NEWS Long awaited rebuild pencilled in for next year

The Shit Factory is pounding its meat today over the prospect of Kevvie sausage-mincing half the roster. The club has 13 players coming off contract and more than $3 million to splash, and that's not counting the billions of Dobbobux they have under the table. With the start to the season already ranking as the worst since Federation, nerves are twitchy.

Players coming off contract include
Alex Glenn, Kotoni Staggs, Anthony Milford, Jesse Arthars, John Asiata, Xavier Coates, Dale Copley, Tom Dearden, Danny Levi, David Mead, Tesi Niu, Keenan Palasia and Ben Te’o.

Pin the tail

Where the darts landed.

The chief manure dispenser thinks Coates, Staggs, Dearden and Niu are safe - unless Dearden runs off to join the Cowboys circus. He thinks currently contracted players at risk of being turfed if they don't shape up include Matt Lodge, Corey Oates, Brodie Croft, Tom Flegler, Richie Kennar and Rhys Kennedy. Te'o and Glenn are likely to pass through the gates of Rugby League heaven.

Meanwhile, Walters appears cool with the progress of
Payne Haas, Pat Carrigan, Herbie Farnworth, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Jamayne Isaako, Ethan Bullemor and Jake Turpin. While Jordan Riki and Brendan Piakura both recently signed for three-years.

Kevin Walters confirms:

“I am doing that, definitely. A little bit has to happen for us to do what we want to do with this roster. We have played some good teams so far this season and I now have a fair idea in my head of what I want to do, who I want to keep, and I’m working towards that over the next month or so.”

Kevvie's got this

“If you wear a seven jumper these days you are linked to the Broncos, so that’s part of it. We are a big club, we are a strong club. It’s great to know other players want to come and play at the Broncos, that’s what it is all about.”

“I’m more than happy to be working with the current roster we have and it’s my job to get some more improvement out of the players. The roster in every organisation is a work in progress. Some rosters are more stable than others but everyone is always looking to improve their rosters and we’re the same.”

Corey Parker said:

“For me, the No.1 priority for the Broncos is a top-shelf playmaker. They need to get a stable, established halfback. The Cowboys have bought Chad Townsend and I think that is a perfect purchase. He has played almost 200 games and won a premiership, he is a great professional and will steer the Cowboys around."

“I also think the Broncos need a fullback. If they don’t have the salary-cap space and want to persist with Jamayne Isaako at 1, that is fine, but the next target should be signing a mobile, smaller No.13."

“With where the game is going and what the Broncos currently have on their roster, they are missing a mobile lock who can created some ruck speed in midfield."

“I love a lot of things Jake Turpin does at hooker, his work-rate, toughness, tenacity and commitment is unquestioned, but he isn’t the most creative No.9. If the Broncos don’t have a creative nine, they can benefit from a creative 13 such as Cameron Murray, Isaah Yeo, Nathan Brown and Victor Radley. Nathan Brown is still off-contract, so someone like him would be ideal.”

“In 2015, when we made the grand final at the Broncos under Wayne Bennett — and ‘Kevvie’ was there as his assistant — our identity, our style was flat and fast. We used to have a set called the flat-fast set. Everyone would push up through the middle third and we would tear up the advantage line. If we got a fast play the ball, we took off through the middle and created space out wide. Kevin Walters needs to identify the style of football he wants to play ... and then buy players to fit into his style at the Broncos.”

Michael Ennis said:

“There’s no doubt that it’s a huge time for Kev at the club. They’ve had an awful amount of no success in that last 18 months and they just can’t keep persisting with what they’re doing at the moment. There’s some big names and I think absolutely some of them won’t be at Brisbane next year."

“Brodie hasn’t been able to fire since he came from the Storm. Reynolds or Moses, they have to land one of them. Brisbane has always, forever and a day, attracted the big-name players. They’ve got to land a Reynolds or a Moses, they have to. Capewell has been terrific at Penrith but will he leave there? Su’a has been terrific at Souths, yes he wants to go back to Queensland as we understand, so I can understand that.”

Benji Marshall said:

“They’ve never had to pay overs to get players. In the past people have been happy to go to Brisbane and genuinely been happy to take unders to go to a successful team. But at the moment it looks like they’re going to have to pay overs to get players there.”

McHunt

Yeah, good point. We should just sign 6-7 rep players, because that's completely possible. I'm sure we can just ask half our contracted players to quit.

Yeah you are right, we should just keep sticking with our plodders, that $3 million we apparently have available at the end of the season, let's use it entirely to bring on board Manu, a second-rower and reward 11 of those wooden spoon winning squad players with upgrades.

Yeah you are right, we should just keep sticking with our plodders, that $3 million we apparently have available at the end of the season, let's use it entirely to bring on board Manu, a second-rower and reward 11 of those wooden spoon winning squad players with upgrades.
You live in fairy land if you think we are a chance of signing a big bag of stars. Unless you're keen to just over pay a couple and **** our cap for another 5+ years.

I'm okay with that list of safes and not safes with the exception of Isaako, he's been horrible apart from that one game against the Bulldogs

we dont need stars, 13 NRL quality first graders is what we need....

Take the big names out of the equation, there is actually quite a lot of these types available...

Maybe try that first, steady the ship, improve year after year....then the stars will come...

we dont need stars, 13 NRL quality first graders is what we need....

Take the big names out of the equation, there is actually quite a lot of these types available...

Maybe try that first, steady the ship, improve year after year....then the stars will come...
I actually believe the next big three or Ipswich connection will come from a Tier 2 nation or England.

I also think they would react and respond better to Kevie's style of culture rebuild and playing with pride. They would probably suit Kevie's development plans too.

But we have a fair few of those players you mentioned already.

Carrigan, Bullemor and Flegler will drive us mad from time to time, but they will get there. Add Hass to that and there's the prop rotation. Just simplify it, Hass and Carrigan start, Bullemor and Flegler bench. Develop Bullemor to play more like Carrigan, Flegler more like Hass. Bring youth players in under them as depth.

Riki and Piakura in the second row. Then maybe try pick up Lachlan Lewis. I could see him developing into a better Mitch Aubbussen style utility off the bench, capable of playing second row, half, Fullback lock or centre if an injury occurs. As well as Dummy Half.

The current 3/4 line is functional as is, but I would move Herbie to Fullback and put Kennar, Copley or even Karmichael Hunt back in with Mead, and start developing new centres in I.S.C now. Along with a Radley style lock.

Herbie to Fullback can be tried and tested before next year, but they would need to be able to admit it if it didn't work. But I think it will.

Wow, that was a bit long winded. But the foundations of a good team are there.

I actually believe the next big three or Ipswich connection will come from a Tier 2 nation or England.

I also think they would react and respond better to Kevie's style of culture rebuild and playing with pride. They would probably suit Kevie's development plans too.

But we have a fair few of those players you mentioned already.

Carrigan, Bullemor and Flegler will drive us mad from time to time, but they will get there. Add Hass to that and there's the prop rotation. Just simplify it, Hass and Carrigan start, Bullemor and Flegler bench. Develop Bullemor to play more like Carrigan, Flegler more like Hass. Bring youth players in under them as depth.

Riki and Piakura in the second row. Then maybe try pick up Lachlan Lewis. I could see him developing into a better Mitch Aubbussen style utility off the bench, capable of playing second row, half, Fullback lock or centre if an injury occurs. As well as Dummy Half.

The current 3/4 line is functional as is, but I would move Herbie to Fullback and put Kennar, Copley or even Karmichael Hunt back in with Mead, and start developing new centres in I.S.C now. Along with a Radley style lock.

Herbie to Fullback can be tried and tested before next year, but they would need to be able to admit it if it didn't work. But I think it will.

Wow, that was a bit long winded. But the foundations of a good team are there.
I think your not wrong with Lewis, his defence is good enough to be a lock in this new look game, has the ball playing and kicking to fit that style of player. Young Walter is also likely able to do that job also, but not sure if he can tackle.

I'm honestly not too concerned about FB. There's always quality outside backs coming through the NRL and I'm confident we could poach the right one with the right recruitment strategy in place. Look at CNK, Walsh and Laurie - it's only a matter of time before another young kid comes through looking for a start. We just have to be on the front foot with getting them in the door when we see the opportunity.

I agree with others that we should be prioritising halves as getting this side off the bottom of the ladder will be more dependent on a 7 & 6 rather than a FB.

The most obvious signing to me is Drinkwater. 1) he won't be first choice at his current club in 2022, 2) he will be relatively cheap, 3) he covers multiple spine positions.

Reynolds or SJ would be perfect foil at 7. No need to go into the reasons why as their quality is already evident. Throw the kitty at them provided it's not a long term deal.

No interest in bringing Su'A back. If he's regressing under Wayne then it's a big no from me. I worry Capewell will be a bidding war and I don't think he's worth hitching our wagon to if he's chasing big bucks. If we can get him cheap then for sure he'd be a great signing.

This would excite me for 2022 and is somewhat realistic.
1. Farnworth
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Niu
5. Coates
6. Drinkwater
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Carrigan

If we can pick up a decent second-choice FB from another club (say a Hammer, Ramsay, or a Hynes) that would be great business. I wouldn't mind if we needed to offer someone like Arthurs or Isaako in a season swap deal to make that happen.

I'm honestly not too concerned about FB. There's always quality outside backs coming through the NRL and I'm confident we could poach the right one with the right recruitment strategy in place. Look at CNK, Walsh and Laurie - it's only a matter of time before another young kid comes through looking for a start. We just have to be on the front foot with getting them in the door when we see the opportunity.

I agree with others that we should be prioritising halves as getting this side off the bottom of the ladder will be more dependent on a 7 & 6 rather than a FB.

The most obvious signing to me is Drinkwater. 1) he won't be first choice at his current club in 2022, 2) he will be relatively cheap, 3) he covers multiple spine positions.

Reynolds or SJ would be perfect foil at 7. No need to go into the reasons why as their quality is already evident. Throw the kitty at them provided it's not a long term deal.

No interest in bringing Su'A back. If he's regressing under Wayne then it's a big no from me. I worry Capewell will be a bidding war and I don't think he's worth hitching our wagon to if he's chasing big bucks. If we can get him cheap then for sure he'd be a great signing.

This would excite me for 2022 and is somewhat realistic.
1. Farnworth
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Niu
5. Coates
6. Drinkwater
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Carrigan

If we can pick up a decent second-choice FB from another club (say a Hammer, Ramsay, or a Hynes) that would be great business. I wouldn't mind if we needed to offer someone like Arthurs or Isaako in a season swap deal to make that happen.

I think pretty much agree. Sign a cheapish fb and an expensive half. Hopefully a hooker option pops up.

1. Hynes / Drinkwater
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Coates
5. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. DCE/Reynolds/Moses
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. ??? (Carrigan)

Staines from Panthers looks like he could be worth chasing but I'm not sure how long he's signed for. Everything he does seems to come easy for him and is one of thesr players that seems to have lots of time.
I know he is only playing wing at the moment but there is a serious logjam for fullback at the Panthers.
Has anyone else been keeping an eye on him?

Staines from Panthers looks like he could be worth chasing but I'm not sure how long he's signed for. Everything he does seems to come easy for him and is one of thesr players that seems to have lots of time.
I know he is only playing wing at the moment but there is a serious logjam for fullback at the Panthers.
Has anyone else been keeping an eye on him?
Penrith have him locked away.

Really good post but our management would have read only this and got excited.
Yeah it would be less than ideal for us long-term but these have proven to work recently.

I'm reluctant to let Isaako go for good and I think a season at another club could do wonders for his confidence. Even if he's stuck out on the wing for a top 8 side he'll be better for the experience away from the spotlight in Brisbane and who knows, he may even return a better player.

Of course we would have to give back whoever we took on, but if it improves our project as a prospect for potential signings and climbs us up the ladder, it would be worth it.

The upside could be that whoever fills our spot at FB has a break out season like Grant did and simply becomes too good to not start. May force a rival clubs hand into letting go of someone they don't want to.

Is anyone panicking in the Broncos hierarchy!? Or do they just make all their money from the Leagues club pokies?

I guess the club is lucky Covid was around last year because Suncorp attendance would have been scary low. Almost guaranteed 30+k every home game up to a couple of years ago, now would be lucky to get 20k...

I don't understand why so many posters aren't concerned about fullback.
We need a quality fullback with a work rate about 3 times that of Isucko and the skill of a 6 .
Isucko isn't close to being an NRL quality fullback.

I think pretty much agree. Sign a cheapish fb and an expensive half. Hopefully a hooker option pops up.

1. Hynes / Drinkwater
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Coates
5. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. DCE/Reynolds/Moses
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. ??? (Carrigan)

i like this team... i would re-sign Asiata for at least another season. IMO, we haven't used him properly.

Carrigan should be moved into the prop rotation and Asiata should start at lock playing decent minutes

i like this team... i would re-sign Asiata for at least another season. IMO, we haven't used him properly.

Carrigan should be moved into the prop rotation and Asiata should start at lock playing decent minutes

Provided he is cheap, yep I agree. At worst he is good depth, at best he is a point of difference.

I think your not wrong with Lewis, his defence is good enough to be a lock in this new look game, has the ball playing and kicking to fit that style of player. Young Walter is also likely able to do that job also, but not sure if he can tackle.
Is Lewis "proven" NRL quality though..? Reckon the juries slightly out there..

Lewis one big asset as a half is his kicking game. Is that what you want from your 13 though?

I cant recall watching him (limited time i admit) and seeing true ball playing skills from him before, but i acknowldge the team he plays for etc...

On paper, he does look like a potentially good ball-playing lock suited to the 6-again rule.

In reality, im not sure..

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • rnabokov
  • Gaz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.