Loyalty to players

Gidley and Berrigan both are/were good selections IMO. Both utilities that should be used differently. Berrigan was the perfect proper utility - he could fill in the backs and hooker, but was mostly used as a back rower since there weren't any injuries most of the time. And he did his job well, surprisingly well for a smaller man.

Gidley can also cover most positions in the back line, including the halves, but he's also just about the best hooker they have atm, before Buderus came back. He should be used in a Ben Hunt-ish sort of role, coming in and just running from dummy half against tired defenders. It's a strategy that has actually worked well for NSW in the near past, when Craig Wing used to come on and provide plenty of impact.

Does Bronco man know that Thurston was the halfback in 2005 when we lost the series. He was also the halfback in Game 1 2006 when we lost. If he was a NSWelshman there is no doubt that after Game 1 2006 he would have been replaced by Scott Prince - who had just won a premiership with the Tigers. YET, he was persisted with.

Cam Smith made his debut in 2003. We lost 2004, 2005. Do you think he would have been persisted with again if he was NSW? Hmmm.

And as for Wesser, Schifofske, Mogg & Co. The weren't dumped from the team! The first choice backs were injured, so they were brought into replace them. In game 3 2006 we were descimated by injury. Steven Bell, Hodges, Inglis, Hunt all out injured. We had the nuftiest backline of nufties there ever was!

----
Also, anyone else notice that Greg Inglis aligned himself with QLD A LONG TIME BEFORE we were a dominant state? He said he wanted to play for QLD when everyone was saying Origin was finished, QLD will never win again etc etc etc. Food for thought.
(Probs for another thread, but I'm a lazy mofo)

-----

The diffrerence with Berrigan v Gidley. Gidley goes out and has the majorist brain snaps and loses matches for NSW. Berrigan supported the main guys and didn't overplay his hand.

Gidley is one of the fittest and most versatile players in the game, and if he was fit he would be some of the 1st players I would pick.

........on the bench :haha:

NSW have "special" selectors. They used to think it was a good idea to have the captain of the side sitting on the bench. I guess that limits his somewhat undependable match play.

Gidley shouldn't be anywhere near SOO in 2012.......not even sitting in the crowd.

When has a Qld player ever made themselves unavailable for selection?

Gorden Tallis, Ben Ikin, Shane Webcke, Matt Sing, Steve Renouf and Gary Larson off the top of my head.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • LittleDavey
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • eggstar10
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Wolfie
  • Mick_Hancock
  • I bleed Maroon
  • jd87
  • Aldo
  • Morkel
  • Midean
  • Volvo Driver
  • Strop
... and 66 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.