Marquee Players

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
There is a push currently to have one player at each club exempt from the salary cap and can be paid up to $1.5M that wil not count towards the regular cap.

So, who are the 16 players you think who would be top of a club's marquee player hit list?

Here's mine, in order:

1. Cameron Smith
2. Greg Inglis
3. SBW
4. Isreal Folau
5. Johnathan Thurston
6. Billy Slater
7. DCE
8. Cooper Cronk
9. Benji Marshall
10. Ben Barba
11. Keiran Foran
12. Jarryd Hayne
13. Sam Burgess
14. Paul Gallen
15. Todd Carney
16. James Graham

That looks pretty good. Though I think Folau is a bit too high, I don't think he's more valuable than a ball player like DCE or Hayne or something. Benji might be high too, though who knows if he's just down on form or past his peak.

Graham isn't a marquee player IMO. Replace his name with that if Farah, who simply has to be on that list.

Hopefully it happens, should more or less mean we can afford the best player in the game every year.
FWIW I think it's a stupid idea, just raise the cap, what's the point of a marquee allowance?

For arguments sake lets say the MA is 1.5M then every club will have to pay their Marquee players 1.5M otherwise that's cap space wasted which a club like the Storm could use in full to pay Cam Smith his 1.5M and have a full 6.3m left where as a player like J Graham is not even close to being 1.5M, or anyone at the Bulldogs (besides Barba if there was that cap allowance) so any club without an absolute star to spend that salary cap space on is at a disadvantage because they don't really get 1.5m of player value with the MA.

Once again - stupid idea if it's for such a high figure. Maybe make it 750k which is exempt from the cap so all clubs can actually utilise the value of the MA without being at a disadvantage and overpaying a player for the sake of it and then raise the overall cap in addition to that. That way the clubs best player can be paid up to 750k more without counting to the normal cap.

I still raise the question, what does the MA provide that a normal cap rise wouldn't? Does it simply allow to pay the best players more money without inflating the general market? If so not more than 750k, there isn't 16 players worth 1.5m, not even 10 IMO.

Last edited:
Graham isn't a marquee player IMO. Replace his name with that if Farah, who simply has to be on that list.
And yes Farah simply has to be on that list, he is marquee in every sense of the word. I would never want Graham on 1.5M regardless of the allowance, he simply is not worth that money, if he is then so is Matt Scott.

Hopefully it happens, should more or less mean we can afford the best player in the game every year.
FWIW I think it's a stupid idea, just raise the cap, what's the point of a marquee allowance?

For arguments sake lets say the MA is 1.5M then every club will have to pay their Marquee players 1.5M otherwise that's cap space wasted which a club like the Storm could use in full to pay Cam Smith his 1.5M and have a full 6.3m left where as a player like J Graham is not even close to being 1.5M, or anyone at the Bulldogs (besides Barba if there was that cap allowance) so any club without an absolute star to spend that salary cap space on is at a disadvantage because they don't really get 1.5m of player value with the MA.

Once again - stupid idea if it's for such a high figure. Maybe make it 750k which is exempt from the cap so all clubs can actually utilise the value of the MA without being at a disadvantage and overpaying a player for the sake of it and then raise the overall cap in addition to that. That way the clubs best player can be paid up to 750k more without counting to the normal cap.

I still raise the question, what does the MA provide that a normal cap rise wouldn't? Does it simply allow to pay the best players more money without inflating the general market? If so not more than 750k, there isn't 16 players worth 1.5m, not even 10 IMO.

It allows us to more easily keep players like SBW, Marshall and Folau in the game. A normal cap rise wouldn't work in the same way as it would inflate everyone's relative worth, whereas a marquee allowance ensures the money goes 100% to the star player.

Put simply, the ARU or NZRU do no want to recruit Dale Copley or Josh Hoffman, but they sure as hell do want Folau and Benji. An across the board increase bumps the wages of Copley and Hoffman needlessly, at the expense of an increase to Folau and Benji. The Marquee allowance bypasses this waste.

It allows us to more easily keep players like SBW, Marshall and Folau in the game. A normal cap rise wouldn't work in the same way as it would inflate everyone's relative worth, whereas a marquee allowance ensures the money goes 100% to the star player.

Put simply, the ARU or NZRU do no want to recruit Dale Copley or Josh Hoffman, but they sure as hell do want Folau and Benji. An across the board increase bumps the wages of Copley and Hoffman needlessly, at the expense of an increase to Folau and Benji. The Marquee allowance bypasses this waste.
It makes sense but if we're going anywhere near 1.5M it should be for up to 2 players otherwise a few clubs will not get the 1.5M of player value and it's just an unfair advantage to the clubs who have the players that would be truly worth that kind of $

1.5mil outside the cap to spend on any player you want sounds perfect.

Eels likely would have got Izzy and that changes their team completely, Bulldogs would be keeping Barba and Brisbane (Wishful) would have chased Q.Cooper.

Bulldogs - Barba
Souths - Inglis
Storm - Smith
Brisbane - Q.Cooper
Tigers - Marshall (Farah would stay without the 1.5)
Eels - Izzy
Roosters - SBW
Eagles - DCE
Raiders - Eh, Williams possibly but still young.
Warriors - Tomkins
Titans - Taylor (Face it they would waste their allowance on him)
Knights - Gidley
Dragons - Widdop
Cowboys - Thurston
Panthers - Soward
Sharks - Gallen

This isn't a list of who I think should have the spot just who I think each club would use it on, I only can't think of anyone the Raiders would need to use it on and clubs like the Dragons, Titans, Panthers and Raiders could easily get better options by chasing stars like Cronk/Slater who I'm sure would love 1.5mil regardless of where they play.

It's a domino effect, if every club has the option to fork out 1.5mil for a star players looking for bigger contracts have options in front of them and clubs who generally would struggle to get a star have a carrot to dangle in front of them.

Spot on Draggx. And as your example shows, not only would we get to keep the potential defectors to Union, we could actually use that money to raid Union's players for once.

love it. We could have the best player in the NRL.

We already have Peter Wallace...............
LOL

love it. We could have the best player in the NRL.
I thought so too, Penny but not really, it won't work that way.

If the "Marquee" allowance was unlimited then yes, in theory we can always have the NRL's best player but limited to 1.5M, every club can afford that and if every club can offer the best player in the game 1.5M then money doesn't matter but things like coach and team do.

After reading Draggx posts, he makes some good points. What a MA would do is for starters, break up the Melbourne Trio because at least one of them would take up a 1.5M offer from another club and it would definitely allow us to raid Union players.

Last edited:
11. Keiran Foran
i had a big ol' lol when i read that keiran foran is among the top 5 highest paid players in the game. hes good, but far out hes nowhere near the top 5. must have a great manager.

this marquee player thing isnt what we need IMO.

IMO what we need is a system where for every year you are in the NRL, you get a discount on the salary cap. for every year you stay at the same club, you also get a discount.

eg.

year 1: $300k = $300k salary cap.
year 2: $300k, 5% discount NRL, 5% club discount = $270k salary cap.
year 3: $400k, 7.5% NRL discount, 7.5% club discount = $340k salary cap.
year 4: $500k, 10% NRL discount, 10% club discount = $400k salary cap

itll encourage players to stay in the NRL as the longer they do, the more money theyll get without fail, and itll encourage one team players for the same reason. jump ship to another club and your club discount starts again at 0%.

i had a big ol' lol when i read that keiran foran is among the top 5 highest paid players in the game. hes good, but far out hes nowhere near the top 5. must have a great manager.
If true then yes he must. He's probably not even top 15 IMO.

The Marquee allowance is less about players' values, but more about keeping those outstanding players in our code. You can't have it for just 3 players, so each club gets a marquee player. I'm happy for it to be used if it means that SBW & Folau are both playing NRL. Who knows it could also lure Cooper, O'Connor, Beale & maybe a few others to come to NRL.

Re: [RUMOUR] Barba to Broncos

i'm guessing that the story about the NRL Marquee player may come true which will allow clubs to pay $1 million dollars outside the cap to keep Marquee players in the game. If that comes into play, the Dogs can keep Barba and poach Folau.

My question is why the hell are we not talking to Folau?

i'm guessing that the story about the NRL Marquee player may come true which will allow clubs to pay $1 million dollars outside the cap to keep Marquee players in the game. If that comes into play, the Dogs can keep Barba and poach Folau.

My question is why the hell are we not talking to Folau?

Surely there must be more rules to this supposed marquee allowance shit than just being able to have a million dollars outside the cap. Like in folaus case, surely a decent percentage of his wage would need to be included in the cap, but the million is there to bump up there pay to meet the money the ARU pays.

I mean if its just allowed to be throw at
Players and completely outside the cap that's just allowing the rich clubs to have a salary cap that's one mil higher than the others. That's ludicrous

It's not ludicrous if all teams are allowed to do the same thing. The increase in the salary cap has further divided the top clubs from the bottom. Players aren't moving as much as previous seasons. I'm sure there'd be a lot more movement if each club could purchase a marquee player.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • broncotville
  • Skyblues87
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.