NEWS Lodge: love you Brisbane

Matthew Lodge has another year on his $700,000 (rumoured) contract, and two more as options. Coach Kevin Walters has invited him to leave to free up some cap space, but Matt wants to remain and prove his worth:

“To be honest, I love it here. I owe a lot to this club for giving me another chance. I‘m always grateful to be at the Broncos. I came here four years ago with a 20kg suitcase and I was on Centrelink payments, so whatever happens happens. I don‘t want to leave the club. I will play as hard as I can and give my all until the day I walk out of here.”

“I don’t know what’s going on. I will keep our chat private, you can ask Kevvie what he said to me. He is obviously still thinking about things and obviously they want to sign a halfback and he has made that clear to me."

Screen34369136 1872601766118268 6380234382757593088 n

Cult following

“Something has to give with the salary cap, but I’ll be giving 100 per cent as long as I am at this club. Four years ago, I had nothing and my career was up in the air. I don’t know what happens but as long as I keep playing well there is hope for me. I never not turn up. I always try and play hard for the Broncos jumper so as long as I’m here, I won’t be letting the club down. I’m happy to put my body on the line and I care about the club so I’ll be trying my best for Kevvie. Hopefully I can stay here a while yet.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr:

“Lodgey has put three or four good games together and we’ve seen what he can do in the middle. With his charges in the middle, he inspires all of us. Hopefully he can stay but it’s up to him and the club.”

McHunt

It's essentially asking him to commit to a further two years at a 2/3rd reduction in pay. Nobody's going to do that.
It's also guaranteeing more total money over a longer period. This can also lead to off field roles after his career. It's something the club should absolutely be trying.

Unless we can get a good trade for him, he is better value to us staying. With Roosters and Penrith trying to get him I'd be offering him as a trade for people like Manu or Staines.

Matthew Lodge has another year on his $700,000 (rumoured) contract, and two more as options. Coach Kevin Walters has invited him to leave to free up some cap space, but Matt wants to remain and prove his worth:

“To be honest, I love it here. I owe a lot to this club for giving me another chance. I‘m always grateful to be at the Broncos. I came here four years ago with a 20kg suitcase and I was on Centrelink payments, so whatever happens happens. I don‘t want to leave the club. I will play as hard as I can and give my all until the day I walk out of here.”

“I don’t know what’s going on. I will keep our chat private, you can ask Kevvie what he said to me. He is obviously still thinking about things and obviously they want to sign a halfback and he has made that clear to me."

View attachment 12794
Cult following

“Something has to give with the salary cap, but I’ll be giving 100 per cent as long as I am at this club. Four years ago, I had nothing and my career was up in the air. I don’t know what happens but as long as I keep playing well there is hope for me. I never not turn up. I always try and play hard for the Broncos jumper so as long as I’m here, I won’t be letting the club down. I’m happy to put my body on the line and I care about the club so I’ll be trying my best for Kevvie. Hopefully I can stay here a while yet.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr:

“Lodgey has put three or four good games together and we’ve seen what he can do in the middle. With his charges in the middle, he inspires all of us. Hopefully he can stay but it’s up to him and the club.”

McHunt

Sounds like a very smart piece of politics by Lodge with those comments. Forcing him out after these comments would make the club look bad.

Yes absolutely, if I felt I was overpaid and bringing in another team member would take large amounts of pressure off my shoulders and result in an outcome that I’d be proud of instead of being the laughing stock of my industry.
I doubt there's any circumstances where I felt overpaid or would I ask to have my wage reduced. I'd simply say, find another way. Couldn't care less who laughed. Most people spend as much time thinking about me as I do them.

If he didn't beat the shit out of that family in NY he would be at another club by now, he's definitely one of the better props in the league on his day

I would happily keep him....If he's able to reinvent his game to work well with the new rules. It's no easy task, that much is certain. As it is right now, he isn't jiving well with the modern competition, so until he can prove otherwise, it's in the best interest of the club to let him go.

The fact that he needs to come out and make tactical comments like these speaks volumes that he isn't confident that he can evolve to be effective in the modern game. It's clear that no other club is interested for that reason, so once again we find ourselves in a position where we have a player taking up a substantial amount of cap space that is otherwise next to useless.

I realize it isn't his fault, but it is what it is. We can't control what V'landal and his lackeys decide to do. They have basically made the big metre eating prop forward obsolete (Haas being the exception who is just a natural freak). Even Taumalolo has been blunted by it.

Why would we pay prob 300-400k p/yr for him to play elsewhere? It makes no sense.
Who would replace him?
Hopefully this isn’t Kevvie giving into what Tallis wants.
But it just doesn’t make sense.

Why would we pay prob 300-400k p/yr for him to play elsewhere? It makes no sense.
Who would replace him?
Hopefully this isn’t Kevvie giving into what Tallis wants.
But it just doesn’t make sense.
I believe the ONLY reason Lodge is being targeted for release are the player options he has for 22 and 23. I'd go further and say the Broncos will make him a more attractive option by chipping in one or two hundred thousand. I don't think there's any dissatisfaction with his performance or the invitation to **** off comes because they don't rate him. I believe it's 100% a financial move.

I don't think the 6 again rule has changed the landscape for Lodge but not for other big guys. I think it's a erroneous perception that some have jumped on and was a theory entirely based on Lodge playing on a severely injured leg last year. In a beaten team this year he has handled the role as well as any other big guy. Haas's endurance is the gold standard and while it's true Lodge cannot match that I can't think of any other prop who can either.

I doubt there's any circumstances where I felt overpaid or would I ask to have my wage reduced. I'd simply say, find another way. Couldn't care less who laughed. Most people spend as much time thinking about me as I do them.
For what it’s worth, I’m definitely not entitled enough as a fan to expect Lodge to take a cut. I personally think the club should honour his contract and that he should continue to play as he has.

I’m just saying that there are definitely circumstances where I would take a pay cut. Especially if I knew my employer was bound to a limited amount they could pay and it wasn’t a case of them trying to save money.

From a football perspective i think letting him go would be a bad move. An engine room of Hass, Flegler, Carrigan, Bullemore etc, while they're starting to get some games and experience under there belt is just a little too immature.

If we were to get rid of him you would have to get in another mid range replacement with a bit of experience and ability to do the hard yards.

Removing lodge and promoting Asiata to the starting side would be a possibility but I'd like to see him thrown in first to make sure he can handle the crash and bash thats required. No doubt if we move lodge on we would have a warchest worth of money but he would have to be replaced.

Who's some decent off contract no frills middle forward we could get in for 400-500k to replace him?

From a football perspective i think letting him go would be a bad move. An engine room of Hass, Flegler, Carrigan, Bullemore etc, while they're starting to get some games and experience under there belt is just a little too immature.

If we were to get rid of him you would have to get in another mid range replacement with a bit of experience and ability to do the hard yards.

Removing lodge and promoting Asiata to the starting side would be a possibility but I'd like to see him thrown in first to make sure he can handle the crash and bash thats required. No doubt if we move lodge on we would have a warchest worth of money but he would have to be replaced.

Who's some decent off contract no frills middle forward we could get in for 400-500k to replace him?
maybe ese'ese

If Flegler's rumoured pay is correct he is the one to get rif of. Lodge is giving way more bang for buck than Flegler & there's only 100k difference in their respective pay packets.
You're correct about Lodge being better value, that's why it's only him that's likely able to be moved on because someone else might actually want to pick up some or most of his contract.

You can't say the same about Flegler and therefor moving him on isn't likely to be an option.

You're correct about Lodge being better value, that's why it's only him that's likely able to be moved on because someone else might actually want to pick up some or most of his contract.

You can't say the same about Flegler and therefor moving him on isn't likely to be an option.
Didn’t the dogs have the hots for Flegler?

Kennedy is perfectly able to replicate Lodge's contribution in my humble opinion. I believe he started for us last year on at least one occasion and did his job.

Unread

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Porthoz
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.