NEWS Macca is as good as gone

Surely they’re desperate now? Looking at their squad I don’t really want anyone other than Hunt if he wants to play hooker and I’m not sure they can just refund what we’ve already paid him. So what can we actually gain here?

You wouldn't take Lomax or Dufty?

To do what? Dufty can’t tackle and defence is needed this year. Lomax is fine but we are covering centre fairly well until Staggs returns.

Both are probably better than their Broncos counterparts. I'd take either of them for Macca, perhaps Hunt if he was committed to hooker. But he's not.

Surely they’re desperate now? Looking at their squad I don’t really want anyone other than Hunt if he wants to play hooker and I’m not sure they can just refund what we’ve already paid him. So what can we actually gain here?
I'll take Billy Brittain... played 80mins for Souths a few times when Cook was out and won Canterbury Cup player of the year.

Would come on base wage and offers a serviceable back up that isn't over the hill

Both are probably better than their Broncos counterparts. I'd take either of them for Macca, perhaps Hunt if he was committed to hooker. But he's not.
Not a fan of Isaako but Dufty is pretty much just fast and because he can not defend is not what we need in this team. Lomax might be a better option than Niu or Farnworth but they’re both prospects for the future. Wouldn’t look good replacing them and then losing them when Lomax heads home. It’s deeper than just a one for one replacement like fantasy footy

Not a fan of Isaako but Dufty is pretty much just fast and because he can not defend is not what we need in this team. Lomax might be a better option than Niu or Farnworth but they’re both prospects for the future. Wouldn’t look good replacing them and then losing them when Lomax heads home. It’s deeper than just a one for one replacement like fantasy footy

Isaako can't defend well, but at least Dufty offers a bit more in attack.

We won't get anyone though most likely.

McInness gone for the year after tearing ACL. You can’t make this stuff up

do dragons have room in cap for both macca and mccinnes? I thought they were offloading mccinnes to get macca? does this effect any of that?
or was he always staying at dragons this year?

It’s simple. We say “oh btw, remember the amount we agree to chip in toward Bird’s contract. Let’s go ahead and half that”

I put it down to two things: our cap is cooked and a poor year for player movements.
The club seems to be holding off all signings and re-signings at the moment, which is interesting. I guess we’ll see how that pays off.

I respect your opinion re footy so I am concerned when you are being pessimistic. What would you have done different so far?

What movements have other teams made that the broncos should have done?

I am kind of glad that no big decisions were made while Seibold and White were still running the show, we might have missed out on a few decent signings but at least other than Flegler we haven’t given away any more stupid contracts.

Asiata isn’t a breathtaking signing but he has the potential to be a Fogarty type of improvement.
Well right off the bat, I would never have anointed McCullough as a potential captain. Not only was he a questionable fit in the starting 17, but there was every chance he wouldn't even be at the club and that's what happened. It's just a terrible look to have your supposed favourite for captaincy walk out on your club and that could have been all avoided.

I've shared what I would have done previously but I can't remember all the specifics. Essentially I wanted to see Kev cut the depth talent and look to sign some fringe first-graders from other clubs that fit a specific style. One name was Alvaro who is a really good defensive prop forward and actually came up through the Broncos lower grades. Another was Brayden McGrady, a rangy outside back from the Panthers who actually came up through Goondiwindi. He had some bad luck with injuries the year prior but he knows his way to the try line and is very difficult to stop up close.

Kev didn't necessarily have to sign those players, but I would have liked to have seen some vision. Instead, he's essentially come to the club, re-signed the bulk of those players and then brought in players like David Mead who is beyond it. Between that and Albert Kelly, it seems like Cartwright is having more say than Kev.

I think so far the only players that fit what I wanted to see was Isaiah Tass and reportedly Billy Walters which is ridiculous.

I don't think they had to make a huge signing either, but they should have been able to make some astute signings.

Holbrook went out and signed some big names AFTER he did something with what he was given. KW is not at a similar stage, a game hasn't even been played. By the end of season 21 if KW hasn't made some significant signings such criticism may THEN be warranted.

You say the difference is Holbrook was constantly looking to 'make changes'. So you believe KW isn't looking to make changes? KW hasn't made changes? The list you rattled off hardly are big names, Fogarty? Kelly?.

You say they all brought something new yet KWs new guys, who may similarly bring ' something new' haven't even been given a single game to show it yet are your examples of 'the difference' !!
It isn't about signing big names, it's about making the appropriate changes. As Holbrook demonstrated, he went and signed these underappreciated players who fit his style of play and wasn't stuck with the likes of Kallum Watkins, Shannon Boyd, Tyrone Roberts etc. He also managed to sign Tino Fa'asuamaleaui before the season started, so he signalled his intentions very early on.

Walters is taking a different approach. He's trying to provide his squad with more security when a lot of these players don't deserve it, especially the ones that were brought in under Seibold. The only new face he's brought to the NRL squad is John Asiata who came in at the expense of Ofahengaue. It's the one feather in his cap so far and it doesn't off-set the issues with the squad.

I think that Kev might be trying to make the most of a difficult situation.

Looking in from the outside, it seems our cap management has been truly shit. To add to that, there's a dearth of quality players available at the moment, so Kev is just doing what he can to clean things up, perhaps with a view to making some signings for 2022 or 2023.

Being a former Bronc himself, and coach of the Queensland team, I'm fairly sure he'll have more of an idea than Seibold as to what the squad is like, the attitude of some of the fellas, etc.

I've got trust in him.
The issue is that Kev doesn't have a lot of time to work with. Fans are happy to stick with him for now, but if the squad is being out-played regularly or have the audacity to have an off night it won't take long for the pitchforks to come out. Walters doesn't have the full support of the board and it seems like he was given the position as a PR exercise.

He's obviously walked into a difficult situation, but he has to make every post a winner and so far it seems like things are only getting worse.

Really good points.

Some people are already dismissing Walters / the team before a ball has even been kicked.

They may even be right too, but I’m keeping my powder dry until we’re at least 10 or so games into the season before I start to be concerned, let alone baying for blood like some seem to be.
I believe in calling a spade a spade. I'm not going to grab a jersey, write my list of demands and throw it at the entrance of the leagues club but I'm not going to lie to people and say everything is all good either.

Things change in Rugby League very quickly. I don't think the Broncos are necessarily on their way to another wooden spoon just yet, but hardly anything they've done has convinced me of Kev.

I believe in calling a spade a spade.

Noted....thanks.

Baseball Reaction GIF by MLB Network

Play hard ball...real hard ball. We owe Saints nothing, the landscape has changed..gutted for Mcinnes but...this is where the club can get some of its backbone back...

Wendell Sailor:

“Macca will be at the Dragons. Anthony Griffin and him have a bit of a bond there. I’m happy for Macca to be at the Dragons for two years. But if they’ve offered three years to a 31-year-old whose done his ACL… I think it’s a bad business decision.”

Mark Geyer:

“Hook wants to surround himself with some familiarity and that is McCullough obviously. The Dragons need a really good start to the season. They’ve been the losers this off-season the Dragons because of the negativity that is surrounding them. They need something to go their way. If McCullough is that man and Griffin is familiar and comfortable with then so be it. I’m not scared of that. It’s not a scary spine when you consider the Storm’s, Penrith’s, South Sydney’s. That’s the buzz word these days – the spine. If you have a good spine, you’re going to win 75 per cent of your games."

McHunt

Last edited:

Active Now

• Organix
  • kiwi2
  • mieko
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Strop
  • Bish
  • KeithustEndaf
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • kman
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.