International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Birdj1

Leaner Jack Bird fit and primed to bounce back for Broncos

December 14, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a credit to Seibold that he has got him so fit.

Mate I’m a massive Seibold fan but seriously how long has he been there for?

Surely you don’t believe that Seibold has got him league fit in the space of 2 weeks

It is a credit to Seibold that he has got him so fit.

What about George Fai? Seibold has let us down badly there. Not sure he is going to be the right coach for the Broncs

What about George Fai? Seibold has let us down badly there. Not sure he is going to be the right coach for the Broncs

George ‘Ten Foot-Wide’ Fai?

He was massive last season. From what I’ve seen he’s looking a bit fitter.

View attachment 4186

Leaner Jack Bird fit and primed to bounce back for Broncos

December 14, 2018

Jack Bird has made a formidable statement at the Broncos, shedding his excess kilos with a bumper pre-season in a bid to atone for his disappointing debut campaign at Red Hill.

Hailed as one of the most significant recruits in the club’s history, Bird endured a nightmare 2018 plagued by shoulder and sternum injuries which restricted his maiden Broncos season to just eight games.

Compounding Bird’s on-field woes, he was buffeted by off-field speculation, with the former NSW Origin utility repeatedly linked to a return to his former club the Sharks.

But the arrival of new coach Anthony Seibold is not the only sign of change at Red Hill as a leaner and meaner Bird sets his sights on justifying Brisbane’s $3.5 million recruitment gamble.

Crippled by two operations in nine months last season, Bird is now fit in body and mind. He has shed more than 5kg as he prepares for a return to the centre position that made him a premiership-winner at Cronulla in 2016.

Veteran forward Sam Tagataese played alongside Bird in the Sharks’ grand final victory before moving to Brisbane and he believes the 23-year-old will hit back at his critics in 2019.

“Jack has started really well in pre-season,” Tagataese said.

“Last season he had a couple of injuries that mentally he was struggling with and for him to overcome that and start afresh for 2019 is a big thing.

“Last year the big thing for Jack was just gelling with the team. He had to gain that camaraderie with the boys and we were getting to know the type of bloke that he is.

“We are trying to help him settle in and make him feel comfortable and thankfully all the injuries are behind him.

“Jack can now work towards getting better for the new season.”

The Broncos were planning to deploy Bird at left centre in a devastating strike force with right-side speed machine James Roberts before the shock sacking of former coach Wayne Bennett a fortnight ago.

Whether Bennett’s successor Seibold upholds that plan remains to be seen, but the one certainty is Bird cannot afford another poor season as one of Brisbane’s highest-paid players.

“It’s always important for any person to perform,” Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough said.

“There is an expectation when you come from another club to the Broncos as a marquee signing.

“Jack has had his own issues with injury so for him, he has come back injury-free and has set his mind on some goals and getting in the best shape he can be.

“I’m excited about Jack. As a player, I’m looking forward to seeing how he goes (next season).”

Bird has been linked with the Broncos No.6 jumper but skipper Darius Boyd believes he can be lethal out wide.

“Centre is his original spot,” Boyd said.

“At the Sharks he was very good at centre. Jack is competitive and wants to do his best for the team. He’s a good guy to have around so hopefully he can find a home in the centres next season.”

Source: Courier Mail
Call me an optimist but I get the feeling jack bird is going to have a MASSIVE year. People forget how good he is after the last 18 momths of injuries (he was playing injured for the sharks his last 6 months too). Bird was rated the best rookie for the year he debuted and for a number of years prior! The kid can play, injury free and with a piont to prove he will show a few people up no matter where he plays.

I predict he finishes top try scorer for the season.

I predict he finishes top try scorer for the season.

I’m willing to bet that the attention he draws out there will allow Roberts to score 30+ for the season.

Mate I’m a massive Seibold fan but seriously how long has he been there for?

Surely you don’t believe that Seibold has got him league fit in the space of 2 weeks

Twas a joke my friend. But you win the Murray Cod award for the day.

Active Now

• Nerd
  • Painin the Haas
  • Johnny92
  • Stix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • kat00
  • Behold
  • NSW stables
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Justwin
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Cavalo
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  • Strop
  • Midean
  • lynx000
... and 60 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.