Maroons rake develops thirst for Origin

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
7a0e9a305479c927c19f69b59875e713

Maroons rake Andrew McCullough desperate for another crack at Origin after strong debut

June 8, 2018

QUEENSLAND hooker Andrew McCullough says he is already hungry for another shot at NSW, as he prepares to turn his attention back to the Broncos on Sunday.

McCullough has declared that he will be right to back up for Brisbane after his Origin debut on Wednesday, with the Broncos heading into a tough clash against the Storm in Melbourne.

The Queensland debutant was one of the Maroons’ best in Origin I, particularly in defence with 42 tackles.

Not only will the Brisbane workhorse now make a quick turnaround for his club, but the 28-year-old is already raring to go for Origin II in Sydney.

Only injury would see McCullough lose his place in the side, and he wants to take what he learned in Origin I into the next match.

“Once I got a taste of it, I want some more,” McCullough said of his first Origin experience.

“It was everything I thought it would be. I loved every minute of it.

“It’s a learning curve and we’re a relatively new team coming together. But we’ll take a lot out of that game and it’s only game one of a three-game series.

“I learnt to just take our moments when we get them. That’s all it is. It was a split second (against NSW) and we were on the back foot.

“We hung in there pretty tough at certain stages but we’d slip on the odd occasion.

“It was my first Origin game and being in that arena, I think we’ll be better for the run.”

Steve Walters, one of Queensland’s great hookers and the current team manager, applauded McCullough’s effort and said it was a good starting point for the No.9, who was brought in as the replacement for the retired Cameron Smith.

“His defence in particular was very good,” Walters said.

“His kick-chase was also important and it is one of the strengths of his game. That really makes a difference. The blokes at the back really appreciated that.

“He gave us what we hoped to get from him. Obviously a win would have been nice, but it is a good start.’’

McCullough said he had no concerns about backing up for the Broncos tomorrow, where he will come up against his Maroons predecessor in Smith.

He will have a final run at today’s last training session before the team had to Melbourne.

“I’ll back up … I’ll repair and I’ll be right to go,” he said

Source: Courier Mail

Unread

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.