VOTE Kurt Capewell or Jaydn Su'A

Kurt Capewell or Jaydn Su'A, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure we need either ... but would be happy with either at the right price.

I did vote for Capewell in this poll because he is slightly more experienced and seems to run good lines

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Capewell in a heartbeat, but I'm waiting for the Nicho Hynes announcement.
Yeah cause if we sign Nicho I will be curious to see if we go after a good proper winger or sit with Isaako

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I think the decision had to be lose 1 of either Riki or Piakura and sign an experienced 2nd row or re-sign both and commit to them.

In retrospect you’d have let Riki go and signed Capewell or Sua while developing Piakura.

Now that both Riki and Piakura are on 3-400k each and taking up top 30 spots, signing another second row on 450k + is not smart top 30 management.

You could probably offload Riki but we can’t keep dishonouring contracts.
I understand what you mean but I don’t think there is any chance Lodge is here next year which will likely see tevita either shift to lock or prop leaving a second row spot open.... I’m not sold on Piakura starting just yet so there is a spot for Capewell or Su’A

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I understand what you mean but I don’t think there is any chance Lodge is here next year which will likely see tevita either shift to lock or prop leaving a second row spot open.... I’m not sold on Piakura starting just yet so there is a spot for Capewell or Su’A

I think TPJ is in career form and one of our best each week. It would be a shame to move him.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I think TPJ is in career form and one of our best each week. It would be a shame to move him.
Other option would be to move Riki to the bench he can play prop as well... but that would be exposing Flegler to start

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
We’d be stupid to let Riki go. He’s already shown that he can hit every bit as good Su’a and can run far better lines then him and most back rowers for that matter.

Add to this he is only really starting his career I’m willing to bet he’ll be every bit as good as Gillette if not better. There is a further bonus keeping RIKi in that we’ll never lose him at origin time.
Yeah, I don’t think we need another second row option. At least not a high profile one. I’d rather we use Glenn th is year while Riki works on his game off the bench of in Q cup and then commit to Riki next season with Piakura on the bench.

Money could be spent elsewhere

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I think the decision had to be lose 1 of either Riki or Piakura and sign an experienced 2nd row or re-sign both and commit to them.

In retrospect you’d have let Riki go and signed Capewell or Sua while developing Piakura.

Now that both Riki and Piakura are on 3-400k each and taking up top 30 spots, signing another second row on 450k + is not smart top 30 management.

You could probably offload Riki but we can’t keep dishonouring contracts.
They could be thinking about moving Riki back into the middle rotation.

I think he was as much a middle forward as he was a second rower in the juniors and he'd be a mobile middle forward in today's game.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

I think he was as much a middle forward as he was a second rower in the juniors and he'd be a mobile middle forward in today's game.

Interesting idea, especially if we lose Lodge. Bullimore and Riki’s are what props are these days I guess. I mean, until Vlandy decides to change it over night again and all the teams that adjusted their roster to fit his rules end up failing under his new rules.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018

As the @theshed suggest there is no real need to shelve out more cash on a back rower we're much better served putting the money into the spine. So wherever we decide to play Riki in the pack, i think he's a keeper.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Interesting idea, especially if we lose Lodge. Bullimore and Riki’s are what props are these days I guess. I mean, until Vlandy decides to change it over night again and all the teams that adjusted their roster to fit his rules end up failing under his new rules.
This is what worries me the most.

At the moment everything is about having a good long kicker to get field position, because you no longer have penalties there to give you instant field position... top of the table at the moment is Panthers (Cleary), Eels (Moses) and Souths (Reynolds).

We've just spent big on a halfback with an excellent long kicking game, but I think there's a chance that Vlando and his cronies will change the 6 agains to being a penalty when it's inside your own 50m. That would suddenly make a long kicker a little less valuable.

The flippantness of Vlando makes it hard to have any certainty around roster management 3-5yrs in the future.... prior to 6 agains we compiled a monster pack to roll through the middle only for him to flip that approach on its head

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This is what worries me the most.

At the moment everything is about having a good long kicker to get field position, because you no longer have penalties there to give you instant field position... top of the table at the moment is Panthers (Cleary), Eels (Moses) and Souths (Reynolds).

We've just spent big on a halfback with an excellent long kicking game, but I think there's a chance that Vlando and his cronies will change the 6 agains to being a penalty when it's inside your own 50m. That would suddenly make a long kicker a little less valuable.

The flippantness of Vlando makes it hard to have any certainty around roster management 3-5yrs in the future.... prior to 6 agains we compiled a monster pack to roll through the middle only for him to flip that approach on its head

This is the thing, you build a squad to the new rules and then he is likely to change his mind again depending on which way the Roosters are trending.

I think we should go for Capewell because he offers more versatility. You can put him lock or second row or if needed, centre. Either way, if Lodge goes and TPJ ends up going back into the middle, Riki and Piakura are too raw to be the starting backrowers. Even Riki doesn't look ready to start yet.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I gotta ask, if Brenko was pretty much bargain basement, say even 200-300k, why would everyone prefer Gagai at the suspected 600-700k that’s he’ll be looking for? I mean, I love Gagai in the Maroon Jersey, but he’s been all but fucking useless for the vast majority of his first grade career..? He’s almost meme status, or was a couple of years earlier.
Gagai is being talked about in the market at 400odd.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
This is the thing, you build a squad to the new rules and then he is likely to change his mind again depending on which way the Roosters are trending.

I think we should go for Capewell because he offers more versatility. You can put him lock or second row or if needed, centre. Either way, if Lodge goes and TPJ ends up going back into the middle, Riki and Piakura are too raw to be the starting backrowers. Even Riki doesn't look ready to start yet.
Yeah I think Kevvie putting Riki back to the bench for TPJ in the second row suggests that he thinks he's probably 1-2yrs off being a legitimate starter for us... and I'd say Piakura might be in the same boat.

So we need some second rowers to get us by for the next couple years.

I think TPJ is playing the best footy of his career right now at second row, so he can easily hold one of those spots down. I think he can play left side as well, as he has a left arm carry.... but if Piakura or Riki come along then TPJ could also be a very good lock for us allowing Carrigan to move into the prop rotation.

TPJ is also off contract at the end of next year so we need to start thinking about extending him or have some depth available if he leaves... could be a reason we're looking to move Lodge on to free up cap for TPJ and Haas.

Given Piakura and Riki look a bit raw then one of Capewell or Sua would be a great option with TPJ to get us by until 2023 when Piakura should be more than ready to take one of the spots.

I'd say Piakura is definitely ear marked for the left edge spot... maybe he starts transitioning into that role as of next year (Glenn expected to retire), but that would represent a long term back row of 11. Piakura 12. Sua / Capewell 13. TPJ.

I think Riki would be great in the middle rotation. He's lanky, strong and athletic. He looks like a guy that has aggression in him to lead the defensive line and put some shots on. Plus he runs great lines and gives his inside men an option to pass to, so you know he'll provide a decoy runner or support runner through the middle.

Long term pack from say 2023:
8. Haas
10. Carrigan
11. Piakura
12. Sua / Capewell
13. TPJ

14. Utility
15. Flegler
16. Riki
17. Bullemor

Bench contains mobile middle forwards with Riki and Bull able to double up as subs for the 2nd row or lock. The bench looks light at the moment, but they'd have an extra 1-2yr of experience to be holding their own in forward battles

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah I think Kevvie putting Riki back to the bench for TPJ in the second row suggests that he thinks he's probably 1-2yrs off being a legitimate starter for us... and I'd say Piakura might be in the same boat.

So we need some second rowers to get us by for the next couple years.

I think TPJ is playing the best footy of his career right now at second row, so he can easily hold one of those spots down. I think he can play left side as well, as he has a left arm carry.... but if Piakura or Riki come along then TPJ could also be a very good lock for us allowing Carrigan to move into the prop rotation.

TPJ is also off contract at the end of next year so we need to start thinking about extending him or have some depth available if he leaves... could be a reason we're looking to move Lodge on to free up cap for TPJ and Haas.

Given Piakura and Riki look a bit raw then one of Capewell or Sua would be a great option with TPJ to get us by until 2023 when Piakura should be more than ready to take one of the spots.

I'd say Piakura is definitely ear marked for the left edge spot... maybe he starts transitioning into that role as of next year (Glenn expected to retire), but that would represent a long term back row of 11. Piakura 12. Sua / Capewell 13. TPJ.

I think Riki would be great in the middle rotation. He's lanky, strong and athletic. He looks like a guy that has aggression in him to lead the defensive line and put some shots on. Plus he runs great lines and gives his inside men an option to pass to, so you know he'll provide a decoy runner or support runner through the middle.

Long term pack from say 2023:
8. Haas
10. Carrigan
11. Piakura
12. Sua / Capewell
13. TPJ

14. Utility
15. Flegler
16. Riki
17. Bullemor

Bench contains mobile middle forwards with Riki and Bull able to double up as subs for the 2nd row or lock. The bench looks light at the moment, but they'd have an extra 1-2yr of experience to be holding their own in forward battles

Riki will get stronger so it could work as a rotation for sure but I am not sure Riki is ready for it yet, he seems to run with good energy at present but get stopped pretty much dead in his tracks. That and his poor hands under fatigue is what makes me think he is not ready to start yet.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • whykickamoocow
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • DMZ
  • Wolfie
  • mrslong
  • Mister Wright
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.