NEWS Lockyer ready to cop backlash if Broncos anoint Matt Lodge new captain

Totally against it , and I was one of his strongest supporters when most didn't want him here. Definitely have him in the leadership group but for one he's to young and I would much prefer someone who has been through our system.

Totally against it , and I was one of his strongest supporters when most didn't want him here. Definitely have him in the leadership group but for one he's to young and I would much prefer someone who has been through our system.

The only people who fit your criteria are the ones who are clearly past it / not guaranteed a starting spot next year / even have a contract for next year.

Who is your pick based on the players available?

The only people who fit your criteria are the ones who are clearly past it / not guaranteed a starting spot next year / even have a contract for next year.

Gillett for two years until he retires and then Carrigan for long term.

Last edited:

Gilletts current form shouldn't guarantee a starting spot ... and that's what making him captain essentially does

I would also put him in the not guaranteed a starting spot category.

I think Fifita and TPJ are our 2nd rowers going forward. Figuratively and literally.

Gillo or Glenn

Gillo or Glenn

Might be too early to say Gillo is past it but I think he may have been overtaken, and he’s not exactly someone blessed with the gift of the gab. And Alex Glenn isn’t even contracted to the broncos next season.

Gillett is not guaranteed a starting spot
Glenn hasn't even got a contract for next year at this stage
We need experience, lodge isn't the answer.
If boyd is still in the team keep him as captain we can't have a young coach, captain and players. We need guidance in all aspects, bring in experienced support staff and keep an experienced captain.

We need experience, lodge isn't the answer.
If boyd is still in the team keep him as captain we can't have a young coach, captain and players. We need guidance in all aspects, bring in experienced support staff and keep an experienced captain.

our actual best option for captain is one we can't give it to, as it will secure his place in the team forever ... and that player is Macca.

If Glenn signs on for next year, he would be the guy i would go with ... but like Gillett, probably not guaranteed a starting spot, and unlike NSW and the Knights have done in the past, our captain should not be starting from the bench IMO.

this leaves us a bit light on for options as based on this years performances, the only guaranteed starters should be: Lodge, Haas and Staggs

Might be too early to say Gillo is past it but I think he may have been overtaken, and he’s not exactly someone blessed with the gift of the gab. And Alex Glenn isn’t even contracted to the broncos next season.
Well they need to make a call because they need someone with experience in the C.
[automerge]1569463629[/automerge]
our actual best option for captain is one we can't give it to, as it will secure his place in the team forever ... and that player is Macca.

If Glenn signs on for next year, he would be the guy i would go with ... but like Gillett, probably not guaranteed a starting spot, and unlike NSW and the Knights have done in the past, our captain should not be starting from the bench IMO.

this leaves us a bit light on for options as based on this years performances, the only guaranteed starters should be: Lodge, Haas and Staggs
Agree we are definitely light on options but it's just silly to give such a young team a inexperienced captain aswell imo

Last edited:
Gillett is not guaranteed a starting spot
Glenn hasn't even got a contract for next year at this stage

If Gillo recaptures some form it would not surprise me to see him lineup in the second row with TPJ providing impact off the bench. Mind you he will still be off the field for a fair portion of the game, which is not exactly ideal for a captain.
[automerge]1569464492[/automerge]
Glenn to me is the obvious choice, but he may not be here. In an ideal world, Glenn captain, Lodge vice captain, and seeing as Glenn will probably be a bench player at best, Lodge will have the main duties anyway.

That might just be a loophole you've discovered @Wolfie

Last edited:
For those advocating Glenn...you guys have heard him speak right?

Happy to send Adam Blair back to fill your guys leadership vacuum. Will throw in Kearney for free as a buy 1 get 1 free deal.

Last edited:
Well they need to make a call because they need someone with experience in the C.
[automerge]1569463629[/automerge]

Agree we are definitely light on options but it's just silly to give such a young team a inexperienced captain aswell imo
Agree about the experienced C but Boyd is not the answer

Gillett will walk into the starting team for Qld next year, never mind us. He’s the only choice for captain that makes any sense.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • LGH
  • Johnny92
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • peter09
  • Aldo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.