NEWS Macca is as good as gone

This year will largely be about rebuilding the attitude and culture in the club, and as such i think the new signings are largerly based upon the character of the players. They are mostly clean skins and Yes they are less talented, but for that reason they have had to work harder and dont take playing first grade for granted. This example, and demonstration of what a privilige it is to be a bronco could be of benefit to our younger players who currently have that entitled chip on their shoulder.

Many of the new signings were for one year only too. So i think kevie is freeing up some money for next year so we can get some new signings/resign players who will make us more competitive in the future.

Tear what though? ACL, PCL, Pectoral...
Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

I don't have an issue with minimum wage signings but we've let go some marquee types and even some very good ones, plus some plodders also. There is not one even very good player who has come in, they are all plodders and reserve graders and hasbeens. If they were accompanying a big in, I'd be all for it. But right now, as it stands, there is not one even slightly significant in to replace any of the very significant outs in Bird, Fifita, KNik and Su'A.
Agree there's been no top shelf signings but I can live with that. My main reason for accepting average players is having seen some very average Qld Origin teams beat the living shit out of superstar teams.

Yes, I know origin is three games. In many of those games average players became legends and this year average players playing to their best will see us midtable. I'm content to see us keep a tight rein on spending and I will be happy with a team of no-quit average players.

As weird as it may sound....I thought we were short sighted to let Jack Bird go.
If I knew exactly what the money(in his departure) was I'd know how to feel about it. It seemed as though it was by mutual consent and I feel like we did the right thing in the financial sense but I cannot be sure. I always rated him and would have liked him to have a great season here.

Don’t read in to it too much but Zach Lomax and Paul Vaughan have both started following him on Instagram and vice versa 👀

So far, this offseason feels like when Seibold took over.
Exactly right, the Broncos needed to make changes and had to make sure the players they brought in counted for something. Instead, they've essentially stuck with the same players and the majority of the players they've brought in have been scrap players from other clubs. It reminds me so much of clubs like Parramatta in 2011 when Kearney had to bring in Casey McGuire, Chris Walker, Carl Webb, Paul Whatuira, Reni Maitua etc. and we all know how that worked out for them.

A lot of us were happy to see Kevie receive his shot, but let it be known he's not doing himself any favours.

Exactly right, the Broncos needed to make changes and had to make sure the players they brought in counted for something. Instead, they've essentially stuck with the same players and the majority of the players they've brought in have been scrap players from other clubs. It reminds me so much of clubs like Parramatta in 2011 when Kearney had to bring in Casey McGuire, Chris Walker, Carl Webb, Paul Whatuira, Reni Maitua etc. and we all know how that worked out for them.

A lot of us were happy to see Kevie receive his shot, but let it be known he's not doing himself any favours.
Well, that's one way to view it! I think he knows what he's doing and a lot of these guys will excel and surprise. I'm glad we aren't trying to spend up big. That guy at the Tits, he had a bog average last placed team too and look how he went in a mere 20 rounds. KWs in the same position and knows what can be done with average players who believe.

I just hope the assistants change the poor results this club has had with almost every recruit big or small who have come to the club having turned to rubbish. That, along with the pathetic medical team, suggests the problem is endemic in the fabric of the club.

Last edited:
I just hope the assistants change the poor results this club has had with almost every recruit big or small who have come to the club having turned to rubbish. That, along with the pathetic medical team, suggests the problem is endemic in the fabric of the club.
If I read you right here you're saying whether we've recruited average or elite, they've been ordinary? Mmm, spending small seems like the lesser of two evils, yes?

Well, that's one way to view it! I think he knows what he's doing and a lot of these guys will excel and surprise. I'm glad we aren't trying to spend up big. That guy at the Tits, he had a bog average last placed team too and look how he went in a mere 20 rounds. KWs in the same position and knows what can be done with average players who believe.
The difference is that Holbrook was constantly looking to make changes and made a number of smart signings that helped the Gold Coast play better footy. Names like Fogarty, Kelly, Thompson, Jolliffe, Lisone etc. all brought something new to the club and then on top of that he went out and signed some of the biggest names on the market to give the club something to look forward in the years ahead.

Even then, we'll see whether things work out for the Gold Coast or if signing all these young prospects on crazy deals works out for them.

I put it down to two things: our cap is cooked and a poor year for player movements.
The club seems to be holding off all signings and re-signings at the moment, which is interesting. I guess we’ll see how that pays off.

I respect your opinion re footy so I am concerned when you are being pessimistic. What would you have done different so far?

What movements have other teams made that the broncos should have done?

I am kind of glad that no big decisions were made while Seibold and White were still running the show, we might have missed out on a few decent signings but at least other than Flegler we haven’t given away any more stupid contracts.

Asiata isn’t a breathtaking signing but he has the potential to be a Fogarty type of improvement.

Last edited:
The only down side I see with Macca leaving is how close he is with some of the younger fellas ie Dearden and Coates.
Depending on how things in the background have played out between he and the club, I could see him telling those younger boys to look after themselves and explore their options.

Side note: surely we have now freed up at least 800k to spend this year when you look at the ins/outs.
We need the merry-go round to start again but, I do feel like this will be it.
Another long season ahead I’d say..

The only down side I see with Macca leaving is how close he is with some of the younger fellas ie Dearden and Coates.
Depending on how things in the background have played out between he and the club, I could see him telling those younger boys to look after themselves and explore their options.

Side note: surely we have now freed up at least 800k to spend this year when you look at the ins/outs.
We need the merry-go round to start again but, I do feel like this will be it.
Another long season ahead I’d say..
Well he would be an asshole if he did that all things considered. What he should be telling them is this club will look after you if you do the right thing. He should be saying to them “they could have kept me here and could have used me as cover because I took up my player option, but they let me go secure my future”.

Its the right move for everyone. Macca is very well thought of by the playing group. If the Broncos denied him this move that can secure his playing future for 3 years it wouldnt have gone down well. It wouldnt have been on the same scale as Bennett leaving, but it would have had an impact. Sometimes you have to do whats best for the player. It gets your club a good reputation.

Bit sad to see him go. His attitude and work ethic are a great example to the younger blokes and will be badly missed imo, but there is no denying he is on the decline. The big concern for me now is we are left with a hooker who is high impact but isnt an 80 min hooker imo and tends to burn out, and a hooker who would rather be playing in the halves. Our other options seem to be Levi or Luke. Not really inspiring choices.

Last edited:
Its the right move for everyone. Macca is very well thought of by the playing group. If the Broncos denied him this move that can secure his playing future for 3 years it wouldnt have gone down well. It wouldnt have been on the same scale as Bennett leaving, but it would have had an impact. Sometimes you have to do whats best for the player. It gets your club a good reputation.

Bit sad to see him go. His attitude and work ethic are a great example to the younger blokes and will be badly missed imo, but there is no denying he is on the decline. The big concern for me now is we are left with a hooker who is high impact but isnt an 80 min hooker imo and tends to burn out, and a hooker who would rather be playing in the halves. Our other options seem to be Levi or Luke. Not really inspiring choices.
We’ll have Kev jr

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.