Kelly...

The injuries to the guys means nothing, because it could happen again. The 30 man squad 2021 is weaker than the 30 man squad from 2020. I mean looking just at the first person you mentioned, Staggs who is possibly our best player, he will miss at least 12-14 weeks this year compared to 5 last year.
We had mostly the same squad in 2019 as we did in 2020 but with a huge difference in injuries. I don't think we'll get nailed two years in a row, this time last year we already had Bird and Lodge gone.

I love how when other clubs cop massive injury tolls like we did the media feel sorry for them and make excuses, but when we do it’s no excuse and they just pretend they didn’t happen.

Also, Ikin might want to try and cover up his level of butthurt even remotely, I mean it is bordering on toddler tantrum at the moment.

I wasn’t too impressed with Kevie’s responses. Some of the questions were legitimate questions and he either palmed them off or gave wispy-washy answers at best.

I wasn’t too impressed with Kevie’s responses. Some of the questions were legitimate questions and he either palmed them off or gave wispy-washy answers at best.
I tend to agree. He sounded more like a motivational speaker with a lot of popular answers and an upbeat persona. I can see what he is trying to do... I think it is important to keep the moral up before round 1 as this playing group seems a little fragile and a confidence based team. Let's hope they can remain competitive on the scoreboard this Friday and put in a good performance to build our season off.

There was nothing legitimate about their questions, they were attempts to get sound bites so they could make fun of us after the interview which they did.

There seems to be a deliberate path from the club to treat the media with the disrespect that they have treated us for years and I love it.

We had mostly the same squad in 2019 as we did in 2020 but with a huge difference in injuries. I don't think we'll get nailed two years in a row, this time last year we already had Bird and Lodge gone.
since 2018 we lost
- Matt Gillett
- Andrew McCullough
- James Roberts
- Kodi Nikorima
- Sam Thaiday
- Korbin Sims
- Jordan Kahu
- Josh McGuire

Well over a thousand games of experience, all of them rep players at points in their career (Sims: Fiji).

They were replaced with:
- Croft
- Kenner

Now we have also seen the exit of:
- Boyd
- Bird
- Offa
- Fifita

Hundreds of games played between them, all rep players at points in there career.

Replaced with:
- Asiata
- Copley (depth)
- Mead (depth)

Someone more willing then me can calculate exactly how much game experience has left since Wayne was coach, then add Wayne’s experience vs Seibold and Walters.

Diabolical recruiting

There was nothing legitimate about their questions, they were attempts to get sound bites so they could make fun of us after the interview which they did.

There seems to be a deliberate path from the club to treat the media with the disrespect that they have treated us for years and I love it.
I thought Kenty’s question on what impressed you most and what worries you most was a good one & to reply with the office was large and either defence or injuries was pretty poor. Would of love to have got a good insight on his legitimate thoughts.
Let’s remember Kevvie is a rookie NRL coach, so it would have been good to see if he was able to identify those areas and not just palm them off with inadequate answers imo.

I thought Kenty’s question on what impressed you most and what worries you most was a good one & to reply with the office was large and either defence or injuries was pretty poor. Would of love to have got a good insight on his legitimate thoughts.
Let’s remember Kevvie is a rookie NRL coach, so it would have been good to see if he was able to identify those areas and not just palm them off with inadequate answers imo.
That's a fair point but my impression is that Kevvie has 2 concerns with how he is talking to the media at least in these early stages. I think he wants to make sure moral is up with the team and from his years working in the media with these guys he knows how they will twist responses so he is keeping it light-hearted and giving them nothing.

Just on that question that Kent asked, yeah on the surface it is a good question but from watching so much of these guys how they would handle potential real insights.

If Kevvie said for instance "The best thing was how upbeat the team was despite everything that had happened last year". Ikin's response afterwards would have been something like "That's concerning. This team won their first wooden spoon, got a coach sacked and were the worst team in the game and they are upbeat? Shows that these guys don't care and don't get it" Hoops would then throw in some "In the fair dinkum department, loose carry, someone think of Darius" and Slothfield would shake and try to remain upright.

Last edited:
That's a fair point but my impression is that Kevvie has 2 concerns with how he is talking to the media at least in these early stages. I think he wants to make sure moral is up with the team and from his years working in the media with these guys he knows how they will twist responses so he is keeping it light-hearted and giving them nothing.

Just on that question that Kent asked, yeah on the surface it is a good question but from watching so much of these guys how they would handle potential real insights.

If Kevvie said for instance "The best thing was how upbeat the team was despite everything that had happened last year". Ikin's response afterwards would have been something like "That's concerning. This team won their first wooden spoon, got a coach sacked and were the worst team in the game and they are upbeat? Shows that these guys don't care and don't get it" Hoops would then throw in some "In the fair dinkum department, loose carry, someone think of Darius" and Slothfield would shake and try to remain upright.
Exactly.

Was just on Fox Sports and they're all about Cronk blowing up with Slothfield, but I cant see any articles about the Broncos following the interview.

They still have time to go back and dissect the interview again, but if they cant spew out an article then I'm counting that as a win.

Fox Sport are synonymous with manufacturing articles from their own TV shows.... nothing happening to report on, then we'll just quote our commentators on our TV shows and create headlines and click bait from there

Last edited:
Exactly.

Was just on Fox Sports and they're all about Cronk blowing up with Slothfield, but I cant see any articles about the Broncos following the interview.

They still have time to go back and dissect the interview again, but if they cant spew out an article then I'm counting that as a win.

Fox Sport are synonymous with manufacturing articles from their own TV shows.... nothing happening to report on then we'll just quote our commentators on our TV shows and create headlines and click bait from there

Mark St John is making a career out of it.

Yeah it really does blow my mind how all these players leave last year, and a bunch the year or two before also and yet we haven’t signed anyone of note... I mean yes, sure, people have been under contract but that didn’t stop the tigers getting Harry Grant for a year. Didn’t stop Parra getting Ryan Matterson. You can make things happen in the player market but it seems like our recruitment is just sitting around with their dicks out doing nothing.

since 2018 we lost
- Matt Gillett
- Andrew McCullough
- James Roberts
- Kodi Nikorima
- Sam Thaiday
- Korbin Sims
- Jordan Kahu
- Josh McGuire

Well over a thousand games of experience, all of them rep players at points in their career (Sims: Fiji).

They were replaced with:
- Croft
- Kenner

Now we have also seen the exit of:
- Boyd
- Bird
- Offa
- Fifita

Hundreds of games played between them, all rep players at points in there career.

Replaced with:
- Asiata
- Copley (depth)
- Mead (depth)

Someone more willing then me can calculate exactly how much game experience has left since Wayne was coach, then add Wayne’s experience vs Seibold and Walters.

Diabolical recruiting

I don’t think this can be argued to be honest, recruitment and retention I think is actually the biggest problem with the club now White is gone. How is Nolan and his team still there? Surely they have to be on borrowed time.

If I’m being honest upon thinking about my negativity over the last few months, the recruitment and retention decisions are far and away number 1 now.

I don’t think this can be argued to be honest, recruitment and retention I think is actually the biggest problem with the club now White is gone. How is Nolan and his team still there? Surely they have to be on borrowed time.

If I’m being honest upon thinking about my negativity over the last few months, the recruitment and retention decisions are far and away number 1 now.
The R&R team should be under huge scrutiny.

The Broncos went all in on the youth and Seibold thought he could coach these youngsters into being NRL players and it has back fired spectacularly

I think out of all the losses Gillett and McGuire were the biggest ones.

At some point it had to have become clear that Milford wasnt progressing on to becoming a 10yr Broncos captain style of player and someone in the organisation had to realise Macca wasn't going to be up to scratch as a starting 9... so the question should've been back then who was going to be the next captain.

There's every chance Gillett was leading the captaincy race after Boyd, but even he would be getting on in age (football wise) right now.

I doubt Glenn would've been too much in the conversation and is probably only playing for the Broncos due to the loss of Gillett, as we had Sua and Fifita coming through as the starting back row.

The R&R team seriously dropped the ball when it came to succession planning, retaining good experienced players and bringing the young guys through.... and to make it even worse they haven't even locked the young guys down to contracts yet!!

If they lose the likes of Dearden, Staggs, Coates, Piakura, Walsh, etc. then the last 5yrs have been for absolutely nothing

Last edited:
The R&R team should be under huge scrutiny.

The Broncos went all in on the youth and Seibold thought he could coach these youngsters into being NRL players and it has back fired spectacularly

I think out of all the losses Gillett and McGuire were the biggest ones.

At some point it had to have become clear that Milford wasnt progressing on to becoming a 10yr Broncos captain style of player and someone in the organisation had to realise Macca wasn't going to be up to scratch as a starting 9... so the question should've been back then who was going to be the next captain.

There's every chance Gillett was leading the captaincy race after Boyd, but even he would be getting on in age (football wise) right now.

I doubt Glenn would've been too much in the conversation and is probably only playing for the Broncos due to the loss of Gillett, as we had Sua and Fifita coming through as the starting back row.

The R&R team seriously dropped the ball when it came to succession planning, retaining good experienced players and bringing the young guys through.... and to make it even worse they haven't even locked the young guys down to contracts yet!!

If they lose the likes of Dearden, Staggs, Coates, Piakura, Walsh, etc. then the last 5yrs have been for absolutely nothing

And those young guys' agents know it, this is the problem.

Never going hungry again

Veronica Eggleton on Twitter
HScreenshot 2021 03 09 Veronica Eggleton on Twitter1

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • mystico
  • TimWhatley
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.