Kotoni & Tesi

I think maybe Staggs is feeling the pressure of being a marquee player and thinks he has to come up with something every time he touches the ball, particularly when the side is struggling like it is, which is leading to errors. He needs to just go back to doing the basics right and go from there.

I think maybe Staggs is feeling the pressure of being a marquee player and thinks he has to come up with something every time he touches the ball, which is leading to errors. He needs to just go back to doing the basics right and go from there.
Seems be the problem with the whole team. They just want to score points off every set rather than building a game plan. Even Reynolds is probably feeling the pressure. As much as I hate one out hit ups, would love to just see this team have a high completion rate and tight defence. Good kick chase and grind out games.

I think maybe Staggs is feeling the pressure of being a marquee player and thinks he has to come up with something every time he touches the ball, which is leading to errors. He needs to just go back to doing the basics right and go from there.

That would be a start, but every one of the experts on TV and others in the media are now jumping on him for not going looking for work in the games. He waits for things to come to him instead of going looking to inject himself into the game like Hodgo did. When you become the marquee player on big money, people expect you to win you games and make a difference. You just cant get away from that.

Seems be the problem with the whole team. They just want to score points off every set rather than building a game plan. Even Reynolds is probably feeling the pressure. As much as I hate one out hit ups, would love to just see this team have a high completion rate and tight defence. Good kick chase and grind out games.

I was saying that yesterday. We need to play Bennett ball for a while. Run hard, tackle hard, complete your sets, compete on every play and stay in the game. Maybe we are over complicating things right now.

That would be a start, but every one of the experts on TV and others in the media are now jumping on him for not going looking for work in the games. He waits for things to come to him instead of going looking to inject himself into the game like Hodgo did. When you become the marquee player on big money, people expect you to win you games and make a difference. You just cant get away from that.
Yep, and Staggs has never really done that, he’s not that kind of centre. Now he’s on big bucks it’s an easy thing for commentators to say, but we didn’t re-sign him to do things he’s never done, we presumably re-signed him to do what he’s always done.

Yep, and Staggs has never really done that, he’s not that kind of centre. Now he’s on big bucks it’s an easy thing for commentators to say, but we didn’t re-sign him to do things he’s never done, we presumably re-signed him to do what he’s always done.

I think he used to do it more than he currently is. He needs to evolve though. You cant carry a player who just waits for the game to come to him. We would have signed him thinking he would add to his game.

I was saying that yesterday. We need to play Bennett ball for a while. Run hard, tackle hard, complete your sets, compete on every play and stay in the game. Maybe we are over complicating things right now.
The best we played yesterday was the 5mins straight after halftime when we straightened up and just had one out hit ups off the ruck. So Kevvie at least identified it. Our forwards are our strength, that’s where we need to be playing, but we need a decent 9 to steer them and stop guys like Carrigan crabbing across field throwing stupid offloads.

Mmm, yes and no ! We do need a certain amount of that it's true but last week we did that, bashed it up the middle instead of getting it a bit wider. It might have been better if we'd stayed out of the centre 20 metres a bit more and run Haas and co at the centres and halves a bit more often. As WB said, it's not a complicated game.

The best we played yesterday was the 5mins straight after halftime when we straightened up and just had one out hit ups off the ruck. So Kevvie at least identified it. Our forwards are our strength, that’s where we need to be playing, but we need a decent 9 to steer them and stop guys like Carrigan crabbing across field throwing stupid offloads.

Its got to be how Kevvie wants us to play. We have had a shift in getting our forwards to be a bit more expansive.

Mmm, yes and no ! We do need a certain amount of that it's true but last week we did that, bashed it up the middle instead of getting it a bit wider. It might have been better if we'd stayed out of the centre 20 metres a bit more and run Haas and co at the centres and halves a bit more often. As WB said, it's not a complicated game.

We just need to start completing sets. Thats where its going to start.

Yeah because the Broncos have a plethora of ready made replacements able to jump in and do the job required. How would sending Staggs down to a third rate comp help his confidence? Who the hell do you suggest comes in for Tesi? Ol' man Mead? How would that improve the team?

This constant talk of wholesale changes is laughable to me. Very few teams (if any) have the necessary depth to do so. The Broncos top 17 contain players that aren't first grade standard which then equals to zero depth. This combined with the injuries that inevitably occur= another horrid season.
Yeah because the Broncos have a plethora of ready made replacements able to jump in and do the job required. How would sending Staggs down to a third rate comp help his confidence? Who the hell do you suggest comes in for Tesi? Ol' man Mead? How would that improve the team?

This constant talk of wholesale changes is laughable to me. Very few teams (if any) have the necessary depth to do so. The Broncos top 17 contain players that aren't first grade standard which then equals to zero depth. This combined with the injuries that inevitably occur= another horrid season.
Agree, but how would keeping them in a comp that is way better than they think they are do their confidence, it will destroy them.

Maybe we start a rumour, he is agitating to get to the Roosters in a 2 for none deal with Haas.

previously i've been against Staggs to 5/8.

but right now, i don't think it would be the worst idea. it would force him to get his hands on the ball more. he doesn't have to worry about being a genuine play maker ... just run the damn ball.

But he isnt one of our best players right now. You arent dropping him back to QLD cup for any other reason than he has pretty much been our worst player in the 4 games we have played. You are only one of the best players until you arent, and he currently isnt. We have been going through this now with players like Boyd and Milford. Both quality players at one time, but both fell off a cliff pretty badly.

I dont really get why you are saying we have been following a team that only ever wins. Thats really not been the case for the best part of 15 years now. We have had some moments, but we havent been genuine challengers on a regular basis for a long time now.

We have lots of different options to improve this club. Do we have the ruthlessness and guts to make those decisions? I have my doubts.

We made a grand final 7 years ago mate, during Wayne's last tenure here we were a strong team throughout, only since we moved him on have we been in the shit.

Clubs like the Tigers haven't had a team every worthy of making the 8 for what seems like an age, we're in a 3-4 year run and we're here whinging expecting wholesale changes, dropping rep calibre players to QLD Cup, coach on notice.. etc

Kotoni is one good game away from proving everyone wrong and I wouldn't back against him, he's just that kind of a player.

Thought I was going to open the thread to a pic like this.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Emanon
  • rnabokov
  • Broncorob
  • Confidor
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.