NEWS Lodge: love you Brisbane

Matthew Lodge has another year on his $700,000 (rumoured) contract, and two more as options. Coach Kevin Walters has invited him to leave to free up some cap space, but Matt wants to remain and prove his worth:

“To be honest, I love it here. I owe a lot to this club for giving me another chance. I‘m always grateful to be at the Broncos. I came here four years ago with a 20kg suitcase and I was on Centrelink payments, so whatever happens happens. I don‘t want to leave the club. I will play as hard as I can and give my all until the day I walk out of here.”

“I don’t know what’s going on. I will keep our chat private, you can ask Kevvie what he said to me. He is obviously still thinking about things and obviously they want to sign a halfback and he has made that clear to me."

Screen34369136 1872601766118268 6380234382757593088 n

Cult following

“Something has to give with the salary cap, but I’ll be giving 100 per cent as long as I am at this club. Four years ago, I had nothing and my career was up in the air. I don’t know what happens but as long as I keep playing well there is hope for me. I never not turn up. I always try and play hard for the Broncos jumper so as long as I’m here, I won’t be letting the club down. I’m happy to put my body on the line and I care about the club so I’ll be trying my best for Kevvie. Hopefully I can stay here a while yet.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr:

“Lodgey has put three or four good games together and we’ve seen what he can do in the middle. With his charges in the middle, he inspires all of us. Hopefully he can stay but it’s up to him and the club.”

McHunt

Kennedy is perfectly able to replicate Lodge's contribution in my humble opinion. I believe he started for us last year on at least one occasion and did his job.
Kennedy's not even close to Lodge, they're in different ballparks unless Kennedy improves 2x but he would easily be as good as Flegler for a third of the price.

Find a club who would be willing to take on 500k for Flegler, extend Kennedy for 2 years at 250k/x2 years, and we'll do really well.

Kennedy's not even close to Lodge, they're in different ballparks unless Kennedy improves 2x but he would easily be as good as Flegler for a third of the price.

Find a club who would be willing to take on 500k for Flegler, extend Kennedy for 2 years at 250k/x2 years, and we'll do really well.
Agree with this, this would be the smart play.

I'm thinking $400k looks more like the top dollar Flegler would attract at the moment. His stocks would have to be fairly low indeed at this point.

I'm thinking $400k looks more like the top dollar Flegler would attract at the moment. His stocks would have to be fairly low indeed at this point.
It's hard to say really, he had plenty of club chasing him at the time so another club might fancy him at 500k.

Even at 400k we'd be saving 150k if we give Kennedy the spot instead.

It's a risk because Flegler could go on to become a star prop but I honestly think he's about 2-3 years away from being a 500k+ prop if he does have the next level in him.

I think between Haas, Lodge and Carrigan, we should be filling the remaining middle forwards with budget props.

Not even close?
Okay, I'm going to ask how this is measured. Seriously, if you could explain how Lodge is twice as good I'd be more likely to understand such an outrageous claim.

What exactly does Lodge have that is so vastly superior? Please be specific and provide examples if it's not too much trouble. I rate Lodge but I cannot see much difference but you clearly can and whatever it is, as oblivious as I must be, it must be easily identifiable for you to claim that which you have. Please, just show me facts and let's not go with feelings.

I believe the ONLY reason Lodge is being targeted for release are the player options he has for 22 and 23. I'd go further and say the Broncos will make him a more attractive option by chipping in one or two hundred thousand. I don't think there's any dissatisfaction with his performance or the invitation to **** off comes because they don't rate him. I believe it's 100% a financial move.

I think there's two reasons and this is one of them. I think the other is Lodge is simply the more attractive option to other clubs and therefore the "easier sell".

I could be remembering wrong but wasn't Fleg shopped around last year with no takers? Or am I thinking of when we were in the process of re-signing him and the Dogs were sniffing around?

Not even close?
Okay, I'm going to ask how this is measured. Seriously, if you could explain how Lodge is twice as good I'd be more likely to understand such an outrageous claim.

What exactly does Lodge have that is so vastly superior? Please be specific and provide examples if it's not too much trouble. I rate Lodge but I cannot see much difference but you clearly can and whatever it is, as oblivious as I must be, it must be easily identifiable for you to claim that which you have. Please, just show me facts and let's not go with feelings.
You can't judge a player on facts alone.

But I'll play your game.

2021 last 4 games average:
Kennedy:
5.75 runs, 57.25 metres, 12 tackles average, 73.8% tackle efficiency.
Lodge:
13.5 runs, 114.75 metres, 23 tackles average. 86.4% tackle efficiency.

You can't judge a player on facts alone.

But I'll play your game.

2021 last 4 games average:
Kennedy:
5.75 runs, 57.25 metres, 12 tackles average, 73.8% tackle efficiency.
Lodge:
13.5 runs, 114.75 metres, 23 tackles average. 86.4% tackle efficiency.
Err, you left out minutes, try assists, off loads, and metres gained per hitup. You know, evidence of the enormous superiority of Lodge's contributions. I mean if Lodge was twice as good his average metres per hitup would be twice those of Kennedy, right? Also, average post contact metres would be twice so, if you could just pop those onto the screen I will totally tell the world you're on the money.

Also, another quick question, why can't you judge a player on facts alone?? I'd think that'd be the place to start!! You know, facts, that which is true, accurate and evidential. If what you say is true then the facts must surely be your ally?

Err, you left out minutes, try assists, off loads, and metres gained per hitup. You know, evidence of the enormous superiority of Lodge's contributions. I mean if Lodge was twice as good his average metres per hitup would be twice those of Kennedy, right? Also, average post contact metres would be twice so, if you could just pop those onto the screen I will totally tell the world you're on the money.

Also, another quick question, why can't you judge a player on facts alone?? I'd think that'd be the place to start!! You know, facts, that which is true, accurate and evidential. If what you say is true then the facts must surely be your ally?
That's a lot of work to find minutes and average metres to minutes, but if you're happy to post them we could discuss it further.

Because facts don't tell the whole story. How do you balance stats against Lodge starting games where the hardest metres are made against fresh opposition packs, and also against the opposition's best forwards. Kennedy comes on in later stints against tired opposition bench forwards.

How do you measure fitness? Lodge can have 15 run games, does Kennedy have the stamina? He certainly hasn't proven it.

Kennedy is a fine budget player but he's not in the Lodge category. One guy had Bennett and multiple clubs chasing his signature, one was a Seibold signing who had no interest elsewhere and is just on the cusp of being a regular first grader now at 26.

That's a lot of work to find minutes and average metres to minutes, but if you're happy to post them we could discuss it further.

Because facts don't tell the whole story. How do you balance stats against Lodge starting games where the hardest metres are made against fresh opposition packs, and also against the opposition's best forwards. Kennedy comes on in later stints against tired opposition bench forwards.

How do you measure fitness? Lodge can have 15 run games, does Kennedy have the stamina? He certainly hasn't proven it.

Kennedy is a fine budget player but he's not in the Lodge category. One guy had Bennett and multiple clubs chasing his signature, one was a Seibold signing who had no interest elsewhere and is just on the cusp of being a regular first grader now at 26.
Fair enough. I don't think your last paragraph means much your first has merit. I can compare Kennedy though because he has started against fresh packs and we have that data and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it either. Secondly he's coming on against the oppositions fresh props and forwards so that argument isn't really strong.

I acknowledge Lodge is the better rated prop but claiming Kennedy is light years behind or a couple classes below is unfair in my opinion. I respect your right to that opinion but vehemently disagree. I think he's winning posters over and I think he's winning at work too. I believe he's catching the eye with KW and his staff and he's possibly just a late bloomer, no bad thing for a prop. I won't be surprised if he gets upgraded or attracts an external offer.

Anyway, the season has a while to go and if I'm proven correct I know you'll be amongst the first to acknowledge it. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

This is a really solid point. Sometimes numbers tell a clear story and in some instances they don't.

For example, on raw numbers alone there are not a great deal of statistics that would paint Shane Webcke as one of, if not THE best Prop Forward of his generation. Yet if you'd spent any length of time watching him play, it's as obvious as the sky is blue that this guy was absolutely elite and in many instances was just in a class of his own.

That first hitup off the kickoff that goes 4 metres might not sound like much statistically but with 4-5 opposition Forwards running at you and having 30-40 metres of time to absolutely line you up, I'll be damned if that isn't the hardest 4 metres anybody makes all game and Webcke was elite at this.

This is a really solid point. Sometimes numbers tell a clear story and in some instances they don't.

For example, on raw numbers alone there are not a great deal of statistics that would paint Shane Webcke as one of, if not THE best Prop Forward of his generation. Yet if you'd spent any length of time watching him play, it's as obvious as the sky is blue that this guy was absolutely elite and in many instances was just in a class of his own.

That first hitup off the kickoff that goes 4 metres might not sound like much statistically but with 4-5 opposition Forwards running at you and having 30-40 metres of time to absolutely line you up, I'll be damned if that isn't the hardest 4 metres anybody makes all game and Webcke was elite at this.
Oh for the halcyon days when our middles cherished ball security.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Splinter
  • winslow_wong
  • AscotinOz
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Brocko
  • bb_gun
  • MrMoore
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosgirl
  • cento
  • MrRobot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.