Kotoni Staggs Discussion

You can make a million excuses for Staggs but 6 runs in 80 minutes is pathetic.

He's on $28,000 a game, it's not hard to take 2-3 scoots per half to provide some threat out of dummy half and help out the forwards. He can also roam around the forwards every now and then to keep the opposition guessing

Not impressed whatsoever, I expect the highest paid players in the team to play a big part every week.
No excuse to be a lazy ****.

10 runs a game should be bare minimum.

I just hope he needs a few games to find fitness, and it's not his norm.

I think people need to change their perception of Staggs- he's not going to be a Tate and run from dummy half he's not that type of centre.

He's Renouf, whenever a player told Renouf to get into dummyhalf he'd say the Ferrari doesn't pull the caravan.

You don't want Staggs having to ruck it out and do mud work. He may only do eight runs but you want him in position to score tries and attacking.

You don't want two of them but you need one, someone else has to be the Johns or Tate.

I think people need to change their perception of Staggs- he's not going to be a Tate and run from dummy half he's not that type of centre.

He's Renouf, whenever a player told Renouf to get into dummyhalf he'd say the Ferrari doesn't pull the caravan.

You don't want Staggs having to ruck it out and do mud work. He may only do eight runs but you want him in position to score tries and attacking.

You don't want two of them but you need one, someone else has to be the Johns or Tate.
Compared to Renouf though, Staggs is more of a Range Rover Sport.

I’ve definitely seen people tow caravans with them.

If he didn't bomb trys in both games there wouldn't even be a discussion lol

I just need to verify this, for my sanity.

We are digging it into Kotoni because he bombed a try or 2.

We are equally digging it into Herbie (in another thread) because he can't setup his winger? despite running 200+ metres, scoring 2 tries, etc.

Yeah look, you blokes are on the good shit and I am interested.

I just need to verify this, for my sanity.

We are digging it into Kotoni because he bombed a try or 2.

We are equally digging it into Herbie (in another thread) because he can't setup his winger? despite running 200+ metres, scoring 2 tries, etc.

Yeah look, you blokes are on the good shit and I am interested.
Winning/scoring trys avoids criticism. Happens here, reddit and all forms of socials/media etc.

For example, If we lost that game against the Dogs the media would've been all over areyn due to the hype and staggs for bombing that try. Probably the same against the bunnies.

Can we give him more than a couple of games before we start digging it in?

Unbelievable.
Goes with the territory of getting the big dollars. If Milf was a $400k player he would have got a lot less criticism. Same with somebody like Fifita. Kotoni is supposed to be an elite center. We have the right to expect more from him.

Goes with the territory of getting the big dollars. If Milf was a $400k player he would have got a lot less criticism. Same with somebody like Fifita. Kotoni is supposed to be an elite center. We have the right to expect more from him.

No that's not true, Turpin wouldn't be on much and he cops it from all angles every week.

Staggs 53 games 26 tries
Renouf 53 games 27 tries
It was more a commentary on their playing styles.

Renouf was a Ferrari, particularly off the mark. Staggs is quick, but not that quick. Staggs also doesn’t have the guile that Renouf had, that silky smooth movement. Conversely, he is more robust and more damaging. Staggs bounced around between second row and centre in QCup. I don’t know, but I’d hazard a guess Renouf didn’t play any second row in any grade.

As an aside, Renouf must have gone absolutely bonkers not long after that, scoring 115 tries in 130 games. What a strike rate!

No that's not true, Turpin wouldn't be on much and he cops it from all angles every week.
Of course it's true. You can't demand elite money ( which Kotoni did with his contract negotiations ) and deliver mediocre performances. We have had plenty over the last few years who have failed to deliver their big contracts and I didn't see many trying to excuse their lack of performance.

Turpin cops it because his general play just isn't great and he is in a key position. If he was on the money Kotoni is on he would be getting it a whole lot worse than he is. And I didn't say they would get no criticism either, I just said it wouldn't be as bad.

Renouf was a Ferrari, particularly off the mark. Staggs is quick, but not that quick. Staggs also doesn’t have the guile that Renouf had, that silky smooth movement. Conversely, he is more robust and more damaging. Staggs bounced around between second row and centre in QCup. I don’t know, but I’d hazard a guess Renouf didn’t play any second row in any grade.

As an aside, Renouf must have gone absolutely bonkers not long after that, scoring 115 tries in 130 games. What a strike rate!

He did. It was glorious to watch.

Kinda supports what 1910 is saying tho. Chris Johns was the reliable one, doing the hard work - which freed Pearl up to rip teams apart

Which is what we want Staggs doing - rip teams apart

Staggs 53 games 26 tries
Renouf 53 games 27 tries
And I saw Renouf drop the ball with the line open or even over the line when he 1st started out .
I knew a girl from Cherbourg who grew up with Steve . I remember telling her he is doing the hard work just needs to finish the job .

I would say in either game we get the L without Staggs. He did a lot of good things, absolutely stopped two tries at least in the Dogs game alone. His timing is off and I believe his mind would still be on his knee injuries. You don't come back from being out of the game as long as he has and just go right back to being the best. Each week he will get better and better, I want him at his peak when we are entering the finals not in week 2. He will get there just have patience.

Bounced around is a bit much-two games at second row.

And I saw Renouf drop the ball with the line open or even over the line when he 1st started out .
I knew a girl from Cherbourg who grew up with Steve . I remember telling her he is doing the hard work just needs to finish the job .
I thought the Pearl was from Murgon?

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Midean
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • broncoscope
  • KateBroncos1812
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Mister Wright
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Socnorb
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Tmac
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.