NEWS Mal Meninga open to swapping Ash Taylor with NRL rival

He'd be fine on 200k with Croft. Play him as a 6 who is there to be a kick bot, like a Soward/ Arey only with no responsibility. If we can offload cap burdens like Gillett or Macca in the process then that makes it worth it right there.

EDIT: It'd be good for each player if Dearden, Croft, and Taylor were fighting for two spots.

Last edited:
Just a small aside ... watching Ash Taylor highlights on YouTube ... he puts up a bomb and the FB drops it ... Isaako was FB lol hahaha the useless clod Isaako.

We should swap Isaako for Taylor. Value there.

How long until Walsh becomes our goal kicking winger? If the club wants to transition one of them to fullback eventually Walsh has it all over Isaako.

I have a theory, based on nothing but intuition from reading these articles (because they repeat a lot of the same shit over and over anyway so it helps to put the pieces together), but I think Meninga has already offered Taylor to the Broncos for something like 200-300k a year plus a player in return (I reckon McC) and the club have fired back a message with the very public Seibold meeting with Croft and the 150k figure, which is about half what they offered for Taylor.

TL;DR, I theorize both clubs are manipulating the media to try and outmaneuver.
They wouldn't want Macca would they? Peats and Rein are better

doesn't this playing group have enough pressure already after THAT game against Parra,.

Does Ash Taylor look like the type who would thrive under that..??

Listen, i regretted moving him on in the first place as i thought he was superior option to Hunt at the time (i later realized they were both great options regardless of who went...right up until the 2015 GF..!!)

But as a human being i don't think coming here would help him stare down the demons he currently has...hes better off staying where he is for now...

But as a human being i don't think coming here would help him stare down the demons he currently has...hes better off staying where he is for now...

i wouldn't worry about him coming here ... it seems we are only prepared to take him on slightly above minimum wage. the Titans will never pick up 800k of his salary

i wouldn't worry about him coming here ... it seems we are only prepared to take him on slightly above minimum wage. the Titans will never pick up 800k of his salary
Don't discount the NRL bending or manipulating the rules if they need to. The Titans are the last club that can afford a million dollar non-playing headache and if the NRL can help mitigate that problem to keep the Titans out of the shit then I think anything is possible.

Last edited:
Don't discount the NRL bending or manipulating the rules if they need to. The Titans are the last club that can afford a million dollar non-playing headache and if the NRL can help mitigate that problem to keep the Titans out of the shit then I think anything is possible.

Yeah but they are not going to help us out in that pursuit. I can see them allowing him to sign for minimum wage elsewhere and the Titans not having to pay a cent, as long as ‘elsewhere’ is The Roosters.

it doesn't really matter whether the NRL step in or not ... if we can get him for close to minimum wage, then it is worth the risk (not that there would be much risk at that price) ... if we need to pay half his salary to get him, then he can stay rotting away on the coast

it doesn't really matter whether the NRL step in or not ... if we can get him for close to minimum wage, then it is worth the risk (not that there would be much risk at that price) ... if we need to pay half his salary to get him, then he can stay rotting away on the coast
Yeah I completely agree that for a close to rock bottom price he would be worth a look. I'm just saying that perhaps the NRL could engineer a way for him to part ways with the Titans without it impacting their cap. Not to help us necessarily but to alleviate the pressure on the Titans to keep paying a guy that can't play at the moment and that they can't move on because he's tied to an insane contract.

Hard to see that happening in a way that would have him running out for us in Round 1 without the Sydney media burning NRL HQ down, but potentially as a work in progress for later on.

Last edited:
Yeah I completely agree that for a close to rock bottom price he would be worth a look. I'm just saying that perhaps the NRL could engineer a way for him to part ways with the Titans without it impacting their cap. Not to help us necessarily but to alleviate the pressure on the Titans to keep paying a guy that can't play at the moment and that they can't move on because he's tied to an insane contract.

Hard to see that happening in a way that would have him running out for us in Round 1 without the Sydney media burning NRL HQ down, but potentially as a work in progress for later on.
There is absolutely no way that can be facilitated right now, without insane levels of backlash back on the NRL.

If this were an option every club that gets caught cheating the cap will ask for the same... eels had to unload Peats and others before they could start playing, much easier if NRL allow a payout for Peats and he joins another club... same thing for sharks who are trying to dump Dugan and co for cap space... how about us being able to dump Boyd and co with a payout and clear up millions in cap space. Dragons the same with Ben Hunt... maybe not dumping him entirely, but payout a huge portion of his contract and sign him to a new lower contract

Every club have contracts they don't want anymore and would love the opportunity to pay it out and move the players on... NRL would have to set up some sort of shit contract amnesty

Last edited:
Wouldn't it only only work if he resigned from his current contract with Titans and then signed with the Broncos after that contract has been closed.

Wouldn't it only only work if he resigned from his current contract with Titans and then signed with the Broncos after that contract has been closed.
This is what Dobbo (yes, I know) was saying this morning on triple m.
He may forgo his contract to sign with us on minimum wage for a year. He mentioned our success with players like Benji and Herman Alltheesses.

He may forgo his contract to sign with us on minimum wage for a year. He mentioned our success with players like Benji and Herman Alltheesses.
That is theoretically the only way it could happen, but how many millions is he giving up in the process??

That is theoretically the only way it could happen, but how many millions is he giving up in the process??
He was saying a million a year for two years. But it’s about the long game. Do you sit in QCup for two years on a mill a year and fade away or take 110K for a year, hopefully come good and set yourself up for ten plus years?

He was saying a million a year for two years. But it’s about the long game. Do you sit in QCup for two years on a mill a year and fade away or take 110K for a year, hopefully come good and set yourself up for ten plus years?
I get the thinking, but he could also give up 2 million for 110k, do his ACL in qcup next year or struggle his way to another $110k contract... never get back to his peak and potentially retire in 3-5 years time with $1-2m sitting on the table back at the titans.

It seems craziness from his player manager to recommend he walk away from that kind of money.... I wonder if the player manager got paid their commission upfront??

It seems craziness from his player manager to recommend he walk away from that kind of money.... I wonder if the player manager got paid their commission upfront??

i doubt the player manager is recommending it.

Like **** he’s going to do that, No one would! unless someone had a gun to your family’s head. He could bust his leg then he’s cooked.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • bert_lifts
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.