Lockyer: It's time for Milford to earn his money

Give him a genuine 7 to play next to and he will be our million dollar man. He didn’t sign up to be the only half in our team. He seems to cop a lot of shit because of the broncos failure to produce or recruit a 7. Instead we spend massive overs for a centre that has played a handful of games this year and produced us nothing.

Probably could have signed a halfback to suit him if he wasn't taking up so much of the salary cap though.. What came first, the chicken or the egg?

If milf doesn't respond with a blinder this game , then it would seem a attitude problem is present. With Morgan and possibly slater out milf could push for an origin 6 jumper next to hunt.

Milf was great in 2015... lots of reasons discussed in a whole bunch of other threads. He was BETTER is the first 5-6 rounds of 2016. He showed he can ball play. He got roughed up by the Sharks mid season and hasn’t really been the same since. Watching the highlights the major differences seem to be:

- he took the ball to the line more regularly. Now when he takes it to the line it is obvious he’s not going to pass it.. teams seem to know it - it’s predictable. I can’t remember him throwing too many intercepts.. so no idea what is going on there..
- he is more likely to run sideways if he is going to pass it (and often it is a handoff for an inside runner). He passes really early too - unless you’re passing to Jimmy.. it hasn’t really been effective.
- our offensive structure seemed to have more players in motion.. in 2016 Boyd was running inside milf a lot and it provided enough doubt in the defence’s minds..
- he has to kick more. So he’s thinking about where to be for the kick rather than following the ball.

The kid has the tools. He can run and he can ball play. I’d argue unless you’re a Tedesco of someone of that stature it’s hard to be a great ball runner or ball player if there is no doubt in the defence’s mind and to create doubt.. you need players in motion.

I get the feeling Milf is not the type of player that is going to be successful with plan a, plan b and plan c running around in his head. WB should just tell him to follow the ball (esp if tpj has it).

The problem as i see it is milf is a support man at his best. His line breaks come of offloads and quick play the ball. He was a sniffer who could capitalize on brocken play. He is focusing on play making now and callibg shots. He really needs someone else to be doing this.

Milf was great in 2015... lots of reasons discussed in a whole bunch of other threads. He was BETTER is the first 5-6 rounds of 2016. He showed he can ball play. He got roughed up by the Sharks mid season and hasn’t really been the same since. Watching the highlights the major differences seem to be:

- he took the ball to the line more regularly. Now when he takes it to the line it is obvious he’s not going to pass it.. teams seem to know it - it’s predictable. I can’t remember him throwing too many intercepts.. so no idea what is going on there..
- he is more likely to run sideways if he is going to pass it (and often it is a handoff for an inside runner). He passes really early too - unless you’re passing to Jimmy.. it hasn’t really been effective.
- our offensive structure seemed to have more players in motion.. in 2016 Boyd was running inside milf a lot and it provided enough doubt in the defence’s minds..
- he has to kick more. So he’s thinking about where to be for the kick rather than following the ball.

The kid has the tools. He can run and he can ball play. I’d argue unless you’re a Tedesco of someone of that stature it’s hard to be a great ball runner or ball player if there is no doubt in the defence’s mind and to create doubt.. you need players in motion.

I get the feeling Milf is not the type of player that is going to be successful with plan a, plan b and plan c running around in his head. WB should just tell him to follow the ball (esp if tpj has it).

I think this applies to how we play as a whole, particularly our 1-4 hitups. We either get told to follow the plan or we fall into the default but never stray from it despite it rarely working. Sure it's the tried-and-true way to play but you need to have some variance and not just stick 5-and-bomb or the sweep. We win off the back of one or two players pulling off the 'low percentage' plays and that's not sustainable and it shows

I reckon Milf will want outter here soon. Out of his contract and out of Brisbane. A huge waste of talent is what is going on here.

I reckon Milf will want outter here soon. Out of his contract and out of Brisbane. A huge waste of talent is what is going on here.

only if he want a pay cut ... with the way he's playing it would take a desperate team to pay him a million a season

only if he want a pay cut ... with the way he's playing it would take a desperate team to pay him a million a season
He's playing better now than he was when we signed hi... Oh

Isn't it weird that we are blaming Milford's poor form on the lack of a half back

and we are blaming the lack of a half back on poor recruitment/retention

this despite the vast majority of the forum glad we didn't retain Hunt ... and plenty of people around here screaming from the rooftops advocating for Nikorima and claiming we didn't need to go shopping for a halfback because we had Nikorima on our books.

now those same people are complaining that we either didn't go and get a halfback or do what it took to retain Hunt ...

hmmmm

Seems like we hardly look to offload now that we've lost Blair. It's like Bennett doesn't trust anyone else to do it now so we just tuck the ball under the arm and run head on into the defence. As a result, we have to play a more structured attacking game (which doesn't suit us) as opposed to a more off the cuff style which worked so well in 2015. The only time we look to offload is when the game is done and dusted and it's too late.

Given this season is starting to look like it's heading down the toilet, surely we can start playing a bit of football and see what happens. At least give the fans something to look forward to ffs

Milford has traded his running game for a muchly improved kicking game, because Knik is easily the worst kicking half in the comp.

Milford has traded his running game for a muchly improved kicking game, because Knik is easily the worst kicking half in the comp.

Why does it have to be a trade though? Any other player would just add something to their repertoire.

Why does it have to be a trade though? Any other player would just add something to their repertoire.

I think someone mentioned that milford can't be caught running on the 4th as he is obliged to be available to take the kick on the 5th. And you can't blame him because the few times it has happened knik has taken the kick and it is a shambles.

Get the milf a god damn halfback.

I think someone mentioned that milford can't be caught running on the 4th as he is obliged to be available to take the kick on the 5th. And you can't blame him because the few times it has happened knik has taken the kick and it is a shambles.

Get the milf a god damn halfback.

Why can't McCullough kick then? Smith used to get into first receiver for a kick. People praise McCullough for his kicking game, but he does it like once every 3 games.

Why can't McCullough kick then? Smith used to get into first receiver for a kick. People praise McCullough for his kicking game, but he does it like once every 3 games.

I guess that comes down to game planning and practicing that kind of play at training. Dare I say coaching as well.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Broncs1459
  • Jazza
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.