Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn

I haven't seen any of it but I'll watch it with the sound off and score it as I see it....I've been watching the boxing since Ali and I reckon I'll know who really won......mind you, Horn may have but if those stats are true it sounds like a fix.

I thought Pacman won but 116 - 112 would have been about right. The stat suggest a complete dominance which simply was not the case.

The world wide outrage has begun though and the disbelief form the bastions of a fair go and correct decisions (USA) is deafening.

I haven't seen any of it but I'll watch it with the sound off and score it as I see it....I've been watching the boxing since Ali and I reckon I'll know who really won......mind you, Horn may have but if those stats are true it sounds like a fix.

Keen to see your assessment then Huge.

Well, I've seen round one and Horn sure came to fight ! Using my own money at the moment to watch so I'll wait till later to see the rest.

Horn dominated the first 8 rounds
That's where he won it
If pacman doesn't bludge for the first 8 then he wins
I agree totally. Pac came back hard in 9 and 10 but I think Horn steadied well and finished it off nicely in the last couple of rounds.

Kevvie needs to get Horn in for a pep talk in Origin camp this week surely.

Watched a replay. I'm no expert but seemed so evenly matched to me, impossible for me to call a winner. A great fight imo.

Watched a replay. I'm no expert but seemed so evenly matched to me, impossible for me to call a winner. A great fight imo.

And that's the problem. The judges have not scored 1 round as equal. 115 - 113 is 7 rnds to Horn and 5 to Pacman no 10 all rnds.
Worse still the 117 - 111 card is 9 winning rnds to Horn and only 3 to Pacman.

The 3 judges sit ringside each one on a different side of the ring . No overhead shot from a camera . No replays .
They score what they see from their vantage point . TV coverage is not what the judges see .

That is the reason why fans score fights differently to judges . Fans have numerous angles and slo mo . Judge has a restricted view and no replays .

Agree....and this probably sums up my thoughts on who should have been awarded the fight.

In my mind, to take the belt off the reigning champion, you need to do more than what Horn did, to definitively win that fight.

I think Pacquio has the right to feel slightly hard done by.

And that's the problem. The judges have not scored 1 round as equal. 115 - 113 is 7 rnds to Horn and 5 to Pacman no 10 all rnds.
Worse still the 117 - 111 card is 9 winning rnds to Horn and only 3 to Pacman.

The 117-111 card was wrong. The fight was a lot closer than that, but the 115-113 scorecards were pretty spot on. Difference between the yanks scorecards were every round that was close they gave it to pacquiao because they knew his name and didn't know Horn but everyone in boxing knows, if its close, the home town swing gives you an edge on the scorecard. Pacman lost because he no longer has that killer edge to put people away. He had Horn where he wanted him with plenty of time in rnd 9 and couldn't put him away. He needs to hang them up before he starts embarrassing himself.

The 117-111 card was wrong. The fight was a lot closer than that, but the 115-113 scorecards were pretty spot on. Difference between the yanks scorecards were every round that was close they gave it to pacquiao because they knew his name and didn't know Horn but everyone in boxing knows, if its close, the home town swing gives you an edge on the scorecard. Pacman lost because he no longer has that killer edge to put people away. He had Horn where he wanted him with plenty of time in rnd 9 and couldn't put him away. He needs to hang them up before he starts embarrassing himself.

Usually if a rnd is 10 - 10 or to close to call and they will award it to the defending champ.

Horns skill level was shown up yesterday IMO. If he fights Mayweather anytime in the next 12 months he will be destroyed.
He fought a considerably smaller man and IMO lost.
Good luck to him though I was hoping he would win and I don't really GAF that it's controversial either.
I am old enough to remember when Fenech was robbed in a far more one sided fight against Azumah Nelson and there have been countless examples over the last 20 years with similar results so why shouldn't one of our own get a bit lucky.

Usually if a rnd is 10 - 10 or to close to call and they will award it to the defending champ.

Horns skill level was shown up yesterday IMO. If he fights Mayweather anytime in the next 12 months he will be destroyed.
He fought a considerably smaller man and IMO lost.
Good luck to him though I was hoping he would win and I don't really GAF that it's controversial either.
I am old enough to remember when Fenech was robbed in a far more one sided fight against Azumah Nelson and there have been countless examples over the last 20 years with similar results so why shouldn't one of our own get a bit lucky.

Usually the defending champ fights in his hometown. The yanks and poms carrying on would have expected the same thing if it was their fighter in their hometown. Horn was way more aggressive and that plays on the judges minds too. The fact that people are saying Pacman was robbed is absolute bullshit. The fight was close enough to go either way. I would have lived with a 115-113 scorecard to Pacquiao. I read on the daily mail this morning they had the fight score 119-111 to pacquiao. That's how out of proportion some of this shit is. The fight was a lot closer than that. Some people are just looking at stats and making up their judgements on that basis.

Usually the defending champ fights in his hometown. The yanks and poms carrying on would have expected the same thing if it was their fighter in their hometown. Horn was way more aggressive and that plays on the judges minds too. The fact that people are saying Pacman was robbed is absolute bullshit. The fight was close enough to go either way. I would have lived with a 115-113 scorecard to Pacquiao. I read on the daily mail this morning they had the fight score 119-111 to pacquiao. That's how out of proportion some of this shit is. The fight was a lot closer than that. Some people are just looking at stats and making up their judgements on that basis.

Whilst I disagree with the stats they are not wrong by that much and Pac connected with far more shots than Horn.
I am more than happy to cop the decision in Horns favour but I also like too view it from an unbiased POV.

Agree....and this probably sums up my thoughts on who should have been awarded the fight.
In my mind, to take the belt off the reigning champion, you need to do more than what Horn did, to definitively win that fight.
I think Pacquio has the right to feel slightly hard done by.

Not true . Each round is scored on the 10 - 9 must system . If a fighter wins a round its 10 -9 . Wins well 10 -8 . Wins really well 10 -7 . Each round is discrete from the last . No bias as to who has what belt or ranking . No extra for being the champion . That old cliche gotta take the belt away from the champ is urban rumour . Just gotta out point him the majority of rounds .

Also not true . Each round is scored by effective punches aggression and ring control . No extra points for status .

Not true . Each round is scored on the 10 - 9 must system . If a fighter wins a round its 10 -9 . Wins well 10 -8 . Wins really well 10 -7 . Each round is discrete from the last . No bias as to who has what belt or ranking . No extra for being the champion . That old cliche gotta take the belt away from the champ is urban rumour . Just gotta out point him the majority of rounds .

Also not true . Each round is scored by effective punches aggression and ring control . No extra points for status .

That has always been my understanding and that is what was said during the coverage yesterday.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not claiming to be an expert.

What old commentors say and what the actual rules are can be very different .
Bit like Gus Gould saying a head high tackle is a good hard shot . Get on with it . Its wrong by the rules as they play today . Might have been different in other eras .

Teddy Atlas was all over Pac Mans nuts right from the 1st bell .The other commentator Tim Bradley a world champ boxer thought Horn edged it

Active Now

• Mum-the-meatloaf
  • BroncosMan
  • lynx000
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • bert_lifts
  • Fatboy
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Skyblues87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Battler
  • kiwi2
  • Santa
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bronx48
  • MrTickyMcG
  • upthebroncs
  • HarryAllan7
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.