Lockyer's best years?

I have no doubt Bennett tried to take more players with him, he's taken half the dragons with him to Newcastle.

He cares for the Broncos's mate, doesn't give a rats about St George. He still talks about the Broncos as 'us' and 'we' in pressers.

In fact he had very little to do with poaching any of the St George players, its an unfortunate misconception out there. Cositgan was already there, McKinnon wanted to go home and I believe was a done deal even before WB, Scott was asking too much and the Sharks had been shopping Smith around for a while. The less said about Boyd the better.

Better the devil you know, eh?

He is God, if he wanted to take players - he would have.

Bennett took the conditioner with him and it's been reported he tried to take Glenn with him too.

If anything, he played a major role in the Bulldogs signing all our players in 08/09.

In fact he had very little to do with poaching any of the St George players

do you really believe that? So its just a coincidence that like 8 players who played under bennett in his 3 years at St George all ended up at Newcastle within 12 months of him moving there?

He cares for the Broncos's mate, doesn't give a rats about St George. He still talks about the Broncos as 'us' and 'we' in pressers.

In fact he had very little to do with poaching any of the St George players, its an unfortunate misconception out there. Cositgan was already there, McKinnon wanted to go home and I believe was a done deal even before WB, Scott was asking too much and the Sharks had been shopping Smith around for a while. The less said about Boyd the better.

Better the devil you know, eh?

He is God, if he wanted to take players - he would have.

Too true. I actually thought he was going to come back to the broncs before signing with newcastle based solely on the fact that at every press conference he referred to the broncos as 'us'

2006 would have to be the highlight of his Rugby League life. Guiding Brisbane to a seemingly impossible premiership win after being bashed in the media. Guiding QLD to their 1st Origin series win in 5 years after being savaged by injuries, badluck and despair and scoring the winning try in the trinations final.

do you really believe that? So its just a coincidence that like 8 players who played under bennett in his 3 years at St George all ended up at Newcastle within 12 months of him moving there?

I am fairly certain Scott just wanted to follow Bennett too.

WB did some great things for us but I actually think its sad to see the Dragons premiership team being rebadged the way it is. Boyd I will actually forgive because coaches always have their favorites but in all honesty Bennett seemed very reluctant to actually work with what he had when he first arrived.

At this stage of his career, Bennett really doesn't have anything more to prove which is why he's resting on his laurels instead of adapting and trying to build on the strengths at Newcastle.

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed he's just going to take his Dragons brand to the Knights because it's going to mean another boring team playing in the competition. However, can't blame him and if he brings them success he deserves the adulation that comes with such a feat.

As interesting a character as Bennett is, this is a Lockyer thread. If you want to discuss all things Bennett please feel free to post your own thread and go nuts but for now let's marvel at the career of one of the game's best ever players.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.