Lockyer: It's time for Milford to earn his money

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Milforda 180316700

Darren Lockyer says it’s time for million dollar man Anthony Milford to earn his money in Brisbane

June 07, 2018

LEGENDARY Broncos five-eighth Darren Lockyer believes Anthony Milford is feeling the strain of being the club’s $1 million man and has urged him to work harder to ignite Brisbane’s season.

On the eve of Saturday night’s crucial Broncos-Sharks clash in Sydney, Lockyer says Milford needs to be mentally tougher to cope with the expectation of being the highest-paid player in Brisbane’s 30-year history.

In his fourth season at the Broncos, Milford is mired in the worst form slump of his Brisbane career and was outpointed by Maroons ace Cameron Munster in last week’s 32-16 loss to the Storm.

Now Milford faces another daunting scrumbase assignment, this time against Cronulla’s former NSW Origin pivot Matt Moylan, who is running into ominous form at his new club.

If anyone can understand the pressure of wearing the Broncos’ No.6 jumper made famous by Wally Lewis, it is Lockyer.

The 355-game icon was the last man to skipper Brisbane to a premiership in 2006 and says Milford needs to take more control to help the Broncos snap the longest title drought in the club’s history.

“The pressures of his big deal and playing at a big club is affecting Anthony,” Lockyer said.

“I’m not at training every day so I can’t answer if he has a great attitude, but most people, including Broncos fans, want to see more from Milford.

“The money just compounds the whole issue.

“The best players in our game, regardless of what they are on, respond to challenges and find a way to perform.

“That’s what makes the champions of our game. They have an attitude and a mental toughness about them that they perform under pressure.

“Milford and Kodi Nikorima (halfback partner) were quiet again last week and they need to be more assertive in the way they play.

“This is Anthony’s chance to hit back and prove to people he is capable of being the playmaker the Broncos need him to be.”

While Milford’s short kicking game has improved markedly this season, his offensive potency has been affected by Brisbane’s patchy form.

Milford hasn’t made a line break in his past 640 minutes of NRL and his running metres are down 25 per cent on last year’s average of 100m.

In 13 games so far this season, he has two try-assists, compared to 15 last year (from 23 games) and a career-best 16 from 26 games in 2016.

Lockyer believes Milford’s self-belief and game-management isn’t being helped by the collective inconsistency of his Broncos teammates.

“Milf, like the team, is doubting himself and that happens when you are down on confidence,” he said.

“That’s the space Anthony is in right now, he’s struggling for confidence.

“He’s obviously not in the form he is capable of. You don’t want to put too much pressure on the kid but the reality is when you get paid big money, there is pressure to perform

“The Broncos had won four of five before the Storm game but in my eyes there has only been one game, against the Roosters, where I felt they could do something this year.

“To turn things around, Anthony has to work harder during the week to give himself the best chance of success.”

Source: Courier Mail

He's improved parts of his game, but he's been really poor overall. His running game has become a joke, feels like someone like McGuire is more likely to make a linebreak than Milford these days.

I seem to recall Lockyer writing a similar article earlier this year. Possibly in the pre-season. I also seem to recall Lockyer writing a similar article last year.

Yeah , trying to gee him up . All our highly paid players are struggling, milf concerns me the most because he is going backwards.

Can't argue with anything Locky is saying in that article. Milford needs to get back to basics and do what he does best.......run the fucken thing.

Last edited:
Milf is being forced to be a halfback because we fucked up our recruitment. Bit awkward for Locky to write that though I guess...

Last edited:
Milf is being forced to be a halfback because we fucked up our recruitment. Bit awkward for Locky to write that though I guess...
Doesn’t help Wayne says from the get go Nikorima won’t be dropped.

He's made a dozen half breaks. Not sure if it's a lack of focus on his running game along with possibly any weight gain or just bad luck that people have managed to hang on to him

Telling him to run it is all well and good, but if he doesn't manage to break the line, how effective is it?

Last edited:
He's made a dozen half breaks. Not sure if it's a lack of focus on his running game along with possibly any weight gain or just bad luck that people have managed to hang on to him

Telling him to run it is all well and good, but if he doesn't manage to break the line, how effective is it?

Because you need to mix things up, running the ball puts the defense in two minds if your taking them on .

Hes not a Lockyer. Hes not going to turn into a legendary 5/8. Just let him run at fullback

Last edited:
Not sure Milf is the type of personality who will respond to this type of pressure - pressure tends to weight him down and he goes into his shell. He really needs a good half back alongside him.

Not sure Milf is the type of personality who will respond to this type of pressure - pressure tends to weight him down and he goes into his shell. He really needs a good half back alongside him.

Last thing we need is for Milly to have more weight...

Because you need to mix things up, running the ball puts the defense in two minds if your taking them on .

Well sure, and I don't expect him to break the line every time he does run the ball, but if he actually can't break, then teams won't fear him running. Obviously he needs to get a couple to get that back, but he's trying to play two positions and only runs 5-10 times a game and those runs aren't really producing anything. Not having a go at him, he's doing his best, and while his actual best is running the ball, unfortunately he's burdened with most of the kicking, which is where we have our biggest problem

I think tpj should also be played in the back row outside Milford permanently this season. This will automatically put the defence in two minds as to whether he goes short to tpj or can show and go. Not sure why Wayne didn't persist with this, it just adds a lot more threat in attack.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Spoon
  • Jazza
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mister Wright
  • Griffo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.