NEWS Mal Meninga open to swapping Ash Taylor with NRL rival

It seems craziness from his player manager to recommend he walk away from that kind of money.... I wonder if the player manager got paid their commission upfront??

I doubt the manager will not get his commission under any circumstances.

I doubt the manager will not get his commission under any circumstances.

i'd say your right ... depends on the agreement he has with his manager.

although it could just be deducted from his pay check, meaning if goes to a lower wage, his manager gets a lower commission

Last edited:
i doubt the player manager is recommending it.
Well the rumours are out there at the moment so you would think somewhere along the line the manager has been in contact with Ash to outline his options moving forward.

Potentially he has recommended that he walk away from $2m and start again or he has strongly recommended against it and told him to start fresh in QLD cup (where he may end up anyway), keep earning your cash and try to work your way back into the titans starting team, with the only con seemingly being the public scrutiny against him.

It could be somewhere in the middle as well with Titans paying a severance (that they wear on the cap), whilst Ash signs a new contract elsewhere, but he'd still be walking away from a lot of guaranteed money.

Last edited:
The problem for ash imo was the large contract and the pressure that comes with it. He needs to realize that money isn't everything and earning $150k a year isn't bad , the kid needs a fresh start.
Severe ties and move on, be it here or another club or even away from footy.

Well the rumours are out there at the moment so you would think somewhere along the line the manager has been in contact with Ash to outline his options moving forward.

Potentially he has recommended that he walk away from $2m and start again or he has strongly recommended against it and told him to start fresh in QLD cup (where he may end up anyway), keep earning your cash and try to work your way back into the titans starting team, with the only con seemingly being the public scrutiny against him.

It could be somewhere in the middle as well with Titans paying a severance (that they wear on the cap), whilst Ash signs a new contract elsewhere, but he'd still be walking away from a lot of guaranteed money.
Surely it's gotta be pretty tough to play Queensland Cup every week when your earning a million bucks a year and you're playing alongside guys who are working other jobs to make a living. Even if he was playing well and was fairly well liked, it's still a really tough scenario to deal with within a team dynamic and culture.

On top of that, you've gotta think there would be a few opposition Forwards out there who would relish the chance to put the hurt on a young Halfback who gets paid more than your whole team.

Last edited:
On top of that, you've gotta think there would be a few opposition Forwards out there who would relish the chance to put the hurt on a young Halfback who gets paid more than your whole team.
It might do him some good.

Like **** he’s going to do that, No one would! unless someone had a gun to your family’s head. He could bust his leg then he’s cooked.

Not just at you @Galah but I really wish folks would stop posting these kind of comments

Nobody knows for sure what somebody else might do

No doubt turning down 2 mill for the possibility of a long career and more money is a risk, but it's just that, a risk, not a guarantee of failure

He wouldn't be definitely losing 2 mill, he would be risking 2 mill for potentially more

That might be a risk he is willing to take, we can't know either way

And even then we are only talking about money

Perhaps he might get some advice from a wise family member saying that money isn't everything and in fact being Ca$h Taylor may be the cause of his mental demons, and that he would better off remembering why he plays the game in the first place - because he loves it - better off playing for the love of the game on base money for 1 or 2 seasons and get your head back on straight. After that, let the contracts sort themselves out. You only need 1 big contract to set yourself up for life anyway.

And should he not get that big payday and he does miss out on 2 mill, hopefully he has his personal issues sorted out and he is a better and happier person for the rest of his life

I don;t know what choice I would make because I am not in that position, but what I can tell you is that there is definitely a decision to make there, i.e. it's not a no-brainer

Like **** he’s going to do that, No one would! unless someone had a gun to your family’s head. He could bust his leg then he’s cooked.

Val Holmes did exactly that.

he went from million dollar a season contract offers in the NRL to roughly a 100k a season in the NFL.

if it pays off for him he will make significantly more, if not (which was always a strong possiblity) then he is down several million dollars, with no guarantee he could make it back to the million dollar NRL contracts if he was unsuccessful in the US, especially since he would be out of rugby league for 1-2 years

Taylor had an opportunity to come back to the club last year. He chose the money, he can live with his choices. A lesson to be learned here is sometimes taking less in the short term can reap major benefits in the long run in terms of a successful career.

Val Holmes did exactly that.

he went from million dollar a season contract offers in the NRL to roughly a 100k a season in the NFL.

if it pays off for him he will make significantly more, if not (which was always a strong possiblity) then he is down several million dollars, with no guarantee he could make it back to the million dollar NRL contracts if he was unsuccessful in the US, especially since he would be out of rugby league for 1-2 years
Bit different, he’s very marketable and never had a massive form dip. if he makes it he’ll earn 10x what he ever will here. Say he doesn’t and comes back next year, he knows and his manager knows he’ll get close to a mill a year anyway.

Bit different, he’s very marketable and never had a massive form dip. if he makes it he’ll earn 10x what he ever will here. Say he doesn’t and comes back next year, he knows and his manager knows he’ll get close to a mill a year anyway.

coming back to form as our halfback could also be very profitable for Taylor as it would open up all sorts of unrestricted TPA's that his manager could get for him

Not just at you @Galah but I really wish folks would stop posting these kind of comments

Nobody knows for sure what somebody else might do

No doubt turning down 2 mill for the possibility of a long career and more money is a risk, but it's just that, a risk, not a guarantee of failure

He wouldn't be definitely losing 2 mill, he would be risking 2 mill for potentially more

That might be a risk he is willing to take, we can't know either way

And even then we are only talking about money

Perhaps he might get some advice from a wise family member saying that money isn't everything and in fact being Ca$h Taylor may be the cause of his mental demons, and that he would better off remembering why he plays the game in the first place - because he loves it - better off playing for the love of the game on base money for 1 or 2 seasons and get your head back on straight. After that, let the contracts sort themselves out. You only need 1 big contract to set yourself up for life anyway.

And should he not get that big payday and he does miss out on 2 mill, hopefully he has his personal issues sorted out and he is a better and happier person for the rest of his life

I don;t know what choice I would make because I am not in that position, but what I can tell you is that there is definitely a decision to make there, i.e. it's not a no-brainer
Fair response, I just figured he’ll probably realise that even if his form improves no one will risk offering him another deal as rich as the one he’s on now, I know I wouldn’t.

I hope he does sort himself out he could be one hell of a player.
[automerge]1569820280[/automerge]
coming back to form as our halfback could also be very profitable for Taylor as it would open up all sorts of unrestricted TPA's that his manager could get for him
Absolutely, but do you see anyone offering him the same kind of coin again? Knowing his game went to shit after his huge contract? It’s not the sole reason why it went to crap but it was definitely one of the reasons.

Last edited:
Fair response, I just figured he’ll probably realise that even if his form improves no one will risk offering him another deal as rich as the one he’s on now, I know I wouldn’t.

I hope he does sort himself out he could be one hell of a player.

as i said in another thread, If the lives up to his potential he possesses all the attributes to be a 10 year Origin player.

and if he lives up to his potential, he'll have clubs backing dump trucks full of money to his place to try and convince him to sign with them.

but right now, it is a very big if ... his attitude, work ethic and consistency, don't even go close to matching his talent and talent alone will only get you so far in this game. This is why that at the current point in time, he is only worth the risk on a modest contract ... hopefully the Titans haven't ruined him for good ...

as i said in another thread, If the lives up to his potential he possesses all the attributes to be a 10 year Origin player.

and if he lives up to his potential, he'll have clubs backing dump trucks full of money to his place to try and convince him to sign with them.

but right now, it is a very big if ... his attitude, work ethic and consistency, don't even go close to matching his talent and talent alone will only get you so far in this game. This is why that at the current point in time, he is only worth the risk on a modest contract ... hopefully the Titans haven't ruined him for good ...
Agreed, if he shows consistently over at least three years he’s past all the bs. I’m still not sure teams will go overs for him but he’ll earn a bloody good living.

He was saying a million a year for two years. But it’s about the long game. Do you sit in QCup for two years on a mill a year and fade away or take 110K for a year, hopefully come good and set yourself up for ten plus years?

That is how it should be looked at. You can guarantee whatever scumbag manager he has will not let that happen. Poor advice from his manager was probably what landed him at the Coast in the first place.

That is how it should be looked at. You can guarantee whatever scumbag manager he has will not let that happen. Poor advice from his manager was probably what landed him at the Coast in the first place.

eh, at the time he was stuck behind Hunt and Milf who we were all drunk on (for good reason) and he probably needed to go develop elsewhere or stagnate.

But the GC was never the move.

This would be the silliest gamble if Ash Taylor was to intentionally take a pay cut to move clubs.

The risk/reward just does not really work in his favor if he does that.

So is it the Titans fault he has gone to shit or is it his own lazy arse fault? If it’s his own fault (and I think it is) then he might as well stay at the Titans on big money and try to sort himself out. I don’t see how moving clubs will fix him.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Gaz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.