Kotoni Staggs Discussion

I've said in the past I don't like him as a person. Been saying that on here since 2018 but i did think he may have changed a little but he hasnt that much. Probably got a bit worse if anything. I don't feel I've been hypocritical or anything in my views of him. I think he is pretty full of himself and sleazy.

At the same time, I've been on his bandwagon as a player long before most on here had even really been aware of him. I just don't think he is a great bloke. Never really been impressed with him defensively even from when I first watched him but he's always been brilliant as a ball runner. I don't really think I've been any more critical of him than anyone else. I just think he has been poor so far this year. He is one of our strike players on big money. I thing we should expect big things from him same as anyone else comparable to him.
Don’t disagree with any thing you’ve said but can’t help but think that some of your comments after only 2 rounds in a clunky but winning team is probably swayed by your (reasonable) dislike of the man. Going off a tad early.

I've said in the past I don't like him as a person. Been saying that on here since 2018 but i did think he may have changed a little but he hasnt that much. Probably got a bit worse if anything. I don't feel I've been hypocritical or anything in my views of him. I think he is pretty full of himself and sleazy.

At the same time, I've been on his bandwagon as a player long before most on here had even really been aware of him. I just don't think he is a great bloke. Never really been impressed with him defensively even from when I first watched him but he's always been brilliant as a ball runner. I don't really think I've been any more critical of him than anyone else. I just think he has been poor so far this year. He is one of our strike players on big money. I thing we should expect big things from him same as anyone else comparable to him.
Hopefully he can grow up and become a better bloke as time goes on. There are plenty of people who started out as fuckwits but eventually pulled their heads in. Although there are also plenty of examples at NRL level that show you don't need to be a decent bloke to be an excellent player.

But good/shit blokeness aside, I can see your point about players on the star wages needing to play like stars. At the same time I'd be happy to give him a handful of games to get back into his groove, given the large changes in the team, overall shitiness of the squad the last couple of years, and missing a big chunk of games injured. As long as he's not letting the team down it doesn't matter so much (to me anyway) if it takes him a while to hit his straps.

Don’t disagree with any thing you’ve said but can’t help but think that some of your comments after only 2 rounds in a clunky but winning team is probably swayed by your (reasonable) dislike of the man. Going off a tad early.
I actually don't think it is really. I find it easy to separate the player and the person. Like I said, I just say what I'm seeing game by game. It's not the Kotoni I'm used to seeing. He just seems so flat and off his game. He is usually pretty dynamic even when he doesn't have his better games.

Hopefully he can grow up and become a better bloke as time goes on. There are plenty of people who started out as fuckwits but eventually pulled their heads in. Although there are also plenty of examples at NRL level that show you don't need to be a decent bloke to be an excellent player.

But good/shit blokeness aside, I can see your point about players on the star wages needing to play like stars. At the same time I'd be happy to give him a handful of games to get back into his groove, given the large changes in the team, overall shitiness of the squad the last couple of years, and missing a big chunk of games injured. As long as he's not letting the team down it doesn't matter so much (to me anyway) if it takes him a while to hit his straps.

We have had some awful contracts in recent years. Milford and Boyd probably just about earned their contracts at the time, but they fell off a cliff rapidly. I still think if we signed Boyd on his contract for 2 years instead of the 4, it would have been pretty much on the money. We just have to start making sure our big earners are big players who make big contributions. You think in recent times we have had Milford, Lodge, Pangai, Bird and Boyd, plus people like Croft and Oates and even some of the younger guys on decent contracts before that have achieved anything and you can see why our cap was in such a mess. We just cant let that happen again.

I actually don't think it is really. I find it easy to separate the player and the person. Like I said, I just say what I'm seeing game by game. It's not the Kotoni I'm used to seeing. He just seems so flat and off his game. He is usually pretty dynamic even when he doesn't have his better games.
He's off his game. People get the yips, it happens. He's got the talent in spades. Everything in the last game particularly, screamed he was just expecting it to happen instead of working for it. He was alright in defense, just a shambles in attack. I'm pretty relaxed about it, he's had what, 4 games in 2 seasons? Patience, give him a few more before hitting the panic button.

We have had some awful contracts in recent years. Milford and Boyd probably just about earned their contracts at the time, but they fell off a cliff rapidly. I still think if we signed Boyd on his contract for 2 years instead of the 4, it would have been pretty much on the money. We just have to start making sure our big earners are big players who make big contributions. You think in recent times we have had Milford, Lodge, Pangai, Bird and Boyd, plus people like Croft and Oates and even some of the younger guys on decent contracts before that have achieved anything and you can see why our cap was in such a mess. We just cant let that happen again.

The Boyd deal was bad from the moment it was thought up. Even in 2015 he was coming back from a serious injury and was already on the wrong side of 30. A big money four year deal was absolutely stupid.

He's off his game. People get the yips, it happens. He's got the talent in spades. Everything in the last game particularly, screamed he was just expecting it to happen instead of working for it. He was alright in defense, just a shambles in attack. I'm pretty relaxed about it, he's had what, 4 games in 2 seasons? Patience, give him a few more before hitting the panic button.

Thats the thing though, i'm not panicking, i'm just commenting about what he did in the last game. If he is ordinary again in the next game i'll still say the same thing 😁

Long term i'm fully expecting him to ramp up his performances because he's a quality player.

The Boyd deal was bad from the moment it was thought up. Even in 2015 he was coming back from a serious injury and was already on the wrong side of 30. A big money four year deal was absolutely stupid.

I still think at the time a 2 year deal would have been fine. For a fullback of his standing it was decent value. 4 years though was madness. Nobody could have predicted his decline they way it happened though.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.