Kewell has signed with...

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Henry wasn't as bad as people make out lol. He was much better towards the end of the campaign once he adjusted to not being the linchpin of the attack. In a perfect world would sign a target man with good skill at both distributing and finishing the guilt edge chances (basically a taller stronger Eto'o lol), Adebayor may be that but is over priced and Benzema showed at the World Cup he isn't ready for that sort of responsibility yet.

Adebayor needs about 8 chances to put one in, even Eto'o finishing was poor, Henry was poor all around, couldn't finish to save his life, didn't have any spark about him, his passing was off, while we had Raul and RVN, that gave us a big advantage last year, either of them could get one chance a game and they would stick it in, and i can't see that changing next season either, unless Benzema goes to Barca, which he wont, because lyon won't sell him this year, and even if he were to move next year, i wouldn't say there are any more chances of him going to Barca then Real, don't judge him from his Euro matches, france had one of the worst managers in the business, Benzema is brilliant , any team would be very very lucky to have him.

Oh I know how good he can be I just think he's not ready yet to go to a club that big and score consistently. Henry improved toward the end of the season and from what I read from his interviews he is more settled now. I think the side in general will benefit from losing Deco, Eto'o and Ronaldinho int he long term as they all displayed bad attitudes last season, the clean out is needed just hope they get someone to score the goals consistently (or hope Henry is given time in the middle of attack) Adebayor is great on the ball (bit like Kanu) and would suit the Barca mentality but as you say he can miss sitters, I don't think they would want or it would suit Barca to get a RVN type of player because they use that Dutch adage of all players can interchange and all players can contribute to the build up including the strikers, thats why I don't even think they have sniffed around Ajax for Huntelaar despite them putting the for sale sign up, poachers are not particularly well revered there and tbh I actually like that in terms of the style I love watching.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Oh I know how good he can be I just think he's not ready yet to go to a club that big and score consistently. Henry improved toward the end of the season and from what I read from his interviews he is more settled now. I think the side in general will benefit from losing Deco, Eto'o and Ronaldinho int he long term as they all displayed bad attitudes last season, the clean out is needed just hope they get someone to score the goals consistently (or hope Henry is given time in the middle of attack) Adebayor is great on the ball (bit like Kanu) and would suit the Barca mentality but as you say he can miss sitters, I don't think they would want or it would suit Barca to get a RVN type of player because they use that Dutch adage of all players can interchange and all players can contribute to the build up including the strikers, thats why I don't even think they have sniffed around Ajax for Huntelaar despite them putting the for sale sign up, poachers are not particularly well revered there and tbh I actually like that in terms of the style I love watching.

I didn't say Barca need a player similar in style to RVN, i said they need a potent finisher, best finisher in the world right now IMO is David Villa.

Poachers aren't revered in Barca? They had the best poacher ever to play this game in Romario, Kluivert played for Barcelona for many years.

Fact is, fans only talk about their style of play when they are losing, Barcelona fans would take 2 titles in a row over playing beautifully any day, except they'll probably never admit it.

Haha very true. I do cling to our style of play though its what attracted me in the first place. Romario a poacher yes however had an amazing amount of skill and he provided goals as well as scored them when he was younger and Kluivert was a lot more useful than RVN outside the box (not nearly as useful in it) held up the ball and distributed well when at Barca to the likes of Luis Enrique and Figo ahh those were the days. Villa would be very useful as you suggest he is bloody lethal in front of goal but also technically he passes well and fits the short passing style of the national setup so would no doubt do the same for Barca.

Could Kewell have chosen a worse team to go to? [icon_thumbs_do

Woody said:
Could Kewell have chosen a worse team to go to? [icon_thumbs_do

Well he could have come to the a-league [icon_lol1.

IMO he should have stayed in the Premier League or gone to Italy or Spain. Going to Turkey is a step backwards

No thought for the 2 Leeds fans who were stabbed to death when Leeds (who Kewell played for at the time) met Galatasaray in Europe Harry??????

I guess money does talk in football!!! im sure he had the pick of quite a few teams.

Woody said:
No thought for the 2 Leeds fans who were stabbed to death when Leeds (who Kewell played for at the time) met Galatasaray in Europe Harry??????

I guess money does talk in football!!! im sure he had the pick of quite a few teams.

To not go to a club for that reason is just ridiculous, even if he did care for the 2 leeds fans.

It would certainly deter me from going thats for sure. I don't know how you can find it ridiculous fenomeno

HARRY Kewell has written an open letter to furious Leeds United fans in a desperate attempt to quell their anger over his move to Turkish club Galatasaray.

The Socceroos star, who spent nine years at Leeds, revealed late last week he had signed with Istanbul-based Galatasaray fortwo years after his contract at Liverpool expired in May.

And although he explained over the weekend why he had made the move, many Leeds supporters still remember that two of their fans, Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight, were stabbed to death by Turkish hooligans on the eve of the UEFA Cup semi-final against Galatasaray in 2000.

Kewell played in that match which went ahead despite the tragedy, Leeds losing 2-0.

Today, Kewell insisted he maintained strong feelings towards Leeds and said he had chosen his new number at Galatasaray as a mark of respect for his former club.

"My love and respect for Leeds United FC and what the club has done for me will never change, no matter what anyone says about me and whatever their motives are," he wrote in a letter issued through Sky Sports in Britain.

"My sense of sorrow and sympathy for the families and friends of Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight will always be with me.

"I chose the No.19 shirt when I signed for Galatasaray as a sign of respect for Leeds because that was the number I got when I first became a regular member of the Leeds United FC starting XI.

"I felt that it might be a way to demonstrate that I had not forgotten where it all started and I was hoping that in a small way it would help the healing process of the tragedy that occurred on the 5th of April 2000.

Kewell said to blame Galatasaray club for the deaths of the two Leeds fans eight years ago was "simply wrong and discriminatory".

"This is a club founded in 1905 that has a proud history of striving for sporting excellence and it should be given the same respect as any other football club," he wrote.

"I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion on whatever they like, but that does not make their opinion right.

"No one has to agree with my views or my choices, but I think it's only fair and reasonable to allow me and my family to enjoy the same democratic rights as expected by those that have been attacking me over the last few days."

But Kewell's letter has failed to calm concerns about his move among some Leeds supporters, with many sending angry emails to Sky Sports' website.

"Shame on you Harry. As someone who was there and witnessed what happened you really should be ashamed," Craig Higgins said in an email.

Tony Darley added: "For all the fine words HK says, or should I say his agent has wrote (sic) for him, there is one reason and one reason only that he has chosen to join Galatasaray, money."

Galatasaray are also involved in one of world sport's most bitter rivalries with fellow Istanbul side Fenerbahce.

Violent clashes and street fights are usual at derbies between the two.

Deaths among fighting fans are not uncommon and banners proclaiming "Welcome To Hell" add to the intimidating atmosphere at Galatasaray's Al Sami Yen Stadium.

Kewell's move is surprising after he had been liked with Italian club Roma and English Premier League outfits Portsmouth and Fulham since starring in the Socceroos' recent World Cup qualifiers.

But Kewell, who was welcomed by throngs of supporters on arrival in Istanbul, said he was excited to have joined a club with a passionate fan base.

"I know that the fans are passionate about sport and I love that," he said.

"I can't wait to get more of it."

Kewell was not named as one of the three over-age players in Australia's 18-man squad for the Olympics after telling Olyroos coach Graham Arnold he would be unable to commit fully because of his negotiations with the Turkish club.

He is one of several Australians to ply their trade in Turkey.

Socceroos Josip Skoko, Mile Sterjovski and Nick Carle have all had stints in Turkey, goalkeeper Michael Petkovic has spent the past four years there, while young striker Bruce Djite has just signed for Ankara-based Genclerbirligi.

Turkey's national team made the Euro 2008 semi-finals last month, highlighting the strength of their league.

- AAP

Its a brain dead move mate if you know anything about football you will agree. The ill feeling between the two countries still runs very high as seen when they met after the incident at the Stadium of Light (one of the most hate filled crowds I have ever sat in and any Turk was fair game). According to the post above he has now put out some poxy letter trying to appease Leeds fans....to late Harry the horse has bolted the paddock.

fenomeno said:
Woody said:

To not go to a club for that reason is just ridiculous, even if he did care for the 2 leeds fans.

Woody said:
Its a brain dead move mate if you know anything about football you will agree. The ill feeling between the two countries still runs very high as seen when they met after the incident at the Stadium of Light (one of the most hate filled crowds I have ever sat in and any Turk was fair game). According to the post above he has now put out some poxy letter trying to appease Leeds fans....to late Harry the horse has bolted the paddock.

fenomeno said:
Woody said:

That England-Turkey game was in 2003 wasn't it? Another forum member here has been to the stadium of light :mrgreen:

Scotty said:
It would certainly deter me from going thats for sure. I don't know how you can find it ridiculous fenomeno

Because he's made a decision in his best interests, whatever they may be, to move to Galatasaray, after looking at all his options, if he feels moving there is best for him, then previous history, related to his old club Leeds, should not influence his decision, and it hasn't.

Yep it was 2003 and one of the last England games I attended before moving over to Australia. As I said before a very explosive day the most volatile atmosphere I have ever experienced. The whole crowd seemed to consist of very angry males who were certainly after Turkish blood that day.

The Stadium of Light was certainly a step up from the old Roker Park!!! [icon_lol1.

Scotty said:
Woody said:

fenomeno said:
Woody said:

That England-Turkey game was in 2003 wasn't it? Another forum member here has been to the stadium of light :mrgreen:

I think money is probably what has swayed him in to moving there. It's surprising to me actually as he has started a family in England so I would have thought staying there would have been in his 'best interests'. But I could well be wrong, there is more than likely other defining factors in the move.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Old Mate
  • phoenix
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • theshed
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.