Lockyer switch to Fullback in 2010?

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
666 said:
I remember all the no no comments when Lockyer got shifted to 6, if he gets shifted back it wont take him long to have people eating humble pie again.

As for the agility and speed comments, I'm sorry must have been watching a different K Hunt play for the Broncos, because he wasn't any faster or agile than Lockyer is now.

For the record - I applauded the decision. It was something we HAD to do. 2003 was a good representation of why it had to. Hence the switch was made in 04. A stroke of genius and it only took 2 years to gain a title and imo would have went pretty far in 07 if he didnt get injured and of course 08 speaks for itself and 09 we make the last 4. [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

This is different. Why would we want to put him there? It is totally out of context. Personally - I think Ivan just said "it is an option" just for the heck of it. If he is SERIOUSLY considering it then he is out of his mind.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
abdogg said:
Coxy said:
Are you also excited about the headline "Ben Hunt signs with Manly"?

Ben Hunt has been given a few chances already..... hopefully he makes the most of his next chance and doesn't turn into a Nick Parfitt type player (really good in QLD cup but very average in the NRL)

Come on! He's had a go during Origin with all the best players away, and then he's had a late call up to replace an injured player. Hardly what you'd consider "getting a chance".

He needs to get some consistent game time off the bench like Lockyer did in 1995-96.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Locky back to fullback? NO

Tim Smith? He had ONE really good season at Parramatta. His second season he was seriously found out (like a lot of players who have a stellar first season), then the off-field dramas started, then the revelations of Bi-polar, then off for treatment and then a stint in the UK where he didn't exactly set the RL world on fire. Sure if he can show decent form and our current halves are not performing (or are injured etc) then bring him in. But at this stage my preference is certainly for us to be looking at B Hunt as our long term next half option and hope that he is developed properly and given appropriate genuine opportunities.

M

mal

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
broncospwn said:
Coxy said:
*Cringe* Locky? Fullback? No no no no no.
x2.
He's too fragile IMO, I don't want to see him get hurt :(

As opposed to attacking and defending in the frontline?...... how would he get hurt from fullback?

I'm not here nor there with the idea. If he plays fullback, his defensive load is limited. When we attack he can chime in when he feels the need or sees something from the back. On the con side, we lose the best 5/8th in the world.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
My concerns about him getting hurt are in terms of trying to catch a bomb with 2 or 3 chasers coming through to smash him. Fullbacks tend to be very lonely in those situations!

M

mal

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
My concerns about him getting hurt are in terms of trying to catch a bomb with 2 or 3 chasers coming through to smash him. Fullbacks tend to be very lonely in those situations!

I've seen him get pummelled pretty hard when his outside men run a bad line and he can't pass.. there is obviously going to be pros and cons for both of them. Who knows, I think this is all getting blown out of proportion I don't think we will see Lockyer in the 1 next year.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Also - its about getting smashed from the kick returns as well. Lockyer may use his wingers but obviously there are kicks which would isolate him. He'd be next to useless against a united line... Hodgson style.

A

Abe The Cop

QCup Player
Mar 13, 2008
He'd fit back in at fullback easily, but i'd rather keep him in the halves. Five Beale or someone a go at fullback.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Look for the record, he won't be 'that' bad. He IS the Lockyer after all. However, the logic behind this doesn't add up for mine.

We'd be looking at a tactic restructure only for it to be restructured again when he moves on?

We have a chance to give a young gun two years of priceless experience at FB with Locky at 6. Totally makes sense to me.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Anonymous person said:
as great as lockyer is, he wouldnt be a great fullback anymore, hes just too slow, and his tackling has gotten worse over the years. he was the best one-on-one tackling fullback in the game, but now he falls off every second tackle.

Agreed about his speed - the best part of his game now is his vision, whereas it used to be his running back in the day.

Disagree about tackling though. On the whole he's an extremely effective defender IMO. He very rarely misses tackles which lead to linebreaks or the other team scoring tries. He might not complete many and that could look bad in the stats, but if he slows down a rampaging forward or centre or something just enough so that other Broncos defenders arrive to put him down, that's good enough for me.

Look at Karmichael on Fui Fui this year. Classed asa missed tackle one on one, but the big truck was moving at a hell of a speed. Karmichael's "missed tackle" looked bad in the stats, but because of his technique and effort Fui got pulled down by three defenders who wouldn't have made it otherwise.

Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story. Most of the time, even.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well said Mick. I get sick of people highlighting "missed tackle counts", and tackle counts for that matter...especially loser forwards like Fitzgibbon and Johnson who are 90% of the time the third man in.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
how would it go having Locky Play full back in attack and have someone else drop down in defence?

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
the only thing Hunts charge on Moi Moi was good for is making everyone laugh at how pitiful his one-on-one defense is/was lol.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Moi Moi carried 4-5 people over the line for tries on a regular basis. Hunt isnt superman he knew if he tried a normal tackle he'd get trampled. Like Coxy said it saved a try

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Anonymous person said:
the only thing Hunts charge on Moi Moi was good for is making everyone laugh at how pitiful his one-on-one defense is/was lol.

If your telling us that Slater could have done better at stopping Moi Moi, you are delusional.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
In fairness, he hasn't even mentioned Slater. But he will now! Thanks Foordy! :P

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Astro
  • Culhwch
  • pennywisealfie
  • IceWorks
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Shane Tronc
  • Galah
  • Old Mate
  • Johnny92
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Rowdy124
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Manofoneway
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.